Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

23,387131347 (3.97)1 / 756
Member:Mitchell_43
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (2010)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,277)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,318)
I have to say that I'm really really disappointed with how this story ended ( maybe because I'm a sucker for Gale).
This book is one of the rare books that I like the movie better than the book story.
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
What a terrible ending to a mediocre series. Most of the book was decent and interesting compared to the others but the last few chapters completely ruined it. Mockingjay totally drops the ball and it's disappointing because there is so much build up and suspense only for it to to not go anywhere. I don't care for epilogues that feel the need to wrap everything up and explains what happens to the characters and that is exactly what the epilogue did in the book. I feel the author just got lazy and didn't want to write a proper ending, but if that was how she intended it to end, wow she shouldn't be a writer. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Book Three in the Hunger Games trilogy.
This review contains spoilers for The Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Still reeling from the loss of District 12, Katniss reluctantly agrees to join the rebellion in District 13. In exchange for embracing her role as the Mockingjay, a symbol of freedom meant to inspire hope throughout the districts, Katniss demands that all former Hunger Game tributes be granted immunity in the upcoming war. Her fellow tribute Peeta is a prisoner of the Capitol, and Katniss knows that the only reason he’s being kept alive is so that the Capitol can use him to control her. As the districts prepare for war, Katniss begins to fear that the lines of good and evil aren’t quite as clear as she once believed. Hit by one personal tragedy after another, Katniss no longer knows if she can trust anyone, even the people she was once held closest to her heart.

If the other books in this series made you sick to your stomach, this one decides to punch you in the gut over and over. With the Capitol in lockdown mode, Panem is a dark, terrible place to live – but as Katniss joins the militaristic District 13, it doesn’t seem as if life will be any better. Already an emotional wreck from surviving two Hunger Games and seeing her home district destroyed, Katniss suffers her greatest traumas here as the people closest to her are captured, tortured, and/or killed. The high cost of war and rebellion nearly sink Katniss with despair, but in the end she still finds that small spark of home, finally becoming the emblem that she has been play-acting as the Mockingjay.

The drama from Katniss’ awkward love triangle often dominates the narrative, even as far more desperate things happen around her. With one guy turning into a militant radical and the other brainwashed to kill her, Katniss spends more time fretting over her relationships than she ever did in the previous two books. She still manages to be a badass, though. When she agreed to become the Mockingjay, Katniss insisted that she have the right to execute Snow after he’s captured. When that day finally arrives, Katniss is fully prepared to do her duty. However, the events since she made the demand have changed her, and while her bloodthirsty desire for revenge burns hot she is also tempered with the knowledge of what Snow’s death will mean for Panem. Her actions ensure that her vengeance is fulfilled, but also preserves her hope for the future of Panem.

There are some good moments, and a pleasant plot twist or two, but for the most part it’s a desperately rushed, horribly depressing conclusion. Collins’ attempt to end on a happy note after all the suffering sorta works if you’re feeling optimistic, but since no one can be an optimist after reading the rest of the novel it instead seems forced and hollow. I wish that Collins had written The Hunger Games as a standalone novel instead of the first book in a trilogy, because the other two books are definitely weaker than the first one. But I also enjoyed spending more time with some of the characters and seeing how the war shaped and changed them. ( )
  makaiju | May 12, 2015 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,176,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible