Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

21,744123161 (3.98)1 / 725
Member:Mitchell_43
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,194)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,235)
*** This review contains spoiler ***

I am totally blown away.It is a masterpiece but did I love it?It's hard to tell.After finishing it I am confused on my feelings.How could you love something so heart wrenching and sad?Yet I am sure I will never forget this one,ever.

Every page of this book is worth reading but wait,it's not for faint-hearted people.You will be disappointed if you are expecting some love triangle showdown.This series is not about romance.I have seen that people are complaining about it because of the lack of love triangle showdown.Honestly what did they expect?This book is so much more than romance or love relationship.And I never felt romance would be the main course of the book.

The book is dark,so dark.It started with Katniss trapped between two sides of power hungry people who wanted to use her for their own good.She lost Peeta to the Capitol,her district was destroyed.She constantly struggled to find meaning of her own life but was lost in depression.Everyone was trying to use her and she had to let them to save her loved ones.She was with the rebels now but it wasn't any different than in the clutches of the Capitol.They were as demanding,controlling and manipulating as the Capitol.But she had to save Peeta from the Capitol,so she became the icon of the rebels,The Mockingjay.

Soon she found out her becoming the mockingjay resulted nothing but torture for Peeta.It was clear in this book that she loved Peeta.Throughout the book she clutched the pearl Peeta gave her.I just knew from the start that she would choose Peeta over Gale.The connection they formed in the arena could never be broken and the people outside the arena could never enter in their distressed world no matter how much they love her.And that's what happened.Gale constantly slipped away from her and she craved more and more for Peeta.But nothing was the same,the way she knew it,not even Peeta.Peeta didn't love her anymore.Capitol altered his memory of Katniss and now he hated her.

After she united the districts against the Capitol the leader of the 13 wanted to get her out of the way.She became a threat,she was on the way of the power hungry rebel leader.But she refused to get away,she will fight until the last.She didn't know how she would have to pay the price.To make her useless,to make her nothing but a lifeless human shell the rebel leader Coin very tactfully murdered her sister Prim along with a lot of other children.This is the hardest part of the book for me.I was crying so hard.The grief of Katniss for losing her sister totally incapacitated me.It was like everything she did,every distress she endured went in vain.And Suzanne Collins is beyond amazing describing her grief.You just can't help but shed tears.She found out the main reason of her sister's death and killed Coin.

After that she got released on the basis of her mentally incapable state.She came to district 12 alone.I was not surprised that her mother didn't come.She was never strong like Katniss.She abandoned her children after their father's death.So it was not really surprising that she abandoned Katniss again.Even Gale abandoned her and I knew he would for a better future or greater good.But Peeta returned and they gave each other support when no one else was around except for a drunk Haymitch.And they started their broken lives with each other from the ruins again.

Really I couldn't think there was any other way to make it more epic.Of course I was devastated by Prim's death but that was the message.You can't win in a war.It always ends with losses no matter which side holds the crown.The only disappointment I felt was the death of Finnick.He deserved a better death.His death was so ignored that it felt he just wasted away.Suzanne Collins should have at least written a few more lines about his end.Except that there was nothing more she could do to make it better.It's not a sunny,happily ever after book.But where happily ever after books will fade away with time it will always remain in people's heart. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
This is a really good book, but not as good as the first book. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
This is a really good book, but not as good as the first book. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Gloom and doom, twists and turns, thought-provoking political commentary; can one ask for a better young adult novel? ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
Unlike all my other friends, this was not my favorite of the series, although it does come in a close second. It started out pretty slow, almost too slow. There were times where I felt it got monotonous, with the countless trips to the hospital, the morphling, the nightmares, etc. but something would happen that would break up the monotony.

The love triangle was played up a little more in this one, which I did like. It served a purpose, but after awhile, it got a little tedious. Without spoiling anything, all I can say about the ending of this triangle is that I liked it, but it wasn't what I wanted to happen. I'll admit, it's a little selfish to say that I guess, but looking back it really couldn't have ended any other way than how it did.

As for the rest of the ending, the first part of it is exactly what I'd hoped would happen, and the return to the Districts is sad, but inevitable. I don't want to give anything away, so you'll just have to look into the rest yourself.

Read it. The whole series. In order. From start to finish. Cover to cover. You won't be sorry. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible