The Darkest Lie by Gena Showalter

5 awesome stars to Gideon and Scarlet! My very favorite Lords of the Underworld now. Explosive chemistry, some very deep character development and plot twist after plot twist to make this one a hard book to forget. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
The Darkest Lie
4 Stars

Synopsis
Gideon, the Keeper of Lies, has met his match in Scarlet, the Keeper of Nightmares, for he cannot tell if her tales of their marriage are true or false. While they try to work through their questions, Scarlet and Gideon are confronted with threats from the past that may destroy the future they seek together.

Review
Surprisingly refreshing and engaging.

The "Gideon Speak" takes some getting used to but it becomes easier as the book progresses. In fact, it is the repetitious and unnecessary translation and explanation of his true meaning that almost ruins the story.

Gideon and Scarlet are a cute couple and their romance is rather sweet and poignant. Despite his language difficulties, Gideon is a wonderful hero - sweet, open and, yes, honest. Scarlet is a strong and powerful heroine, and the descriptions of her traumatic life in Tartarus are heart-wrenching. She is, in many ways, the most dangerous and fearsome of all the Lords, and she is far more likeable than Olivia.

The plot, based on the theme of truth and lies, can be difficult to follow but the compelling twists and turns are exciting. As soon as you think you have a handle on what's going on, everything is turned on its head.

The developments in William, Sienna, Strider and Amun's stories are also intriguing and provide a necessary respite from the confusion of Gideon's speech. Moreover, the insights into Cronus and Rhea's characters and their motivation - the petty conflicts and jealousies - are true to the conventions of Greek mythology and add another interesting dimension.

Given the nature of Gideon's demon and the themes in the book, the writing is simply excellent and Showalter does an admirable job of merging everything together into a cohesive whole that mostly flows smoothly.

All in all, a good addition to the series and the next installment should be interesting to say the least.
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Finally Gideon's story! I'd been waiting to read about him for ages. I loved the idea that he was married to Scarlet but didn't remember. There was a lot to love about this book. Gideon-speak became second nature after a few chapters and I found myself twisting everyone's words which made for some interesting reading. ;)

While Team Gidlet rocked, I felt their story was full of too much angst and godly manipulations. Honestly, my eyes glazed over whenever Cronos appeared. I wanted more of the badass couple wrecking havoc on Hunters. Scarlet was very frustrating. Her fear of commitment to Gideon continued throughout the entire book. Even after he'd declared his love she still found more reasons not to be with him. After a while I wanted to smack her. You don't want Gideon? That's ok. I'll take him!

Even though I found Gideon and Scarlet's story lacking, Strider and Amun kept me hooked on the Lords. Poor Amun! I'm really scared for him. Also, I can't wait for Strider's snarky ass to get blinded by love. That should prove to be a fun read. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
This is book 6 in the series and picks up right where the Darkest Passion leaves off. Scarlett is locked in the dungeon and Gideon not sure why he is compelled to stay down there watching her. Since Gideon is the keeper of the demon Lies, and can only speak in lies this could have been a hard book to read. But I found it easy to follow with no confusion. I enjoy spending time with these Lords of the Underworld.

Forced to his knees in agony whenever he speaks the truth, Gideon can recognize any lie—until he captures Scarlet, a demon-possessed immortal who claims to be his long-lost wife. He doesn’t remember the beautiful female, much less wedding — or bedding — her. But he wants to . . . almost as much as he wants her.

But Scarlet is keeper of Nightmares, too dangerous to roam free, and a future with her could mean ultimate ruin. Especially as Gideon’s enemies draw closer . . . and the truth threatens to destroy all he’s come to love . . ( )
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |
I appreciate the author's clever use of opposites because the character only spoke in lies. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Prologue
Gideon stared down at the woman sleeping atop the bed of cloud-soft cerulean cotton.

In this riveting new installment of "The Lords of the Underworld Series", Gideon, keeper of the Demon of Lies, fights to uncover the truth. Forced to his knees in agony whenever he speaks the truth, Gideon can recognize any lie - until he captures Scarlet, a demon-possessed immortal who claims to be his long-lost wife. He doesn't remember the beautiful female, much less wedding - or bedding - her. But he wants to...almost as much as he wants her. But Scarlet is keeper of Nightmares, too dangerous to roam free. A future with her might mean ultimate ruin. Especially as Gideon's enemies draw closer - and the truth threatens to destroy all he's come to love.

Gideon, the keeper of the demon of lies, knows instantly whenever anyone speaks false and suffers whenever he speaks the truth. Yet when he captures Scarlet, a demon-possessed immortal who claims to be his wife, Gideon knows she tells the truth yet can't remember wedding--or bedding--her.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible