Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever! by…

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever!

by Richard Scarry

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Tags: Picture Book, kids, words

Summary: A very colorful book that appeals to any child's liking. This book is such a great book to start your children out with when it comes to learning their ABC's and how to begin to sound words out. From start to finish, this book lacks nothing but the best in the creative department with the usage of characters to the vibrant colors.

Personal Reaction: This one of the first books I read to my son's LPS/Fort Sill CDC Pre-K class for his teacher Ms. Perry. I recently read this again for the full day pre-school class my daughter was in at GCDC (Ft. Sill, OK). My son's class more so understood and loved the book due to my way of explaining each word and sounded the letters out and then asking for them to sound it out with me or another sound the could make using that letter. My daughters class more so got a kick out of the faces and sounds I made.

Classroom Extensions: Best ways to extend this book out to your students or kids is to get them involved and at the beginning if each student knows their letter's, when it comes to that letter have them make a sound or noise that relates to the word shared. Getting kids involved in anyway weather it be by sounding words out by person, or giving them each a word to be responsible for when its their turn, or introducing colors and foods to the letters it all about participation and involvement. ( )
  armyflyingguy | Jul 9, 2014 |
I wanted to get an older copy of this book and found one in good shape from the UK, (never giving a single thought to the vocabulary differences between our great countries!) now I am enjoying nappies instead of diapers, lorries instead of trucks, dust bins instead of wastebaskets and biscuits instead of cookies. Richard Scarry's books have a remarkable way of communicating with children, with comfortable characters and gentle humor he makes day to day life interesting and fun. The Best Word Book Ever is a wonderful vocabulary builder, but more than that it expands minds and encourages conversation. ( )
  JoClare | Feb 26, 2014 |
This is the book that I credit mine and my sisters ability to read at the age of three.
  PamelaReads | Aug 5, 2011 |
This book is wonderful for children learning to read. Everything in the book is labeled. It shows all different aspects of daily life from getting ready for the day to getting ready for bed at night.
  skpuckett | Sep 15, 2009 |
This is the revised edition of the book. There are some notable differences between the two, some dubiously good (there are more females... but you can tell that because bows were stuck on their heads, so not exactly a gain for feminism) and some probably not (the vocabulary was watered down).

However, even with that in mind, this is an awesome book for the toddler and the early reader. There's labeled pictures of very close to everything under the sun, in categories, and there's extra text on each page asking questions or asking the child to identify subcategories (for example, on the page of small things the reader is asked which of those things are commonly put on a wall - a great way for mom to get some quiet time while kiddo pores over the book!) ( )
  conuly | Aug 24, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307155102, Library Binding)

Kenny and Kathy Bear and their Busytown friends introduce new and familiar names for objects grouped by subject, theme, and setting, in the city and on the farm, at the dentist and at the grocer's, in the kitchen and at the circus and all the places they frequent.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:17 -0400)

A pictorial vocabulary book with words grouped under common activities such as mealtime and basic concepts such as weather.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,389,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible