Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger…

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

22,976128451 (3.97)1 / 748
Member:xhollishx
Title:Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:ya, final book in series, bk 3

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,245)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,287)
I read this a good while ago but have only just managed to get round to writing a review. I AM REVIEWING THE SERIES AS A WHOLE.

Here's a couple of things we should all think about:

- Why did Collins decide both Peeta and Katniss should survive?
a: Because if Peeta/Katniss died, she would've been bored/got a lot of hate/she thought it wouldn't make the novel as exciting. ARE YOU KIDDING? I WOULD'VE LOVED THAT!

- Why did she create the love-triangle-that-was-never-going-to-happen when there was potential to do so much more?

a: Because love triangles are so IN right now, RIGHT?
Wrong. I loathe love triangles, especially if they aren't executed properly. I reckon the only reason Katniss 'loves' Gale is that they hunted squirrels together, and there were a lot of squirrels in the arena, and that made her sad.

- Why does Peeta remind me of a lovesick puppy? Surely he realises that Katniss in an idiot that is only using him to survive the wrath of Evil President Snow?

a: Katniss is a hot young lady and Peeta is a horny teenager and because they're from the same District, it would've been totally acceptable to boink her brains out.
Seriously though, portraying Peeta as clumsy and incapable of doing anything on his own is actually super annoying. I would've loved him to be more like Gale, considering Gale's attributes aren't really needed because HE'S HARDLY EVER IN THE STORY.

- Why did Katniss start off as a super-strong, kick-ass, bad-ass character, but soon morphed into a whiny, self-centred, idiot?

a: Because having a strong heroine throughout the book would've been stupid. I mean, everyone knows girls can't do anything by themselves, right?

Wrong. Having a strong, main character throughout the whole book would've been totally awesome and it would've proved that girls are JUST AS STRONG/COOL/THOUGHTFUL/WITTY AS MEN.

- Why did Katniss NEVER THINK about anyone but her self?

a: Peeta had nightmares too, you know. He did things he wasn't proud of either. A lot of people in the Districts lost a lot more than just their pride, you self-centred JACKASS.

- What's the back story, guys? What actually happened to North America?

a: I would've loved to know what happened/how it happened. It would've made the story so much stronger because of it.

- Why do we not know anything about the revolution/rebellion/initial uprising that caused the destruction of one of the biggest countries in the world?

a: This gives me reason to believe that Collins couldn't construct a believable enough story to feed us, therefore she decided to omit it entirely.

Big mistake there, lady.

- Is it because [a:Suzanne Collins|153394|Suzanne Collins|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1366212557p2/153394.jpg] was more interested in the love-triangle-that-was-never-going-to-happen rather than giving us a good, solid background story to rely on?

a: I'm bored of books concentrated solely on love stories. Sure, THG series worked well with the whole I-have-to-be-with-Peeta-otherwise-my-family-and-everyone-I-love-dies-including-Gale-although-he's-hardly-ever-mentioned excuse, but it could've done without the soppy bits and that had nothing to do with the actual story.

- How was this love triangle ever going to work?

a:We never see Gale. He's mentioned a handful of times in the first book, hardly ever in the second book (apart from the totally out of the blue kiss) and he proved himself to be a total Grade A Asshole in the third. [SOURCE: MOCKINGJAY]

- What's the point in writing about The Hunger Games when, as readers, we don't really see much of them because we are constantly inside Katniss' head and her fixation with food?

a:I get that you're poor and hungry but seriously, STOP.TALKING.ABOUT.FOOD.

- Why do we not know much about Peeta?

a: Considering Peeta is an important part of the story, why don't we know anything about him at all? Apart from the fact that once upon a time he chucked burnt bread at Katniss and then stalked her everyday to and from school, we really don't know anything about him. I, as a reader, find it hard to sympathise with him because he's a blank canvas. He doesn't seem like an actual human being.

- Why are his nightmares/fears/obsessions not mentioned?

a: As a reader, I came to the realisation that Peeta saw a lot more horror than Katniss. He became best buds with the Careers who killed everything and anyone in their way and that's a trauma in itself. But I'm going to mention that fact that he was kidnapped, tortured and imprisoned, but we STILL can't sympathise with him because we're constantly inside Katniss' head, skipping training sessions and trying to figure out who she loves more and why the food tastes so different. [SOURCE: MOCKINGJAY]

- Surely he saw more pain than Katniss did in the Games, considering he was part of the Careers, and they had a habit of killing everything and everyone?

a: He did. The answer to this question is that Collins obviously didn't care much for him.

Don't get me wrong, I really, REALLY liked the series, but these questions are questions that we can't just ignore. I'm all for a strong main character, but when you throw in two love figures, I want to know more about them.

And how was she EVER going to make the love triangle work when Gale hardly ever makes an appearance in the books? In fact, if he didn't exist, it wouldn't have made a bloody difference!

AND WHY DID COLLINS KILL PRIM OFF IN MOCKINGJAY? WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM, WOMAN? SHE WAS A NICE KID. YOU CAN'T JUST GET RID OF HER. YOU HEARTLESS BEING.

^ Can I just mention that the reason Prim died is because Gale designed a stupid-ass bomb? And then, if that wasn't enough, he just buggers off and leaves Katniss to live her life.

So hang on a minute; you DESTROY your love interest's family and then you just disappear? Oh Gale, you really know how to make the ladies swoon for you.

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
Mockingjay is the thrilling end to the Hunger Games trilogy. It starts with our protagonist Katniss Everdeen in district 13. She has learned that President Snow has firebombed her home of district 12 and killed most of its residents. The people of 13 want to have Katniss become the symbol of their rebellion. She helps do propaganda films for the rebellion. She is also torn between Gale and Peeta in a strange love triangle thing. After witnesing genocide, murder, betrayal and much more katniss finally gets to live out the rest of her days in peace.

I think this was an amazing book and a great way to end the series. We learn slowly to love Katniss and we feel her pain. When i first read the book the ending confused me but after rereading it i understand what happened. Suzanne Collins is an amazing author and wrapped up the series well. Even after reading those last words i still felt as if i was still reading. This series is influential and i think will be for a long time. so all in all Mockingjay is an amazing book. ( )
  justiceb.B1 | Jan 19, 2015 |
It took three tries but I finally got through this book. At first I loved Hunger Games and Catching Fire but I just couldn't make it through this one. But then I saw the movie and decided I had to give it another go. For one of the few times the movie actually helped!! Able to read AND enjoy the finale of the trilogy. Katniss faces more danger and challenges and the ending was surprising but overall I really enjoyed it (after two false starts). I can now recommend it (better late than never). ( )
  alsparks324 | Jan 12, 2015 |
My Review: While this trilogy does not compare to the Harry Potter series, and I was pissed and cursing this book with every page I turned, I cannot deny my inability to put it down. I was sucked in from page one and if not for having a life outside of reading, I would have finished this book in half the time.

I will try to leave no spoilers since this is an ending that will truly keep you shocked at every turn. The first two books were TOO predictable for me. Suzanne Collins probably did that to lull her readers into a false sense of security so that when we get to the epilogue we are so exhausted by the ride we don’t know whether to be pissed or pleased. I finished the book feeling a healthy dose of both emotions.

Read the rest of my review here. ( )
  ericadrayton | Jan 8, 2015 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,165,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible