Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

27,397148136 (3.95)1 / 816
Member:br13naau
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,448)  German (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  All (1,492)
The last installment of The Hunger Games was a complete and utter let down. I knew it would be hard for this novel to live up to the previous two since the first couple of novels had an intriguing and fascinating concept at its center piece—the Hunger Games. That’s not to say that these were gimmick novels that only had that going for it, but without having the Hunger Games as part of this novel, it would be hard to succeed. However, if it was well written and well executed, it could still work. You only need to look at the final installment of the Harry Potter series where the main characters were not at Hogwarts to see a novel succeed that is a major departure in structure from the rest of the series. But alas, this novel did not even come close to succeeding.

This novel failed in many different areas. The first failing is what they did with Peeta’s character. It didn’t work for me. Another area of failing was that there were too many technological things that were going on here with no explanation whatsoever. I’m not expecting hard science from the Hunger Games but they had one after another high technology aspects that seemed utterly implausible with no explanation of how they could be possible, and it really stretched the boundaries of believability. The ending is a letdown and is anticlimactic. The direction the rebel president took is also not remotely believable. Why would rebels who have been oppressed by President Snow follow someone who is just as evil? In the end, I wished the author had taken a different direction with this novel since this didn’t work.

Carl Alves - author of Reconquest: Mother Earth ( )
  Carl_Alves | May 25, 2017 |
Uneven ending to an uneven conclusion of an imaginative trilogy. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Still well done, although this is my second favorite of the trilogy. The first is still the best, in my opinion. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
It is a characteristic, of the genre of young adult fantasy books, that the third book in the trilogy peters out. This book is no exception. Collins was great at writing about the hunger games and a world that would produce them. She is not so good at writing about war. The ending was disappointing because SPOILER ALERT: the idea that the idea that Katniss could assassinate in cold blood the president and successful leader of the revolution, Alma Coin, and escape execution or even life imprisonment on an insanity plea eschews credibility. There would be ways to fix the story and still get Collins result (i.e. any evidence that Coins crimes have come to light, perhaps?) But, no. Instead we have an awkward ending to an otherwise good series.

Otherwise, this book does pick up characters which the first books made you like. Resolves the love triangle with Katniss, Gale and Peeta and does depict some of war's horrors without delving into the grotesque. or real. Three stars on the strength of the first two books. Otherwise 2.5. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
one of the best books i've read! ( )
  Megan.Aubrey.Truslow | May 18, 2017 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 2009

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,420,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible