A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin

A Dance With Dragons (2011)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (5)

6,565249578 (4.04)2 / 327
2011 (57) 2012 (39) A Song of Ice and Fire (274) adventure (31) currently-reading (31) dragons (133) ebook (101) epic (70) epic fantasy (98) fantasy (1,212) fiction (485) Game of Thrones (34) George R. R. Martin (32) hardcover (40) high fantasy (36) Kindle (98) magic (28) medieval (39) novel (61) politics (31) read (69) read in 2011 (44) read in 2012 (28) science fiction (32) series (98) sff (44) signed (30) to-read (259) unread (27) war (56)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.

English (234)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (246)
I absolutely loved the first four books of this series -- devoured them, even. But I think the author made a critical mistake in splitting Book Four and Book Five into separate books. Book Four and Book Five take place during the same time period, but each book ONLY focuses on certain characters. Book Four handled the happenings of some characters, and then whack, they were cut off and Book Five rarely, if ever, mentioned them.

I am fortunate I picked up this series when all five books were already published, but those poor people who have had to wait five and six years between books! How confusing!

I just could NOT get into this book. My favorite character, Tyrion, was in this portion, but his sections stumbled. And I really, really don't like the entire Daenerys. I get why she's important, but her world is so far removed from Westeros, where everything else takes place, that I can't get the two to come together. I'd compare it to England and the Middle East, and even in real history, with England and the Crusades, it has to be written just so -- and that's missing here.

I'll absolutely read the rest of the series (whenever Martin decides to write them!) but this book disappointed me.

Lori Anderson

Blog
Shop
Facebook ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
Somehow A Dance With Dragons confirms the pattern: one book in the saga is good, the next one so-so, the next one good, and so on, with A Storm of Swords being particularly good, and A Feast for Crows particularly bad. As such, A Dance With Dragons is among the good ones. It was much, much more interesting than the previous one. The last three or four chapters were specially good, and left a lot of cliffhangers. The ending was certainly unexpected!

After the fiasco that was the book #4 though, it is hard to say if this one is good, or if it only *seems* good just because anything would be better than A Feast for Crows.

Anyway, in my opinion the books in A Song of Ice and Fire keep getting longer and longer for nothing... there are too many secondary characters/stories, too much detail for the sake of making the story longer, too many plots ending nowhere, too many cliffhangers unresolved, or wasted with a silly twist in the story.

I suppose that I'll finish reading the saga (once the next books get published, that is) no matter what. After all, I don't like the idea of having gone this far for nothing. Now I want the ending. Now I want to know what happens next. But I'm getting more and more worried, because I don't think it would be easy for Martin to draw this humongous story to a reasonable conclusion. I certainly hope he does, though. ( )
  chaghi | Jun 1, 2014 |
Much better than Feast of Crows. For me, this series has gotten a little overwhelming. Way too many characters and locations to follow. I find myself skimming the chapters that don't deal with the main storyline.

I will anxiously await the next episode, but am ready for all the dangling threads to sew together and become the conclusion of the story. ( )
  busyreadin | May 31, 2014 |
The critics say A Dance with Dragons is vastly more satisfying than its predecessor. I call bull****. Feast for Crows wasn't great, but this one is barely any better. I cannot imagine fans waiting the six years between books 4 and 5 only to be rewarded with this tiresome heap. Sure a few of the more interesting characters are featured, but their story lines are tedious compared with the earlier books. Preserving Crows and Dragons as a single book, which was the author's original intention, would have prevented so many problems. All the extraneous standing around and chattering, gone. While we're at it, let's get rid of all the unnecessary characters too. Gawd I hope Martin has a plan for these little side plots.

A Dance with Dragons does end on a relatively strong note—not great, but stronger than the 600+ pages preceding it—and that's saying a lot because I was ready to say goodbye to Westeros for good. Hopefully Martin has everyone carefully positioned to drive this story home in the final two books because I don't have the patience for any more meandering. Still, I fear that even with a superior series ending, A Song of Ice and Fire has already suffered irreparable damage. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | May 27, 2014 |
In previous books in this series, major characters died and there was no uncertainty about it. George R. R. Martin does away with that convention in "A Dance with Dragons". Maybe Jon Snow is dead? Maybe Daenerys is about to die? Probably Kevan Lannister is dead? I wanted to give this book 4 stars, because 95% of the book was fantastic, but it left too many unfinished threads to merit 4 stars. The book ends at the climax and it really needs a denouement. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,252,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible