Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

22,517126556 (3.97)1 / 737
Member:JLF85
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read in 2013, Your library
Rating:***1/2

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    The Dead Republic: A Novel by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Vol II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,229)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,270)
In this third and final book in the Hunger Games trilogy, we finally see what I was expecting from the very first book – a real effort to overthrow the capitol. I thought this book had a lot more depth to it than the previous two. It was pretty grim, though.

The rebellion was portrayed realistically. There were a lot of atrocities committed on both sides, there were doubts as to whether the would-be new leader was any better than the leader they were trying to depose, there were psychologically traumatized people who didn’t just inexplicably get better after a little while, and there were a lot of deaths. Several of those deaths were characters I cared about. There was one character death in particular that completely caught me off guard, and it seemed to make so little sense at the time that I thought it wasn’t real, that somebody’s eyes had played tricks on them. How it happened made sense later after more explanation was provided although I think it was intentionally still left a little ambiguous whereas I would have liked a more concrete explanation.

Not surprisingly, the ending was pretty depressing. There were some glimmers of hope at the very end for some of the characters, and there was also a brief epilogue set a few years later that had a more positive feel to it. But this positive turn didn’t start until nearly the very end of the book so it was too late to lift the general feeling of grimness and despair that had been going on for the majority of the book. But I was satisfied with the ending. I typically prefer happier endings, but too much had happened to turn this trilogy into a happy ending without it feeling fluffy and fake and incongruous with the rest of the story. ( )
  YouKneeK | Nov 26, 2014 |
In this, the final installment of the Hunger Games trilogy, everything is revealed. Everyone has changed, and again no one can be trusted. Katniss has accepted and stepped into the role of the Mockingjay, the symbol for the rebellion. But, she finds that she is yet again a pawn in someone else’s games. Honestly, I can’t say what it was that I was expecting. Finishing the very last sentence only moments before I started writing my review, I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. I guess a part of me was hoping for that elusive happily ever after. I wanted all of the deaths to be meaningful, for the good guy to triumph. I wanted it all to be more than . . . I wanted. . . I wanted so much that I just didn’t get. That’s not saying that Collins did a horrible job. A part of me feels that she may have rushed through this one a bit. But is that the truth or is it something that I’m saying to make myself feel better? The writing was once again engaging, excellent and velvety smooth. I just don’t think that the ending that I wanted was possible in a world such as Panem. It wasn’t possible after all of the deaths, hurt and actions that people had taken. I wanted Katniss to be with the one she truly loved, for Peeta to be happy, for Gale and the rest to find peace. But in the end, they only survive. I guess that has to be enough for now and later after the rebuilding happiness will come. Mockingjay was beautiful and hopeful, inspiring and action packed, heartbreaking, sad and broken. ( )
  StarrK | Nov 26, 2014 |
I, like three-quarters of the reviews on here, am speechless about this book. I LOVE that Ms. Collins didn't hold back on this one. War is a dark dark place and soldier don't come out of it shiny and clean. I'm so glad Ms. Collins delved into the darker side, even if it meant some gritty themes and such as I read.

I enjoyed this book, read it straight through in one shot, and I am happy I finally read the final two book in this series...it only took me awhile. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
This is the third in the Hunger Games trilogy. I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first two. It feels very different, with the Katniss-inspired rebellion against the Capitol and President Snow gathering pace and coming to its rather strange and unsatisfactory (to me) conclusion. The characters of Katniss and even more Peeta were much more morally ambiguous than in the earlier novels; it wasn't clear for much of the book on which side Peeta was, and Katniss's actions towards the end made me feel considerable antipathy towards her. A disappointing conclusion to this trilogy. I wonder what they will make of the two films into which this only slightly longer third part has been divided. ( )
  john257hopper | Nov 18, 2014 |
This book takes place in the secret military bunker called Discrit 13. Katniss has been choosen as the symbol of the revolution. However the Capitol has been winning the war so far.
So Katniss volunteers as a soldier and goes deep into enemy lines.
She and her squad are successfull in capturing many discrits. But Presidenet Snow has taken her love intrest, Peeta hostage and is torturing her. Eventually they get Peeta back, however, he has been turned against her by the capitol by reprograming him with untrue memories. Soon after her squad gets separated from the others, leading to the deaths of many important characters, including her sister Prim. Eventually, though, she loses it it falls into a state of depression, leaving to a very anticlimatic epilouge. ( )
  johnn.b4 | Nov 17, 2014 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

“Mockingjay” is not as impeccably plotted as “The Hunger Games,” but none­theless retains its fierce, chilly fascination. At its best the trilogy channels the political passion of “1984,” the memorable violence of “A Clockwork Orange,” the imaginative ambience of “The Chronicles of Narnia” and the detailed inventiveness of “Harry Potter.”

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
Dívám se na svoje boty. Do prasklinek odřené kůže si sedá vrstva jemného popela. Tady stála postel, ve které jsem spávala se svou sestrou Prim. Tamhle byl kuchyňský stůl. Hromada cihel z komína, který se při požáru zhroutil, mi poskytuje bod, podle něhož se orientuji ve zbytku domu. Čeho jiného bych se měla chytit v tomhle šedém moři?
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
Of the Quarter Quell, all have
To fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,049,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible