Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins, Elizabeth B Parisi (Designer)

22,026123659 (3.98)1 / 728
Member:hobreads
Title:Mockingjay
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Other authors:Elizabeth B Parisi (Designer)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 390 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:dystopian, contest, future, survival

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,202)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,243)
In spite of the somewhat disappointing ending (not because it was particularly bad, but because I thought it could have been less contradictory), I have no regrets of giving 5 stars for this book, because it has been a long time since I felt like actually discussing a book with my friends. Most of Young Adult books I've been reading have pretty plain stories that don't leave much margin for further discussion. But not this one. This book is one of the good stuff. The one that makes you and your friends argue for hours. OK, maybe not that much, but the fact that it doesn't exactly end in "and they lived happily ever after" for me is a positive aspect.

Like Catching Fire, there is non-stop action in the book and a lot of familiar faces. Too much going on. And it's not exactly easy to just put the book down since every chapter seems to end in a dramatic way. On the bright side, like the previous books, it is easy to read and very quick-paced. On the other hand, it's that kind of series that will leave a void in your life after you're done with the series. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
"well, that was depressing" was my initial thought upon finishing.

I gave each book three stars but as a whole, I'd give it four. I may go back and add a star to each.

Here's my impression of Collins during her writing experience..

tappytappy
time to make the audience sad!
tappy tap tap
hee heee, time to make the audience crrrryyy
tappy
tap tap tap
tappytappy
sad time again! ; D!
tappy tap
OOH!! more cryiing! heeee!

My earlier concerns about the cliche love triangle were let go, I like how it was handled over all. I find Collins' writing style to be very comfortable. ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
3.5 Stars.

As much as I enjoyed the other books and the beginning of Mockingjay, I found the end to be rather disappointing. After reading a mixed bag of reviews, I knew someone died but it was sort of wanting to know how it happened and what was the aftermath. It was...disappointing.

It all ended too neatly and conveniently for my tastes in spite of how dark the rest of the book seemed. Granted, it was never going to be a happy ending, but it was still a let down. The bulk of the book was dark, intense and gripping.

I started this book in November shortly after I finished Catching Fire, though it wasn't until I saw the Catching Fire movie that I picked up Mockingjay and made a decent dent in it. Already having Kindle book versions, I bought the new shiny cover UK editions hoping maybe a paperback would make me pick the book up and finish it.

(I had been putting off finishing it for ages sort of because once I knew I finished Mockingjay it would all be over.)

Even though I wasn't overwhelmed by the ending, I'm still glad I read the books. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
What an amazing way to end the series. Even though I'm a Gale fan (or was, until this book) I'm happy with Katniss ending up with Peeta. Still very sad about Prim. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Edited review: As I've been going about my day replaying this last book in my head I am growing less and less impressed with it. I have changed ratings on books before and I think, given some time, this rating and review will probably change again.

I feel let down.

This book was surprising in many ways. And frightfully predictable in others. The series itself is a wonderful idea. The characters have amazing depth and strength. I particularly liked the secondary characters; Prim, Haymitch and Finnick. I was lost in the story, felt the emotions of the characters loud and true. It was great. That being said...

If approached with this in a workshop scenario I would tell the author two main things. Make time pass in a manner that is easier to follow. And stop using people passing out as a crutch. Ok, three things. Love triangles suck.

I feel like she keeps walking away quickly when the book almost gets to the things I want to see. A battle is brewing, I'm really caught up in it and BAM! Katniss is knocked out cold and waking up on an IV drip. Which brings me to the first thing I said when I was only two chapters into the first book. This should have been written in third person. A close third, perhaps, but third.

She should have slowed down. These characters are well-developed and the plot intriguing enough that if she had taken her time readers would have gladly spent their time with them. No one would have complained about the length if this last book had been longer as long as they got the story out of it. And they didn't. They got a half-developed cop-out ending that doesn't truly bring anything together.

Katniss changed the entire world, yet it doesn't get her anywhere. She isn't even given a chance to explain why she chooses the recipient of that last arrow, to defend herself in trial. She isn't the war hero she should have been, she is merely a pawn. She has always been a pawn. A static pretty faced pawn. Everything in her life was controlled by the capitol and it is still controlled. And she doesn't fight that? She doesn't stand up and say, "let me choose something here!"

I understand that Katniss has been through hell. She has had to live through things most people would have long ago crumbled under. But her strength is the reason she is the Mockingjay, yet her strength is shoved under a rug in this last book. Instead of growing more in control of her life in this new world she ends up with less control. What has any of this brought her? What good has it done? Does she not get to keep any of her convictions?!

And the love triangle thing. A message to all authors of science fiction/fantasy/dystopian YA novels. Just don't. We are over love triangles.

Believe it or not, though... I still would have to say I enjoyed this series. Even with this review... ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,362,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible