Healing Hearts: A Memoir of a Female Heart…

Healing Hearts: A Memoir of a Female Heart Surgeon

by Kathy Magliato M.D.

It wasn't until I finished this book and was discussing it with my wife that I realized that the author never discussed times when she failed. There were plenty of surgical mishaps in the book, but they always seemed to happen to other doctors. Her patients, if they died, died from things like pulmonary embolisms that wouldn't have been found in heart surgery. Still, it was an interesting read about the challenges of balancing family with a career as demanding of your time as heart transplant surgeon. I found the discussions of the surgeries much more interesting than her fighting against the established male hierarchy in heart surgery. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this memoir. She comes across as a superwoman but she writes in a very readable manner -- only a little "too much" about how hard her work and life is, even though she absolutely loves it and wouldn't have it any other way. And the idea of saving everyone? I found some of the descriptions of what some of the people went through in order to "live"---maybe too much terrible effort? ( )
  nyiper | Oct 29, 2010 |
This is a very interesting memoir of a woman in the highly competitive, prohibitively male-dominated field of cardiac surgery. The author conveys her love for cardiac surgery, as well as her struggle to retain a traditional family life as a wife and mother. She places special emphasis on women's heart health. Enlightening and encouraging, this memoir is particularly recommended for female professionals juggling a career and a family. ( )
  sherrie87 | Feb 26, 2010 |

An inspiring, surprising, sometimes shocking, and ultimately deeply informative memoir of the high-stakes, high-pressured life of a female heart surgeon

Dr. Kathy Magliato is one of the few female heart surgeons practicing in the world today. She is also a member of an even more exclusive group—those surgeons specially trained to perform heart transplants. Healing Hearts is the story of the making of a surgeon who is also a wife and mother. Dr. Magliato takes us into her highly demanding, physically intense, male-dominated world and shows us how she masterfully works to save patients’ lives every day.
In her memoir, we come to know many of those patients whose lives Dr. Magliato has touched: a baby born with a hole in her heart, a ninety-four-year-old woman with a lethal tear in her aorta, and a thirty-five-year-old movie producer who saves her own life by recognizing the symptoms of a heart attack. Along the way, Dr. Magliato sheds light on the too often unrecognized symptoms of a heart attack and cardiovascular disease—the number one killer of women in America—and the specific measures that can be taken to prevent it.
As we begin to see what it takes for Dr. Magliato to heal hearts day after day, we come to understand a more human side of the medical profession. Dr. Magliato celebrates with her patients when they overcome their disease and personally mourns when they die as a result of it. She understands deeply the pain and suffering that heart disease can wreak on patients as well as on their families. Healing Hearts is not only her story, it is also the story of everyone affected by heart disease—roughly one in three Americans.
Dr. Magliato acquaints us with the day-to-day realities of her life and work. We see her skillfully juggle a full and happy family life as the wife of a liver transplant surgeon (they have bedside tables cluttered with pagers and cell phones that ring throughout the night) and the mother of two young boys. We also see the toll that being a female pioneer can take, as well as the rewards of such demanding work. She, like many working women, is striving to have it all.
Dr. Magliato’s powerful and moving memoir demonstrates her passion and commitment to her family, her patients, and her profession and reveals that, at the end of a long day, it’s our hearts that matter most.

Kathy E. Magliato,  MD, is currently the director of women’s cardiac services at Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California, and an attending cardiothoracic surgeon at Torrance Memorial Medical Center in Torrance, California, where she is developing a women’s heart center to address the cardiac needs of female patients. She lives in Pacific Palisades with her husband and their two children.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:09 -0400)

An inspiring, surprising, and deeply informative memoir of the high-stakes life of a female heart surgeon.

25 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible