Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most…

Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill

by Matthieu Ricard

English (12)  French (1)  All languages (13)
I was turned on to this book by the writer's talk about happiness on TED.com. The book itself is fantastic in its simplicity and accessibility. I got out of it what Binyamin Cohen got out of his "Jesus Year" - an exploration in tangent of another religion to rediscover the nuances and enjoyments of one's own. The book reads like an expanded detailed version of Ethics of the Fathers and Proverbs. Bottom line? I'm definitely happier having read the book.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
Comforting, cajoling, humorous and inspiring. This is a great book to just pick up and read every once in a while. Gives you a bit to chew on and see in your life. ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |
Brilliant! Though he takes a Buddhist perspective on happiness and ethics, Ricard discusses them in relation to recent developments in psychology, sociology and neuroscience, and to the Western philosophical tradition of ethics -- Kant, Bentham and Rawls, for example. I found his arguments persuasive and insightful. One of the best and most far-reaching books on happiness that I've read. ( )
  mattparfitt | Dec 31, 2012 |
One of the top books I have listened to on happiness. He defines what happiness is from the Buddhist perspective while taking into account western thought. This definition includes what happiness is not. Many of his arguments are supported by everyday observations that you can relate to. He views happiness as a skill and includes actions one can try during and summarized at the end of the audio. This will be an audio I listen to again. ( )
  GShuk | Oct 2, 2011 |
To Jigme Khyentse Rinpoche

A molecular biologist turned Buddhist monk, described by scientists as "the happiest man alive," demonstrates how to develop the inner conditions for true happiness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

In this groundbreaking book, Matthieu Ricard makes a passionate case for happiness as a goal that deserves at least as much energy as any other in our lives. Wealth? Fitness? Career success? How can we possibly place these above true and lasting well-being? Drawing from works of fiction and poetry, Western philosophy, Buddhist beliefs, scientific research, and personal experience, Ricard weaves an inspirational and forward-looking account of how we can begin to rethink our realities in a fast-moving modern world. With its revelatory lessons and exercises, Happiness is an eloquent and stimulating guide to a happier life. Book jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,858,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible