Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette…

Shades of Milk and Honey (edition 2010)

by Mary Robinette Kowal

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Shades of Milk and Honey
Authors:Mary Robinette Kowal
Info:Tor Books (2010), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned, Wishlist, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, library, ILL, DLR, borrowbooks, fantasy, regency, illusion, glamour, romance, 2013, january

Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal

English (87)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (88)
Fans of Jane Austen, and fans of magic and romance are the perfect audience for this comedy of manners. Jane Ellsworth is the older of two sisters and feels herself quite overshadowed by the beauty and charm of her younger sister Melody. However, while Jane is plain of face, she is the more skilled glamourist of the two.

Jane's ability to weave magic into art and home decor have drawn the attentions of two men. Mr. Dunkirk is a near neighbor who is hosting his younger sister Beth. Mr. Vincent is a glamourist who has been hired by their neighbor the Viscountess FitzCameron to create a glamural in her dining room. Jane is fascinated by the art the artist is creating but less fascinated by the man himself. He is abrupt, rude, and almost mute in her presence.

The excitement in the neighborhood has to do with the recent arrival of Lady FitzCameron's nephew Captain Henry Livingston who, while engaged to Lady FitzCameron's daughter, begins to secretly court both Mr. Dunkirk's sister Beth and Jane's sister Melody. Vast amounts of drama ensue as Jane tries to sort out her sister's love life and almost accidentally discovers her own true love.

I loved the setting, world building and characters in this story and was wonderfully pleased to discover that there are four more books in this series. I can't wait to find out what is next for Jane and her love. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 13, 2015 |
Very Jane Austen, but wirh a convincing layer of magic thrown in. Ended up being quite fun. Strong characterisations, despicable villains and an inspiring heroine. ( )
  Matt_B | Apr 16, 2015 |

A fantasy take on the worlds of Jane Austen and the Brontes, which I have to admit has faded in my memory since I read it several weeks back. I remember finding the period language a bit off-key in places. It's a better idea than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, anyway. ( )
1 vote nwhyte | Apr 11, 2015 |
I am, I freely admit, a fan of Heyer’s novels, and while I wouldn’t call myself an Austen fan, I’ve certainly read her books. So when I first saw Kowal’s Regency fantasy, I knew that sooner or later I’d be picking up a copy. In fact, I received this book as a Christmas present. And read it during the journey back to the UK. It’s pretty much as you’d expect – old-maid-ish daughter of comfortably well-off provincial family gets all excited when eligible men turn up at the local nob’s house. The difference here is that people can practice a sort of light-based magic, “glamour”, which allows them to create illusions – and this has become a new… well, not art-form, but certainly a form of “accomplishment”. Jane is the plain older sister of beautiful Melody, whose charms are sure to land her a good match, except Jane is gifted at glamour – so cue a pair of “interesting” gentlemen who are drawn to Jane, Melody’s bitterness because she’s smart enough to realise a pretty face is not enough, the return of a childhood friend who proves to be a bounder, a young girl who Jane takes under her wing… It’s a polished piece, perhaps a little too polished – there was something that didn’t quite ring true about it all, not that it prevented me from enjoying it. Kowal handles the relationships well, and the glamour is nicely done – but the story seemed wrapped up almost as an afterthought with a throwaway happy-ever-after ending. At the moment, I’m not sure if I’ll be bothering with the rest of the series. ( )
  iansales | Feb 22, 2015 |
This was very fun!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
A quick, light read, with characters that the reader will feel right at home with.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Rebecca Gerber (Aug 1, 2010)

Readers will be disappointed only when they finish this enchanting story, which is suffused with genteel charm.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Stacey Hayman (Jun 15, 2010)

Kowal's unique take on an overly familiar plot does hold some potential, but the magic, like her sensible protagonist, comes across as a bit too tame.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 15, 2010)

The story plods at a wooden pace until the climax, which achieves a sprightly comedy-of-errors froth.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 14, 2010)

To my grandmothers, Mary Elois Jackson and Robinette Harrison who taught me the importance of family and storytelling.
The Ellsworths of Long Parkmead had the regard of their neighbours in every respect.

Shades of Milk and Honey is exactly what we could expect from Jane Austen if she had been a fantasy writer: Pride and Prejudice meets Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It is an intimate portrait of a woman, Jane, and her quest for love in a world where the manipulation of glamour is considered an essential skill for a lady of quality.

Jane and her sister Melody vie for the attentions of eligible men, and while Jane’s skill with glamour is remarkable, it is her sister who is fair of face. When Jane realizes that one of Melody’s suitors is set on taking advantage of her sister for the sake of her dowry, she pushes her skills to the limit of what her body can withstand in order to set things right—and, in the process, accidentally wanders into a love story of her own. [Amazon product description 8/9/2010]

In a Jane Austen-inspired alternate universe, two sisters, one beautiful and the other skilled in the glamour arts, test the limits of their gifts on an unscrupulous suitor.

Mary Robinette Kowal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Mary Robinette Kowal chatted with LibraryThing members from Sep 13, 2010 to Sep 26, 2010. Read the chat.

221 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible