Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

23,688132646 (3.96)1 / 759
Member:queencersei
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Dystopian

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,292)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,334)
A good conclusion to the series but not as riveting a read as the first. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
i really thought this book would be amazing, after reading the other two. NOPE. uneventful for the first 18 chapters and then that ending?! don't get me started. i'm not even going to merit it with a review because the ending was so awful. i'm disappointed with you katniss. ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games not once, but twice. The second time in an unexpected rescue which deposited her in the mysterious District 13. Long thought to be bombed out, Katniss discovers it is anything but the empty shell portrayed for years. The residents have simply gone underground and developed of new life style. Try as she might Kat cannot seem to fit in, until she is “drafted” into becoming the Mockingjay … symbol of hope to everyone trying to overthrow the capital.

There were a few surprises in this book and there were a few shocks in this book, unfortunately the surprises and shocks were not reserved for the ending … I saw that one coming. Overall it was a good book, true to the characters and true to the story thus far, but somehow lacking. I didn’t feel as invested in the characters as in the first book and found myself having a few “awww – come on” moments. I loved the first book and really like the trilogy but with apologies to all, I think it lost a little of its sizzle as it went on.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I gave the first book in this series three stars because it took me a long time to get into the time and place. I gave the second book five stars because the characters became so much more developed. The drama seemed to reach a pinnacle. This book, I'm back to three stars. I'm more interested in their personal stories than the larger tale of the war, and I felt like I needed to wade through a lot to get back to the characters I was interest in. There were great parts, just not my cup of tea. ( )
  LoriCrane | Jul 13, 2015 |
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12.
*Fantastic end to a fantastic trilogy. Not just for YA but for anyone who enjoys a utopian adventure.* ( )
  imakittycat | Jul 8, 2015 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,398,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible