Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger…

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

26,589146039 (3.95)1 / 801
Member:xhollishx
Title:Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:ya, final book in series, bk 3

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,429)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  English (1)  English (1,471)
I read the third one? Something must be wrong. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
This was definitely a bittersweet ending to the series. Though it often made me angry I still loved it. That's the thing about good books to me-they make you feel something. They elicit some form of emotion, whether positive or negative, which is increasingly difficult to do in our desensitized world. I appreciate the author not making everything necessarily tie-up into a sunshine and daises ending too. Sometimes you just need to read something a little harsher with those nitty-gritty emotions. I will definitely miss this tempestuous world that Suzanne Collins created. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Slightly disappointed that I even started reading this book in the first place. I saw that its average rating is 4? Come on.

This book is as boring as hell. Nothing ever really happened to Katniss - she just stood there while things unfolded. I also didn't get the part where they joked about the Hunger Games and laughed. Shouldn't they be experiencing PTSD or something? If you got into a game where people around you tried to kill you any chance they can get, you'll be traumatized; you're not going to joke about it in the future.

If you plan to read this book, skip to chapter three. Or better yet, read something more interesting, like a Chemistry book. ( )
  peterandgelo | Nov 22, 2016 |
The hijacking of the 2010 Bookerthon continues. After the cliffhanger at the end of Catching Fire, it's impossible NOT to pick up Mockingjay at the first opportunity. Also, my kids were dying for me to finish the series so we can discuss it.

I was okay with the way everything wrapped up. (So were the kids--none of them were invested in the love triangle, so no one was upset about how it ended. Also, my nine-year-old loved the epilogue--he said it pulled the whole series together.) My problem with the book was that it seemed oddly paced. The ending felt rushed, and yet there were sections of the book in which little seemed to be happening.

But I still like Katniss and Haymitch and Peeta and Gale, and I was still happy to discover the resolution of their story. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I read this book about a week after reading the first two book in the series, I had to wait to get the book in from the library. It was the longest week in recent history!

I was so excited to see how the series would end, and I admit - I was definitely a little disappointed with this one. I still LOVED it, but it didn't have quite the same amount of, I don't quite know, flavor? that the other two books had. There was just a little something something missing, and instead of reading the book in one night like I did with the first two, it actually took me a couple of nights.

I admit to be dying to reread the whole series again, however, because I suspect that rereading this book a second time will give me new insights into the book. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

3 1948

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,635,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible