Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins, Elizabeth B Parisi (Designer)

26,163145142 (3.96)1 / 792
Member:hobreads
Title:Mockingjay
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Other authors:Elizabeth B Parisi (Designer)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 390 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:dystopian, contest, future, survival

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,421)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,463)
As always, I had a hard time getting into it at first, but after a while it picked up and it was hard for me to put it down. It really made me want to reread the whole trilogy, and it reminded me that I'm actually a fan of Katniss. She's unique, and cool, and one of the reasons the books are so good is that you're inside her head the whole time.

I suppose I'm also a fan of super twisted, horrific experiences that characters go through, so naturally this horrific torture-filled novel entertained me. The conflict such plots provide is just too interesting.

This book is most definitely sad, but not in a bad way. It's sad enough to provide true horror and, well, sadness. But not so tragic that it makes me mad at the world.

I was not a huge fan of the ending, however. I think it could've done very well without the epilogue. The epilogue was too neat, too tidy, too... I don't know. It just didn't fit with the rest of the books, and definitely not with the rest of Mockingjay. Maybe I'll just pretend it doesn't exist. ( )
1 vote BrynDahlquis | Aug 24, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about the book. I need to think about it more to sort my thoughts. This one is my least favorite of the trilogy. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |

For my combined review of all books in this trilogy - see here. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
I am so sorry to only give this book a three. The third book of the series did not have an umph and I was actually disappointed in a few things that happened in this book. One being the real reason Katniss even went into the first game.

I was disappointed in this book and I was suspecting so much more from this book and I personally liked it but it failed to give me the feelings that the other books in the series were able to give.

Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Intense. Fast paced. Picks up not too long after Catching Fire leaves off. Katniss was rescued by the rebels from District 13 and Peeta was captured and taken to the Capitol. While happy to be reunited with her family and Gale, she is devasted at the thought that she may have lost Peeta.

As Katniss tries to come to terms with the fact that Peeta may not be part of her future, she realizes that she must embrace the cause of the rebellion, knowing that the future, with or without Peeta, is uncertain. As she struggles to accept and understand her role, she also discovers that life in District 13 isn't necessarily any better than it was under Capitol control.

My heart ached when Katniss was finally reunited with Peeta and she realizes how changed he is. Peeta always embodied hope to her. His goodness and kindness were beacons in their dismal, oppressed world and to watch their relationship shatter into pieces was simply heartbreaking. To see Katniss finally view herself through Peeta's altered eyes was tragic. He was no longer the Boy with the Bread who loved her. He was the boy who would look at her and see that she had manipulated and used him. Her fear that their relationship may never be the same is palpable. Yet, I was so frustrated when, rather than do all she could to help get him back, she pushed him away.

As the war against the Capitol rages, the story's pace intensifies. There is a lot of action and this is another one that I can't wait to see how it translates onto the big screen.

Like The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, it's not an easy book to read at times. There is a lot of action and a high body count, but the rebellion is strong and while the course the story follows isn't predictable, it's a logical road for it to take. There are many who will complain about the ending, but I found it appropriate. After what Katniss and Peeta have experienced, after fighting a war and surviving like they have, no ending is perfectly wrapped up. There are going to be loose ends, there are going to be questions, there are going to be consequences.

This is a series that has stayed with me. There's a lot of hype out there because of The Hunger Games film, but even without the film coming out, this series has really stayed with me. I've thought a lot about it. I've reworded and rewritten my reviews. Is it about government oppression? Is it about war and rebellion? Is it about society fighting back? Is it about the haves and have nots? Is it about survival of the fittest? Or, is it about the human spirit and that no matter what happens, you will never kill it off?

I don't have one specific answer. But, I do think this is a great, thought-provoking series and one that I think should be read by both parents and their youth. It's a great springboard for discussion about society, government and relationships. I loved it. I wanted more, especially in the epilogue. But, I loved it.

A fitting end to a fantastic series. Real or not real?

Real. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

3 1912

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,412,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible