Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins, Elizabeth B Parisi (Designer)

22,184124656 (3.98)1 / 729
Member:hobreads
Title:Mockingjay
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Other authors:Elizabeth B Parisi (Designer)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 390 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:dystopian, contest, future, survival

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,207)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,248)
A surprising end to a rather annoyingly narrated series.

Maybe it's by inability to sympathize with the protagonist, or my jaded bias from all the other book series' gone mainstream.

One redeeming quality is the real quality that Collins gives the story. I meant the simple reality that in life there are compromises, and unhappy endings, and that it hurts, but you have to deal with them. This was surprising given the last two books had everyone survive. This gave the story some depth and may have been redeeming for me. ( )
  waelrammo | Sep 14, 2014 |
Just to get it out of the way - I am not a Hunger Games fan.
However, I decided to give the rest of the series a go and yesterday evening I finished off Mockingjay, the last book.

There are many aspects which could be pointed out, but I decided to focus on certain points I particularly enjoyed in the trilogy:
The fact we have a leader who is a female. And you have a dystopian world where bad things happen not only to the helpless, but to whoever gets picked in a damned raffle. Because the tragedy is covered up with beautiful outfits and ridiculous talk shows where you're supposed to smile, when you know you'll be thrown into a field you won't be getting out of alive. Because speaking up won't do anything.
But you have Katniss and her group, who stand up and besides my dislike for her personality, decide, not on purpose, to start a revolution. Katniss is the Mockingjay in command of the destruction of the Capitol, while at the same time suffering from loss, nightmares, fear.
And I like this story because it's a story of strenght and war and change. But I am not a fan of the writing style, of the characters or anything else. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Just to get it out of the way - I am not a Hunger Games fan.

sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
In the first book, Katniss was written as an unselfish girl who went to the Hunger Games as a tribute to District 12 in place of her little sister. This was a selfless act. Her fighting in the arena and her spontaneous actions were amazing as was her silly flirtations with Peeta and Gale, both of whom were not exactly great catches in themselves.

The second book picked up where Katniss left off and cannot stand on its own. I'd definitely call it a sequel to number one, as it dealt more with the rise of the revolution against the dictatorial Capitol with a president of the rebels using Katniss and she resents it fully.

The third book was more of the same, but Katniss spun deeper into her own psychoses, not trusting people, not understanding what they're wanting her to do, not getting the importance of public relations (as the grown-ups do) and seems really, a spoiled brat!

Later in the story her friends Gale and Peeta, two boys that vie for her affections, are themselves thrown into confusion as Peeta is somehow captured and brainwashed by the Capitol to kill her! Her only recourse is Gale. A man who has his own agenda to perform.

The third book (praised by Twilight author Stephanie Meyer, OMG) is rushed, especially towards the last third of the book. Without giving much away, Katniss is really quite a hypocrite. She plans on stealing a device and doing her own thing, for example, as she wants to assassinate Snow (the president of the Capitol and Panem) but the person with whom she would steal has himself given her every courtesy and protection. Then she's conflicted. "I know I should be grateful but...." Most of her dialogue is like this.

Another annoying aspect of her dialogue is jumping to conclusions. "He's acting that way because ___________ therefore _________ so I must act thus!" And of course the character is not even close to being or acting that way.

The last chapters too don't develop her mother nor her sister all that much either. There is much tragedy with Katniss and she does not hold up well at all. Her screaming and thrashing, the constant nightmares, it gets to be a bit much.

The ending is not totally satisfying but is a surprise and the surprise was such that made the ending not predictable which I'm thankful.

There is a film for the first book coming out soon. I'm looking forward to it since the first book is really the best. The whole "rebel alliance" stuff has been done to death however and made slogging through the third book a rough go. She's a pawn in a rough game. At the end, she's still a pawn, just surviving, not contributing. Is that all?

Bottom Line: Katniss is not the strong female character she started out as in the first book but she is clearly no Bella from Twilight. There are other strong female characters in the book however that may make the book a worthy addition to any female teenager or young adult library.

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
It was okay. Nothing spectacular. But out of all of the books, Mockingjay confused me at some parts.

When I read Hunger Games, I was able to read it through and not really miss anything. It was straightforward. I also felt that Catching Fire was similar in that sense. Mockingjay...there was parts that confused me and I had to reread in order to understand what was going on.

The biggest confusion came when Prim died. I don't know how I didn't get it at first, but I did.

Another thing that I didn't like was the resolution to the love triangle. Technically there was, but let me explain what I mean. I hate love triangles. Everything about it annoys me, especially the Team Boy 1 Team Boy 2 cheer teams. Annoying. But I never really felt like the romance was developed enough to pick a side.

In Hunger Games and Catching Fire, Gale doesn't really have a personality and since Peeta is shown the most, you already know that he loves Katniss. It's one sided, because in Catching Fire Katniss pretty much chooses Gale. It's just that she wants Peeta to be there for her, which is kind of selfish and a tease but oh well. In the end, she chooses Gale.

Then she forgets about that in Mockingjay and the author changes Gale from having no personality, or having a revenge personality and Katniss isn't liking that. I almost feel bad for Gale, because he never really had a chance with her. Gale was made out to be a horrible jerk, but I never really understood why. Katniss didn't see what happened in District 12, he did and so he wants revenge. Plus, she mentions that he was always like this.

I hate love triangles, but at least give both guys a chance. In the end, she does go with one of them but that's due to outside forces and him being there while the other isn't. She doesn't choose a guy. She just lets things happen and stays with the one who is there. Sad thing is she doesn't even seem happy with Peeta in the end. She's depressed and hollow, even with her kids in the picture. I also thought her being angry at Gale was stupid.

I also didn't understand how Finnick, who seemed perfectly fine at the end of Catching Fire, is a huge mess in Mockingjay. What happened to him?

I did like Peeta's hijacking. I didn't like Katniss' reaction to the hijacking though.

I did like that Katniss mirrored her mother. She originally thought so badly of her for checking out, but Katniss ends up doing the same thing for much longer. I thought it was interesting to see.

All in all, I felt like this was a bit rushed and not as exciting as the first two books in the series. ( )
1 vote pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible