A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin

A Dance With Dragons (2011)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (5)

7,320267482 (4.04)2 / 355
Recently added byanitabowser, wademlee, btemkin451, VincentDarlage, emsoukup, ankney1, private library, Mark_Mounts
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (253)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (266)
A big improvement over A Feast for Crows. ( )
  bkoetter | Jan 26, 2015 |
This may be my least favorite of the five. I still highly enjoyed reading it, but it took me much longer to get through this one than it did the other four. One reason is that it is a little longer, but I also didn't want to get to the end as I know that I now have to wait forever for the next book to come out. The suspense is going to kill me.

Yet, I think another reason it took me so long to get through this one was the fact that the characters' stories were not as thrilling as the others. Much of the action is really drawn out and not much happens to a lot of the characters. At least Bran only has two chapters in the whole book, which is a relief as he doesn't do anything but sleep and go into animals' minds. After a while, that becomes eye-rollingly boring. (Look at that. I made a new phrase.) But even some of the most exciting characters, like Tyrion, don't have much going for them in this book. Most of the time, Tyrion is traveling via various methods which is boring to read after a while. Martin also leaves a lot of annoyingly open-ended questions by the end. There are a couple of characters, like Jamie, that probably should have had another chapter but didn't so we see him once, something happens in the end, and then there is nothing for the rest of the book. I seriously believe that the only reason this became a problem is because Martin now has way too many characters and is trying too hard to develop those who used to be minor characters or establishing new characters, which often forces him to spend less time on his original (and frankly, more important) characters.

I think Martin adds like four characters into the book which makes it hard to follow when we get to those chapters since for most of the chapter we are trying to figure out who the heck that person is anyway. I personally don't believe that any of the characters he has randomly added in the book need to be there. There is enough intrigue as it is without them. Their only purpose is to further complicate the already complicated plot. Also, by the middle of the book, at least two of the characters are completely worthless, and we honestly see no reason for them being there since their original missions have already failed (which one realizes and the other still doesn't).

In fact, nothing truly exciting happens until the end of the book, and it is the end that redeemed it in my eyes. Even though I'm angry with it...You'll know what I'm talking about when you read it... I think if it weren't for all the stuff that happens in the end, this book would have gotten an even lower score.

In the end, this was a rather disappointing place to have to wait for the new book. I'm still impatiently waiting for the next one, but I just wish we had been given something more exciting and a little less confusing. However, he does end the book with a classic George R.R. Martin twist, so at least there is that. A decent read overall but not the best. ( )
1 vote kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Look, I like epics. I am willing to delay gratification and let a story build for a good long time. I enjoy rich characters and accept that sometimes it takes a while to create that richness. I even like long series that can best be described as "sprawling." But a book that takes 950 pages to advance a plot 1 1/2 steps? A previously fascinating character who suddenly becomes nothing but quips and tics? So many points of view that by the time you return to one of them, you can no longer remember who it is of what they are doing?

Ridiculous. This book is ridiculous.

If you are far enough into the Song of Fire and Ice to be at book #5, nothing I say is going to stop you from reading this. But when you are mired down at page 800 and you realize that Martin is still introducing new characters and plot threads--characters and plot threads that you are doomed to forget because who can keep up with 500 of each--know that, really, I feel your pain.

I'm sorry he did this to us, too. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Holy...This one DRAAAGGEEDD. It's not just that it was longer, it was just far less interesting than many of the others. The only places it really got intriguing was at each character's final chapter.

Also, as much as I love Tyrion, he really overwhelmed this book. There were way too many Tyrion chapters for so little happening to him. It might as well have been called A Dance with Dwarves. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 13, 2015 |
I couldn't finish this book. I feel like none of the characters deserve the throne, and the chapters are unnecessarily descriptive.

Jaime and Tyrion are pretty awesome though.
  Czarmoriarty | Jan 12, 2015 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,146,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible