The Darkest Passion by Gena Showalter

Fantastic and my very new favorite of the series. I absolutely loved Olivia and all her strength of will yo get what she wanted and what she had to get through to get it. Aeron was amazing too, with having all this double edged swords pointing at him and always trying to make a terrible situation better. The secondary stories have me all excited to read the next installments and find out more about these awesome people. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
The Darkest Passion
3 Stars

Synopsis
Olivia is a warrior angel charged with assassinating Aeron, the keeper of Wrath, but refuses to carry out her mission and is exiled from Heaven. Fascinated by the fallen angel who claims to have forfeited immortality to experience life and love with him, Aeron finds himself torn between fulfilling his desire for Olivia and appeasing his faithful demon companion, Legion, who will do anything to dispose of the angel...

Note: This series MUST be read in order otherwise it is virtually impossible to follow the storyline and references to secondary characters.

Review
While I am thoroughly enjoying this series, The Darkest Passion does not live up to expectations. The first 1/4 of the book is slow and disjointed. Nevertheless, the pace eventually picks up and the last 1/4 is exciting. I also dislike the introduction of Christian lore into a series that has previously focused on elements from Greek myth. Each mythology is compelling in its own right but they do not mesh well.

After reading The Darkest Kiss and The Darkest Pleasure, Aeron's book was at the top of my list but, unfortunately, his romance with Olivia falls flat on its face. They have absolutely no chemistry and their relationship feels forced.

Olivia is the worst type of heroine - passive, needy and insipid. Her status as a fallen angel is the most interesting thing about her but this fails to reach its potential either in her thoughts or actions as demonstrated by her constant need to remind both Aeron and the reader that she is actually fallen. She is constantly throwing herself at Aeron and fawning over him even when he rejects her - "confident and aggressive" NOT!

Aeron lacks emotional depth and goes from hunky alpha to wimpy omega. Despite the build up of his demon in previous installments, it is completely under-utilized here and all we get from him is the repeated "mine, mine, mine".

Legion is obnoxious and manipulative. I have no idea what Aeron sees in her and I just want her to die already. The twists involving her character her pact with Lucifer, the possibility that Aeron will have sex with her and her encounter with Galen are seriously creepy.

That said, the book is worth reading for the secondary cast and the progression of their individual stories - Gideon and Scarlet's past history, William and Gilly's budding relationship (hope she is the one to finally put him in his place) and the hints at Paris and Sienna's reunion are all very appealing as are the cameo appearances by Pandora and Baden (wonder what's going on there).

The twists and turns in the series story arc are also a highlight - the hunters are getting stronger and more devious, the Unspoken Ones have put a wrench in the works and some strange alliances are emerging.

Looks like there are interesting developments to come and hopefully Gideon and Scarlet's romance will be an improvement. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I didn't like this one nearly as much as the others but still loving the series. Aeron just could have been so much more interesting, and Olivia was a bit dull. I loved reading about Scarlett and Gideon though can't wait for his book. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Yet another homerun in this series. I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I'm enjoying them. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Back and forth I went on this book so many times. Olivia was hard to tolerate. Her character seemed very juvenile and inconsistent. Aeron seemed very emo and indecisive. I just didn't like these two together at all. They seemed shoehorned. Maybe I expected a lot more tension between the coupling of an angel and a demon.

The only thing that kept me reading is Strider and Gideon. They are the reason for the three star rating. I've loved Gideon since day one and the set up with him and Scarlet looks like a real rollercoaster. Strider's sneaking up on me just like Sabin did and I think whoever becomes his leading lady will have her hands full. William, as always, is fun to see but the seeds being sown between him and Gilly make me cringe.

In a PNR, I rarely ask for less romance but in the case of Aeron/Olivia I think less would've been more. There's so many other exciting plot twists happening to the other characters that I found myself wanting to read about them rather than the main couple.

Oh and please tell me someone gave Gideon some of that Water of Life so his hands can regenerate already? Hasn't he suffered enough? ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |

Gena Showalterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Showalter, Genasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
They don't seem to care that they're dying."
Aeron, an immortal warrior possessed by the demon of Wrath, was perched atop the roof of the Bubajos Apartments in central Budapest, peering down at the humans so blithely going about their evening.

For weeks, the immortal warrior Aeron has sensed an invisible female presence. An angel—demon-assassin—has been sent to kill him. Or has she? Olivia claims she fell from the heavens, giving up immortality because she couldn't bear to harm him. But trusting—and falling for—Olivia will endanger them all. So how has this "mortal" with the huge blue eyes already unleashed Aeron's darkest passion?
Now, with an enemy hot on his trail and his faithful demon companion determined to remove Olivia from his life, Aeron is trapped between duty and consuming desire. Worse still, a new executioner has been sent to do the job Olivia wouldn't….

For weeks, the immortal warrior Aeron has sensed an invisible female presence. An angel--demon-assassin--has been sent to kill him. Or has she? Olivia claims she fell from the heavens, giving up immortality because she couldn't bear to harm him. But trusting--and falling for--Olivia will endanger them all. So how has this mortal with the huge blue eyes already unleashed Aeron's darkest passion?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible