Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

31,422157546 (3.94)1 / 826
Member:Foxsly
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,544)  German (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (5)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,589)
I thought this was an excellent ending to a very good series. There are a few surprises here, especially when it comes to who dies. Some were expected, some very sad, and others completely out of the blue. My only problem with it is the ending itself. It seemed to end rather abruptly. I feel like it could have used about 60-80 more pages to flesh things out more.

Despite that, I'm very glad that I was talked into reading this series. I would highly recommend it to anyone. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Final Chapter in the Hunger Games, I did not want to put it down. Katniss gets hurt over and over, both physically and emotionally. As I was reading I often wonder how she was going to survive and go on and yet she always digs deep and fights her way through.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I just loved this book. I picked it up this afternoon, and by this evening I was done. I just did not want to stop reading, and it has been a long time since a book made me feel this way. I thought the story would make me feel too sad, but maybe I have been hardened by the horrors of Panem, because I didn't cry like I thought I would. The ending was satisfying and a good resolution to the series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Solid four stars and my favorite of the series. I think that I get more attached to the characters as time goes on, and as long as the author doesn't drop the ball, I always like the later ones better. In the beginning there is so much time spent setting the stage as it were, you don't have the time to get as emotionally involved.

The ending was perfect. Not so easy and quickly sorted out as to be lame, but it was..fitting. By the time he planted the flowers outside her house I was bawling.

Over all, I give the series a 4 out of 5. I really enjoyed it. I lost a fair amount of sleep over a couple of days staying up way too late to finish one or the other of them, that's always a good sign. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Relectura 27/08/2015
  dieciseislunas | Jun 2, 2019 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.
MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and it is up to Katniss to accept responsibility for countless lives and to change the course of the future of Panem.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible