Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

22,290125456 (3.98)1 / 729
Member:JLF85
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,216)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,257)
The last in a series of three novels centered around young Katniss Everdeen, Mockingjay is also the one I liked least. I cannot really put my finger on why exactly that is, but I guess this novel is just more of the same when compared to the preceding novels in the trilogy. Nevertheless, Mockingjay in itself is not a bad novel.

The novel is set after the beginning of the uprising in Panem and works its way through several issues. There is the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale on the one hand, and the end of the Capitol on the other hand. What is more, as with each successful revolution, the question arises what the new form of government should be and in how far it will be different this time. While this is always a good question to ponder, I think it is explored in a very stereotypical way in Mockingjay. When the Capitol is finally defeated, the new President wants to have one 'last' Hunger Games as a punishment for all those Hunger Games the Capitol made the rest of Panem live through. This, however, is prevented by Katniss, who simply puts an end to the new President's life.

While one can argue that providing nothing new is the greatest flaw of this novel, I quite liked the way it does not desperately try to tie up loose strands. Yes, the Gale-Peeta-Katniss situation is resolved in the end. But there is always the feeling that all this is not over yet, that Panem will see another overthrow of its government, that Katniss is still torn and conflicted.

On the whole, I have to say that I enjoyed reading Mockingjay. However, the book was neither 'on fire', nor was it really catching. An average three-star read. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Sep 28, 2014 |
Even though I liked the first two-thirds of this book a lot, I was very disappointed with the last third, and the ending especially. I'd recommend the other fantasy series by the same author ([b:Gregor the Overlander|262430|Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)|Suzanne Collins|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173234171s/262430.jpg|524491]), which is a lot more fun and enjoyable. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
EXCELLENT! Suzanne outdid herself on this. I won't give a full review because I don't want to "spoil" it for others who haven't gotten their copy yet (seeing as how it was only released yesterday). ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I'm only a few chapters into the book but so far I love it. The setting and premise are different from the first 2 books but I don't think this will be a problem because Collins really knows how to tell a good story. Katniss was rescued from the Quarter Quall and she is now part of the rebellion to overthrow the capital. Even though she hates the capital she isn’t sure the rebellion is any better. Katniss faces her greatest challenge yet in this epic conclusion to the Hunger Games trilogy. ( )
  ColinSlon | Sep 25, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH/DUTCH

Spoilers!!!! Beware!!!!

I pre-ordered Mockingjay a long time before it was actually released, and a friend of mine, who also wanted to read it straight after it hit the shelves, was disappointed as all copies in our city has been reserved and new books took weeks to arrive.

I think this shows just how much we all were looking forward to the release of Mockingjay. I struggled a bit with the same things as with Catching Fire, how is Suzanne Collins going to keep things interesting. But I was far too curious to let that stop me from buying this book.

For me, this book felt completely different from the first two novels. I think that the arenas were good structures that these books needed. Without it felt somewhat weird. Where the terror from the capital is first mainly invisible (at least for the people of the capital), it ends with destroying the capital itself.

All my favourite character's don't make it to the end of this book. I hate it when everybody lives, because then I don't feel like there is any suspense left (if you already know no one will die), but it seemed almost targeted to kill just the people I liked best.

I know that a lot of people had a problem with Prim dying, and of course I wasn't happy for her dead, but from the story-viewpoint it made sense to me. It was as if - no matter who would win in the end - everything Katniss did was in vain, because she only ever entered the Hunger Games to save her little sister.

I have a problem with the execution-scene though. Katniss decides to shoot the president of district 13 and leader of the rebellion after a nice little chat with President Snow (who is such a loveable chap, I would definitely trust him?! :S ). And then, President Snow laughs himself to death?! O, Come on! ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible