Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

24,256135445 (3.96)1 / 766
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,322)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,364)
I think I enjoyed this book a little more than the first two. It certainly had faster pacing, and a little more emotional involvement. Still, I felt distanced from a lot of it. A lot of characters died, but still didn't have much impact. The only time I got teared up was when Buttercup came back at the end. I liked the ending, but it felt like a letdown. ( )
  MrsAlwyn | Nov 29, 2015 |
Fantastic ( )
  Steve.Davies | Nov 27, 2015 |

Oh my gosh, I was expecting so much more from this book. The atmosphere is completely different, all the characters seem to turn into shadows of themselves and the most prevailing emotion I felt after reading this book was depressed.

I wanted an ending that made you feel good, perhaps gave you hope for humanity but all I got was a short sharp shock of a depressing dystopian reality. This is why I generally dislike Dystopia novels.

Katniss is as confused and as clueless as ever during the first half of the book, this annoyed me.
The deaths of Finnick and Prim saddened me beyond belief and the fact that Peeta, the most heartwarming, altruistic character in the whole series was changed into a character so unrecognizable and damaged really annoyed me. What this book needed was some character to briefly uplift the whole tone of the book. The fact that Haymitch was tee-total in district 13 and then goes back to drink again as soon as the capitol is overthrown also annoyed me. Can't anyone keep their shit together!

Looking at the ending of the book, I was surprisingly heartwarmed by Katniss and Peeta finally ending up together and having children but I was really confused about Gale. He could not have cared about Katniss as much as Collins portrayed if he just foooked off and never saw Katniss after the Capitol is overthrown - because of that the ending seemed abit sloppy and rushed.

All in all I am slightly satisfied by the end of the series even if it didn't end how I would have liked. Hopefully the movie is better.

4everfanatical | Nov 26, 2015 |
The final book in the trilogy opens with Katniss visiting the ashes of District 12. Her defiance of the Capitol and the Hunger Games has made her a rebel outcast and the retribution against her home is immediate and overwhelming. The beginning of the book takes us through Katniss realization of her power as a political symbol and her decision whether or not to take an active role as a leader of the rebellion. From that flows the overarching quest of the third book, her drive avenge all the death and destruction visited on her country, village, friends and family by the Capitol and most particular by President Snow.

I confess to being bored by the arcade-game battles and skirmishes and her mission into the city. It's not the book, it's the subject matter. I find battle narratives tedious whether they're fiction or nonfiction and so much of Book Three is one battle after another that I occasionally nodded off. Nothing puts me to sleep faster than exploding boobytraps, landmines and firefights.

I also think Katniss was less an actor and more a pawn in most of this book. She redeemed herself in the end, but for someone so strong, she had very little agency.

But surrounding all the boring battles, this final book takes a much more serious look at violence, war and vengeance. Katniss is not a messenger of peace, hope and understanding - but she, more than most, knows the cost of war. Just as many real life warriors offer tremendous wisdom about the folly of war and advocate for peace precisely because they know the terrible price of war and the damage violence does to everyone, Katniss knows that the citizens of The Capitol were pleased to host the Hunger Games year after year after year precisely because they were not the ones dying. Like so many of today's hawks who blithely advocate adding a war in Iran to the other wars they have cheerleaded, the people of The Capitol are happy to support war and the Hunger Games, mainly because they don't fight them.

You can't help but see the parallels to current events - and the sort of glib support our troops blithe disregard for the cost of war today because it's so bloodless on our tv screens and the cost is usually paid by other people's children. However, the book is never preachy about that and trusts that you are smart enough to see the theme without sitting you down for a lecture.

Tonstant.Weader | Nov 22, 2015 |
In this book Katniss has struck a deal with District 13 to become the Mockingjay, the symbol for the rebels. Most of her job consists of doing propos, advertisements for the rebels to play on television throughout Panem. Katniss is reunited with Prim, her mother and Gale but many from her district are dead. Peeta is stuck in the capital and being held by President Snow in an attempt to break Katniss.

This is a very exciting book. I understand why other people like it, but truthfully it just wasn't for me. The last quarter of the book just felt like horrible violent death after horrible violent death. One of the death's particularly bothered me because it almost made me feel like the whole series was for nothing. Katniss had one goal from the very beginning and it felt like too much that she shouldn't achieve it.

I think part of my problem with this book is that it scares me. It reminds me that there are people out there that value life so little that this kind of violence is not impossible.

I did like the ending though because Katniss returns to being the person she always was. She doesn't go on to rule Panem or do anything else crazy. She settles back into obscurity and it's implied that she leads a good life. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.
“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”
The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.
All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.
The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,954,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible