Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever (Golden…

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever (Golden Bestsellers Series) (edition 1980)

by Richard Scarry

A pictorial vocabulary book with words grouped under common activities such as mealtime and basic concepts such as weather.
Member:kicky
Title:Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever (Golden Bestsellers Series)
Authors:Richard Scarry
Info:Goldencraft (1980), Hardcover

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever! by Richard Scarry

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
great pictures with humor throughout, 1 Jan. 2011

Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Best Word Book Ever (Giant Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
Had this as a pre schooler in 1960s and loved the pictures- ideal to look and discuss with your child even before he can read, little humourous touches everywhere. Bought copy recently for friend's child, and wanted to keep it! The rabbit in a chef's hat holding a frying pan on fire, labelled 'good cook'. The picture of the classroom where the text runs 'you can learn many things in school. Little Bear is learning how to find a lost glove'. Wonderful!!
Incidentally: be aware there are 2 editions to this book. I recently bought a copy for my granddaughter and was careful to get the older one (the cover shows mother in the kitchen on her own, rather than the politically correct couple sharing the chores.) Worth paying a bit more as it contains a number of sections that were cut from later version (flower garden etc). ( )
  starbox | Sep 23, 2015 |
Word and Letter Recognition. Pictures help in figuring out the words. ( )
  kkaspy | Jul 29, 2015 |
My favorite book from childhood, I can remember being in kindergarten and first grade and spending hours with this book. Dreaming of being a teacher, I utilized it with my dolls as I taught them. I also purchased the book for my own children. Many wonderful memories. ( )
  Moakey | Apr 10, 2015 |
Visit various scenes in Richard Scarry's world, begin to recognize letters and words and let your imagination run wild. A picture book without a storyline. A favorite of mine as a child.
  lolhscybrarian | Nov 30, 2014 |
Tags: Picture Book, kids, words

Summary: A very colorful book that appeals to any child's liking. This book is such a great book to start your children out with when it comes to learning their ABC's and how to begin to sound words out. From start to finish, this book lacks nothing but the best in the creative department with the usage of characters to the vibrant colors.

Personal Reaction: This one of the first books I read to my son's LPS/Fort Sill CDC Pre-K class for his teacher Ms. Perry. I recently read this again for the full day pre-school class my daughter was in at GCDC (Ft. Sill, OK). My son's class more so understood and loved the book due to my way of explaining each word and sounded the letters out and then asking for them to sound it out with me or another sound the could make using that letter. My daughters class more so got a kick out of the faces and sounds I made.

Classroom Extensions: Best ways to extend this book out to your students or kids is to get them involved and at the beginning if each student knows their letter's, when it comes to that letter have them make a sound or noise that relates to the word shared. Getting kids involved in anyway weather it be by sounding words out by person, or giving them each a word to be responsible for when its their turn, or introducing colors and foods to the letters it all about participation and involvement. ( )
1 vote armyflyingguy | Jul 9, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,038,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible