Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger…

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

23,829134145 (3.96)1 / 763
Member:xhollishx
Title:Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:ya, final book in series, bk 3

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,305)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,347)
I've thought long and hard about this book since I finished it a week ago. I have pretty strict criteria for what constitutes a five-star read, and being able to read the book over and over again is one of them. This book does not meet that criteria. I don't think I ever want to read it again. It was that emotionally challenging for me. However, the unforgettable quality of these books has to count for something, so I am giving this book four stars and the series as a whole five stars. It moved me deeply and had meaning that went far beyond the premise of the story, even if I didn't necessarily like it at times.

This series sort of snuck up on me. It's young adult fiction after all, so how heavy could it be? The first book was bold and exciting, the second managed to shock me and leave me at the edge of a cliff with the dramatic ending, and this third... I don't know if poignant is the word. It was just as exciting and page-turning, it was a one-day read, but this is not a book where everyone gets a happy ending. Difficult choices are made and tragic events unfold. It left me emotionally exhausted, sad, disappointed and at the same time bittersweetly satisfied. I've been trying to pick up other books all week, especially since I was on a nine-hour road trip, but found I couldn't do it. It felt wrong to move on to another story after experiencing so much with these characters. I haven't read many books that had that effect on me.

I'm not going to give any blatant spoilers, but I will say that I should have learned my lesson in Hunger Games and not allowed myself to get attached to ANY of the characters. They are basically gladiators in a cage and soldiers in a war, and people in those circumstances die. I wasn't prepared for a certain scene in this book and it *stunned* me with the ruthlessness of the author.I think her goal was for the readers to experience a significant loss so they could understand the magnitude of the horror of what Katniss went through. War is vicious. It is cold. It is not a respecter of persons. And people who do not deserve to die, who have so much to live for, sometimes die. And although I understood that that was her point, it left me really angry and heartbroken and with a bad taste in my mouth for this book.

In closing, if you have read the first two books you definitely do not want to miss Mockingjay. It was a well-done wrap for a trilogy that I won't soon forget. It's absolutely in my top five for 2010. But be forewarned: this is not a light read and you will not come out the other side unscathed. This book was HEAVY. ( )
  KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
I liked this better than the first two. For one, the violence and action actually had a larger purpose rather than just as part of a kill-or-be-killed reality TV show. Secondly, Collins shows that she doesn't pull punches. I really liked the ending and how Collins illustrated that the capital didn't have a monopoly on corruption and trivializing human life. A great end to the trilogy. ( )
  wisemetis | Aug 28, 2015 |
wow, talk about a disappointing ending book. The first two books were great , and so unique, and then this darn book was a stupid "...and then they fought..." ending. I hope the movies can do something to make the ending more interesting but I guess we'll see. oh well, the narrator was still excellent (audiobook). ( )
  marshapetry | Aug 26, 2015 |
More satisfactory when I was in the midst of reading it than afterwards, when I had time to think about the plot and recognize how choppy it seemed (especially with Katniss repeatedly getting hurt, healing, returning to action, getting hurt, etc.) and how heavy-handed some of the lessons were. The development of Peeta also seemed kind of off, and the love triangle was more annoyingly (if by necessity) at the forefront. While I was immersed in the action, though, none of this seemed to matter and I had a hard time putting the book down. Not sure if that's a testament to Collins' writing or just my ability to suspend disbelief! ( )
  bostonian71 | Aug 21, 2015 |
Well. Probably I shouldn't have listened to Julia, who was unsatisfied with this book and felt the series didn't end as she wanted it to. It has kind of muddied my opinion a bit. I guess, I didn't find it as gripping as I thought I would, since it is a high-octane trilogy that was coming to an end. There were a few surprises, a few tragic deaths, but ultimately the resolution was not unexpected. The coda was a bit hokey, not unlike the one that finished the Harry Potter series, but not quite as cloying as that. I guess I kind of stopped liking Katniss after the first book, and I never really got with her in the finale. I get that she was conflicted, felt responsible for the whole deal, but I found her narcissism wasn't overcome by her bravura and intended self-sacrifice. In fact, I felt that very self-sacrifice fed, rather than excused, her extreme selfishness. Yes, she was traumatized, but I found I just wanted to reach into the pages and give her a good slap. Those boys she surrounded herself with didn't really help either. The one scene that gave me a glimmer of hope that her personality might resolve to my satisfaction (SPOILER: when Peeta is rescued and tells her she's awful, and she hates to hear it because she suddenly realizes it's true) didn't really go anywhere. So, yes, this was a fairly good conclusion to a brutal dystopian story, but I've definitely read better. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,145,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible