Die Tribute von Panem 3. Flammender Zorn by…

Die Tribute von Panem 3. Flammender Zorn (edition 2011)

by Suzanne Collins

Info:
Collections:EBook
Rating:*****

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Recently added byprivate library, NateHaas, OncomingStorm, Emma_Manolis, Bb5, kdm14
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,456)  German (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  All (1,500)
To be honest I feel kind of let down. I had hoped for things to end on a more happy note, but to be honest I found it to be very depressing. It's not that all books have to have a wonderful happy ending, I just feel like this was quite the let down. As a reader, I am not satisfied.
I'm also extremely disappointed in the characterization of Katniss. She always seems to fall short and really truly is a weak female character. I should have just read the first book and stopped. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
The tragic conclusion to a tragic tale.

The war is in full swing, people are dying left right and centre. The most important person to Katniss just blows up! Ouch.

Peeta loses his mind, Gale is sad and depressed and Katniss is just running around like a chicken with her head cut off. She has a hard time following rules and she rushes into things without thinking. Buy hey, she saves the day in the end, so is it really that bad?

The last page of the novel is heartbreaking. I cried. You will cry. It definitely pulled at the heartstrings. Poor Peeta.

Real. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
I actually finished the Hunger Games trilogy in one shot over the course of five days last week.

Loved the first book, the second one a little less and third one (I have to be honest here) I only stuck to because I wanted to see who Katniss ended up with. HAHAHA.

I am #TeamPeeta all the way, #shameless.

Disclaimer: everything after this line veers off on a merry little tangent of random meanderings...

-----------------------------------------------

I have to comment on the most interesting thing I found in this 3rd volume though (despite practically having to drag my eyes over the page throughout the book): that the name Panem was derived from the latin phrase "panem et circenses" - the concept that the entirety of human advancement has been to provide entertainment for the masses - which is really interesting - because honestly the masses attached to their mobile phones sort of encapsulates this. "He who controls the crowd..."

It suddenly brought to mind Maximus Decidius Meridius shouting in the middle of the arena - "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?". It seems to be the cycle of most civilizations - or more famously the Roman empire - it's citizens glut on spoils and riches - where the generations born into luxury tend to care about nothing but their leisure time. Because -insert Fight Club quote- "We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives."

And what is entertainment but an opiate against that Great Depression? And capitalism? Exploiting that opiate liek whoa. Which makes President Snow and Coin something of conglomerate heads sitting at the top of their respective piles with fingers steepled and crafty merciless machinations running through their thoughts. And the masses they coordinate consisting of two types: Those that are not fooled and those that pretend they are.

Time to reverse that dopamine programming. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
One word: Devastating.

It ended how it had to but like some of the best stories it left me feeling sad. The war is over, but Katniss won't ever really be free from the damage that's been done to her. And that's life, isn't it? Some wounds can't heal.

N.R.Tupper | Jun 10, 2017 |
Una delle migliori serie di fantascienza che io abbia mai letto. Super consigliato ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 2015

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible