Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

22,647126955 (3.97)1 / 740
Member:gpangel
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,233)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,275)
Got a quarter of the way through and was tired of hearing this whining teenager. Maybe I'm not cut out for YA literature. ( )
  garyg336 | Dec 15, 2014 |
This book is almost as great as the first two, but my complaint is that it goes a little too slow for my liking. ( )
  stargazingx13 | Dec 11, 2014 |
A good ending to the Hunger Games Saga....not as groundbreaking or gripping as the first, but what book could be? I do think Collins has portrayed the cost of war to young adults in a clever way with this series, showing how characters that the readers get attached to end up with their lives changed, or completely torn apart. I wonder if she intended this series as a lesson to ALL readers. I would recommend this series for anyone ages 12 to 112. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
RGG: First in a sci-fi trilogy with the main character a strong-minded teenage girl able to survive the ultimate survival game. Great read if very violent.
  rgruberexcel | Dec 4, 2014 |
The last book of the trilogy finds Katniss fighting to keep her family together and alive while dealing with her new found responsibility as Mockingjay, the leader of the district revolution.
  EmKel753 | Dec 2, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible