Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

23,589132047 (3.96)1 / 758
Member:CaitlynS
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,285)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,326)
Wow! Now let's see the trilogy on the big screen!!! But do it justice!!! ( )
  jenngv | Jun 25, 2015 |
I can't believe how fast I read this book. I really enjoyed The Hunger Games and Catching Fire and although I liked this book I wouldn't say I loved it. The rest of my review will contain spoilers!

By the end of Catching Fire Katniss has survived being in the arena twice, and has found out that for the past year she and Peeta have been pawns for the rebel cause. Going into Mockingjay I was expecting closure. I will admit that the books starts off at a very slow pace-- in comparison with the other two, but I feel that as per Katniss' character, and for the audience, the tour of District Twelve was much needed. I almost feel that Collins wanted to make Katniss out to be a strong rebel leader, because there are a few short moments where Katniss shines, such as when she films the first propo--in District Eight, and becomes so charged and ready to tackle the Capital. But then she has Katniss get injured, sent to the hospital and drugged. She looses a lot of time feeling sorry for herself and all that she either directly or indirectly killed. It is completely reasonable that a drugged, slightly out of it person, who is confined to a small space is going to think about how they got there, and in Katniss' case she inadvertently started a war-- who can blame her for feeling like crap. We, the readers know that she was just a pawn, but she hasn't figured it out yet. Overall the first part of the book is uneventful-- until the last page, but much needed insight in to how Katniss is feeling.

Parts two and three are where I get a little annoyed with Collins. I really wish that Katniss was more involved with Peeta' recovery. There is the brief explanation that Delly has known Peeta the longest and wouldn't have been in any of the altered memories, but I still think that the Katniss from The Hunger Games would have fought to help, especially after finding out about Gale's cruel plans. Even thought we had no idea that one of his traps would kill Prim, the capturing and killing of the victims just makes me dislike Gale.

The deaths of the others, especially Finnicks breaks my heart. Not that I would want him killed off if I were able to change the plot, but if he had to be killed off why not at least make it noble, and spend more than one line on his death. He was a great character, one I actually liked more than Gale, and he didn't deserve the ending he got.

Speaking of endings, I'm not a fan of how there is no real details about Gale, Katniss' mother, or Heymitch get to where they are. Haymitch has the most detail and all we get is he went back to being a drunk, but now he also has geese. Peeta and Katniss getting together in the end is what I wanted when I started reading the books, but I dislike the fact that it kind of just jumps there. We don't even get to see the beginning of rebuilding their relationship, beyond the Primrose bushes.

I guess in the end, it was a trilogy about a dystopia future, and the war that overtook it. Katniss was just the eyes we got to see it from. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
would give it 6 stars if i could. just mind numbingly good. ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |
“Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out for his love to flee.
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run so we’d both be free.
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me.
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.”

“I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking.”

(de Mockingjay's Fire)

RESEÑA ORIGINAL: MAYO 2012
Hace unos días me metí, en uno de esos foros de fanáticos en los que se discuten libros. En este caso , obviamente , trataba sobre esta trilogía en cuestión . La conversación giraba en torno al final de SINSAJO y todas las chicas estaban furiosas con la elección de Katniss . A nadie le importaba la conclusión emocionante de la revolución , las pérdidas en la guerra , las metáforas sobre el poder ni el triste estado mental al final del libro tanto de Katniss como de Peeta. Todos estaban que trinaban de la bronca por el desenlace romántico del flojo triángulo amoroso entre PEETA-KATNISS-GALE. eN AQUELLO estaba el enfoque.

Y acá va mi enfoque...

Este último libro es muchísimo más que un simple romance. Es una historia sobre gente dominada sublevándose contra el poder; contra los medios mentirosos e imperantes; es sobre reforzar la idea de que no siempre hay que confiar en todo lo que te muestra una pantalla, que existe un trasfondo en todo lo que te muestra la televisión; hay una INTENCIÓN en cómo , cuando y porqué se dice lo que se dice.

El "CAPITOLIO" es el "BIG BROTHER", el poder absoluto, la oligarquía, la plata, el morbo. El Capitolio son los romanos en sus épocas sanguinarias; son la IGLESIA en la INQUISICIÓN; son todas las dictaduras en una sostenidas por la enorme ayuda de los medios de comunicación. Es la historia que escriben los que ganas y, como tal, es claro que esto significa que hay otra historia, la verdadera historia...

Y para vencer al poder , los rebeldes van a tener que usar las mismas armas del enemigo : la televisión .

Así que por eso la decepción al ver que todo estaba reducido a la bronca infantil porque Katniss se había quedado con Peeta y no con Gale . A ver , no voy a decir que no me interesó esa parte también . Lo que digo es que se me hizo algo menor entre todo lo que se desata en SINSAJO y que semejante revolución sea disminuida porque la muchachita eligió al panadero en vez de al cazador .... bue , me parece triste .

Entonces me metí a opinar. PARA QUE! Ni bien escribí que me parecía más importante el otro tema y que no veía mal que la chica fuera la fuerte y eligiera al "LOSER" patético (como le decían las pibas a Peeta) se me tiraron encima y me empezaron a putear tanto que me fui con la cola entre las patas... para que meterse en la boca de lobo, no? Que cada cual opine lo que se le canta. Prefiero salir con vida.

Teniendo un gran personaje femenino como Katniss que lucha con mente y cuerpo , lo único que interesa es que sa case de una vez y deje de ser una frígida (si , esas cualidades les dan a las mujeres iNDendientes esta clase de pibas) .

EN FIN ....

A Katniss le termina pasando lo que una vez dijo George Orwell : "No se establece una dictadura para salvaguardar una revolución; se hace la revolución para establecer una dictadura" . En el momento final , derrotado el Capitolio , SINSAJO debe tomar una decisión casi impulsiva para dar el golpe final y así probablemente terminar con la tortura e injusticia de décadas y décadas sufrida en la miseria; después de tanta lucha, mutar de vencidos a vencedores .

¿Hay un final feliz? No exactamente. Como todas las vidas que siguen después de la guerra , no hay felicidad completa.

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Katniss Everdeine was in district 13. Katniss went back to 12 to get som things, and Katniss saw that 12 was completly demolished! When Katniss went back to the victors houses Katniss got her dad's picture, her dad's jacket,Perm's cat(butterscotch), and oils. A little later Katniss saw Effie.When Katniss, Effie and plutark had a dissussion Katniss decided to be a Mocking Jay, and Cinna(who is dead) had a book of sketches and made Effie promise not to show it to Katniss until she decides to become the mocking Jay herself. On a TV in the cafetria Katniss saw Peeta, and Katniss knew that something was wrong because Peeta was saying things that Peeta wouldn't nornally say. Kantinss went to eight. Saw hospitle that had pople who were diying and asked Katniss if she was going to help and and she said yes so they help up the "good luck sign." then, the captial blew up that hospital and Katniss made a video.
Katniss saw Hamage, Katniss got a bow and special arrows, and Katniss got to test them out. Peeta warned 13 that the capital was coming. So, 13 was going into lock down and got into a bunker. 13 was bombed above ground. 13 planned to go get thecaptive people.The capital people were rescued. Then, Annie and Finik got married. Peeta choked Katniss and another time that Peeta saw Katniss he reminded her of the bread memory, and other thigs. Peeta finally knew what Katniss was like and Katniss hated Peeta fo that. Katiss got shot, and then wnated to fight so Katniss and Johanna went to trainning but were very weak. Finik dies. Prem is killed by a bomb that Gale accidently sets off and doesn'y know what Prem was near it.Peeta and Katniss hav a baby.
  Emmac.B1 | Jun 4, 2015 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,979,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible