Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette…

Shades of Milk and Honey

by Mary Robinette Kowal

Recently added bykeachachu, althaeria, rena75, private library, N.F, fairy.bookmother

English (114)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (115)
This book was so much fun. True, the climax was confusingly written and completely out of character for a Jane Austen-esque novel. But it was still a lovely and enjoyable read. The magic system is extremely clever.

But I want to slap Melody so hard. What a brat. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Kowal is no Jane Austin, but this charming little story is exactly what it sets out to be - Austin aesthetic with a touch of fantasy. Sisters with a foolish mother vie for suitors, the elder of which has a talent for the art of creating magical illusions. There is some occasional awkwardness in usage of alternate spellings of words that were intended to reflect the time period, but didn't quite work. All in all, it was a tasty little treat. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
A delightful surprise: this is the best way I can find to describe this book. I heard about M.R. Kowal through John Scalzi's blog, and the description of her books intrigued me enough to try the first one, and to finish it in record time.

It has the same flavor of the works of Jane Austen, or Georgette Heyer's, with the added intriguing detail of magic, or rather glamour, a way to influence one's surroundings through the manipulation of perceived reality.

Something tells me that this world might quickly become an addiction, and a welcome one... ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
A pleasant enough romp, with some clever bits. I hope the author follows through on her implied promise to write more.
  ranaverde | Dec 24, 2018 |
Basically, I agree with the_antichris's review. Three stars seems low, because it was a fun read -- but it simply wasn't gripping. A Regency novel with an interesting magic system. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
A quick, light read, with characters that the reader will feel right at home with.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Rebecca Gerber (Aug 1, 2010)

Readers will be disappointed only when they finish this enchanting story, which is suffused with genteel charm.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Stacey Hayman (Jun 15, 2010)

Kowal's unique take on an overly familiar plot does hold some potential, but the magic, like her sensible protagonist, comes across as a bit too tame.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 15, 2010)

The story plods at a wooden pace until the climax, which achieves a sprightly comedy-of-errors froth.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 14, 2010)

To my grandmothers, Mary Elois Jackson and Robinette Harrison who taught me the importance of family and storytelling.
The Ellsworths of Long Parkmead had the regard of their neighbours in every respect.

The fantasy novel you’ve always wished Jane Austen had written

Shades of Milk and Honey is exactly what we could expect from Jane Austen if she had been a fantasy writer: Pride and Prejudice meets Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It is an intimate portrait of a woman, Jane, and her quest for love in a world where the manipulation of glamour is considered an essential skill for a lady of quality.

Jane and her sister Melody vie for the attentions of eligible men, and while Jane’s skill with glamour is remarkable, it is her sister who is fair of face. When Jane realizes that one of Melody’s suitors is set on taking advantage of her sister for the sake of her dowry, she pushes her skills to the limit of what her body can withstand in order to set things right—and, in the process, accidentally wanders into a love story of her own. [Amazon product description 8/9/2010]

In a Jane Austen-inspired alternate universe, two sisters, one beautiful and the other skilled in the glamour arts, test the limits of their gifts on an unscrupulous suitor.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mary Robinette Kowal's book Shades of Milk and Honey was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Mary Robinette Kowal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Mary Robinette Kowal chatted with LibraryThing members from Sep 13, 2010 to Sep 26, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,373,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible