Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Info:Scholastic (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Sci-Fi, Dystopia, YA, Hunger Games, 12 in 12

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,212)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,253)
This one, I think, was the most harrowing and painful to read out of all three and I'm so glad it didn't get a happy, happy, happy ending. It was realistic and I liked it.

Even Katniss's nightmares, confusion and depression contributed to this being real. So many books ignores the repercussions that violence can have on it's characters.

Finnick. I fell hard for him and then...I was so upset. And to a lesser degree, Boggs which happened so fast. In the blink of an eye. Gone. War sucks. An understatement but I can't think of better words right now.

The choice of who Katniss was going to pick wasn't much of a choice in the end was it? And was only given 3 pages at the very end. I wasn't on the team that "won" her eventually but I accepted it. That there wasn't much between her and Gale made this easier even though I was dying for them to be together all the way through.

I thought it was funny that Snow's death happened without anyone watching, giving it less importance. I did want to know a little more about the aftermath of Coin's death and the trial though. I wanted Katniss to explain to them her reason for it and see everyone's reaction. I also needed to know some details of the Games with the Capitol's children and Katniss's views on it.

I loved this trilogy. Real, or not real?

Real. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 21, 2014 |

I loved this trilogy. Real, or not real?

Real. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 21, 2014 |
If I have criticisms of this series, they are of this third book. But it is an ending. Endings are tricky things.

At the same time, in ways this is the easiest book to read. I've heard the same thoughts from multiple friends who found the first two books troubling in ways the third was not. The third is a war book. We've all read war books. We think we know what to expect.

But this book breaks the script, too. For one thing, our hero starts out the war already broken. Katniss spends much of the first part of the book suffering from some form of PTSD -- hiding in small places and shirking her duties. Once she is engaged in the fight, it's in stops and starts. The big epic battle at the end is lots of waiting, goofy photo ops, then sudden, unrelenting hell, hiding, strategizing, and then, just... over. But all of these things, while they're not generally what we've been trained to expect from big, Hollywood, relentlessly paced blockbusters, seem authentic. They seem to more closely match accounts of battles I've read that were written by the soldiers who were there.

Now that I've written this far, I have trouble telling you what my criticisms are. They mostly seem petty. Characters who died who I'd rather see live. An act that was shocking -- though not unrealistic, and indeed, for the characters in the situation, hardly any other outcome seems plausible. Things -- political things, organizational things -- that I wish had been fleshed out better, but certainly they would not be explained to Katniss, so I suppose that works out.

All in all, I enjoyed the series. Clearly, as I read all three of them in a matter of days. A very welcome addition to the speculative fiction universe. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Gale annoyed me in this book. I was mad at President Snow to tracker jacking Peeta's brain. And I cried from the point Prim died to the end. It was awesome. Only good books make me cry TT v TT ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible