The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance by Sean…
206656,890 (3.43)2

Star Wars The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance is a good Old Republic novel over all. The story is a little slow getting started but once it does, look out! There is plenty of action like most Star Wars novels, but it's the suspense that keeps this story enticing. The plot centers around a mystery that turns out to be something new and unexpected that's a threat to the whole galaxy.That's where the Jedi come in. And the Sith. And lots of other characters all racing each other to determine the fate of the galaxy. Filled with action, intrigue, suspense, new locations, and of course great new characters, Fatal Alliance has all sorts of surprises that keep you turning the page. It's another wonderful addition to the Old Republic books. ( )
  Revan97 | Sep 9, 2014 |
Not bad. Better than the current Legacy series of novels. Starts kind of slow, and struggled to hold my interest for a bit - but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. It definitely gets better the deeper you get into the story.
  kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
This book takes place sometime after the uneasy truce between the Republic and the Empire. Both sides are looking for the advantage and they think that they have found it in the form of a ship that was found by a smuggler by the name of Jet Nebula. The ship self-destructs and the data core is being auctioned off by the Hutts. Both the Empire and the Republic send envoys to procure it. There is a lot of double crossing in this novel and there are many characters whose motivations aren't clear. The issue with this novel is that there is too much happening, and it is hard to care about any of the characters. It is never made clear who the protagonist is and by the time the novel ends, nothing has changed. Essentially this reads like a 400 page introduction, which I guess it is since it is a video game tie-in novel. Because of this I found the novel unfulfilling and flat. I expected more from the Star Wars Universe. ( )
  burningtodd | Jun 11, 2012 |
That this is the best of the three Old Republic tie-in novels doesn't say much. Here at least I liked the characters somewhat (and they had personalities) and I was a little invested in the mystery and plot that takes them to Hutta and beyond, but like most tie-in novels, it's clear that its real purpose was to highlight a new franchise. You could almost see the checklist in their heads. Imperial Agent? Check. Jedi Knight? Check. Trooper, smuggler, appearances by major NPCs, check, check, check.

I read it to get a better sense of the world, and I guess it worked for that. But books written to fulfill a list of criteria just-- aren't usually that interesting. It all falls flat. ( )
  Aerrin99 | Feb 13, 2012 |
Overall, the book was okay. I've read far better Star Wars books, but I've also read far worse. In fact, if I'd simply read this book, I probably wouldn't have been moved to write a review for it. I'd have just marked it three stars and moved on.

However, I "read" the audio version, which has two problems the print version wouldn't suffer from.

The first problem was one that was probably unavoidable, and certainly unintentional. To differentiate the various characters, the narrator employed different voices, which seems standard in audio books. Unfortunately, his choice for one voice reminded me strongly of Kif Kroker from Futurama every time I heard it. He wasn't, nor was he suppose to look like him, so the continuing mental image was jarring.

The second problem was avoidable, and responsible for the two-and-a-half star rating. They decided to use sound effects, I'm assuming to make it a more movie-like experience. Since this is my first SW audio book, I don't know if these are the norm, but they quickly went from "oh neat, sound effects" to seriously distracting in parts. At points they also seemed to not quite mesh with the description of certain scenes. Frankly, they would have done far better to leave them out. ( )
  Lostshadows | Feb 1, 2012 |

"Tassaa Bareesh, a matriarch in the Hutt crime cartel, is holding an auction that's drawing attention from across the galaxy. Representatives of both the Republic and the Sith Empire are present, along with a Jedi Padawan sent to investigate, a disenfranchised trooper drummed out of the Republic's elite Blackstar Squad, and a mysterious Mandalorian with a private agenda. But the Republic's envoy is not what he seems, the Empire's delegate is a ruthless Sith apprentice, the Jedi Padawan is determined to do the right thing and terrified that he can't, the trooper hopes to redeem her reputation, and the Mandalorian is somehow managing to keep one step ahead of everyone. None of these guests--invited or uninvited--have any intention of participating in the auction. Instead they plan to steal the prize, which is locked inside an impregnable vault: two burned chunks of an exploded star cruiser, one of which may hold the key to the wealth of an entire world. But the truth about the treasure is dangerous and deadly. And in the end, Sith and Jedi, Republic and Empire, must do something they've never done before, something that all the agents of good and evil could never make them do: join together to stop a powerful threat that could destroy the galaxy."--Dust cover flaps.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible