The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz

The Night Fairy

by Laura Amy Schlitz

Recently added byRefPenny, private library, HunterMiddle, Merryann, Leslie_L.J., mayalanda, janillabean

This children's novella tells the story of a night fairy who loses her wings shortly after her birth and is forced to navigate the perils of the garden she lives in ranging from bats to squirrels to spiders without the benefit of flight or even much of her magical powers. It is nicely written and illustrated, a more "realistic" and coming of age version of the typical fairy tale than a fantasy/fable version. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Wonderful children's book! Would be a good read aloud book. ( )
  angieshere | Apr 25, 2014 |
A wonderful choice for readers seeking a fairy story. This is an unusual tale, in that readers learn about the fairy world from an outcast, Flory, who has lost her wings in a mishap that has left her alone and--she thinks--friendless. She learns to survive, to discover her own strengths, and even finds a friend or two along the way. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Well, halfway through I was worried that this would be a Cranky Fairy Learns to Appreciate Her Life story, but thankfully it turned into something a little bit different and more interesting! I still like Drowned Maiden's Hair better, but as a pure adventure story that just happens to star a fairy, this is pretty good. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
I completely love this story. What a great character. Within minutes of finishing this I had a copy ordered for myself and minutes later I decided I'm getting another for a Christmas gift. I think I want to write Ms. Schlitz a letter. I'd like to see this on the upcoming Newbery list.

Oh, and how can I almost forget, I loved the art. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |

Laura Amy Schlitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, AngelaIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Mary Lee,
sine qua non.
L.A.S.
Flory was a night fairy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763636746, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, February 2010: You don’t have to be a follower of those mysterious winged creatures to love this unique fairy tale from 2009 Newbery Medal-winner Laura Amy Schlitz. The book’s heroine, Flory is certainly not your garden variety fairy. After losing her wings in a run-in with a bat, she must learn to survive among the hungry daylight creatures of the Giantess’s garden.   Between pesky squirrels, cagey spiders, and stubborn hummingbirds, Flory's got her work cut out for herself. But, this fearless fairy quickly learns how skills like quick thinking, diplomacy, compassion, and acts of bravery can take her farther than her lost wings ever could. The Night Fairy makes an enchanting read-aloud story, as well as a gem to be treasured in the hands of readers of all ages. From its petite format and shimmering blue interior to Angela Barrett’s exquisite illustrations, every detail of this little volume is perfectly suited to its small, but mighty subject.  --Lauren Nemroff

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:52 -0400)

When Flory the night fairy's wings are accidentally broken and she cannot fly, she has to learn to do everything differently.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible