dismiss

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin

A Dance With Dragons (2011)

by George R. R. Martin

Other authors: Virginia Norey (Heraldic Crests)

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (5)

12,316392330 (4.04)2 / 422
New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.
Recently added byprivate library, acrock31, CuriousKey, Ketrilla, Bran_the_Rebuilder, cbwkay, gdma, blackwaterlilies
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (374)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (389)
I can't believe I'm done... now the waiting begins! ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
At first I thought this book was going to be cliff-hanger after cliff-hanger, with no story progression. I was wrong. The story moves wonderfully and sets things up so well for the next book. I really enjoyed it from beginning to end. If you are a fan of the series this book will not disappoint. ( )
  maybe_a_wizard | May 22, 2020 |
Soooooooooooo much better than the last one OMG. I couldn't tell you if it's objectively a good book, but it held my attention pretty much the entire time, and a TON of stuff happened. Now I guess I have to wait years for the next one. Dammit. ( )
  lightkensei | May 17, 2020 |
Not sure how this guy keeps pulling off these massive plots full of intriguing characters. And dragons. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
The only thing that it seems happened in this book was people traveling, which annoyingly reminded me of the previous book in the series. The entire time, I waited for fun and exciting things to begin happening since I had already paid the price of reading book #4 (basically a filler book). Right? It was ironically the same feeling I had before. I pretty much hate this book. Only bad things happen to characters I like and several characters are left hanging dry as if I would commit to another sequel to read the answers. Uh, no. That's what this book was supposed to be. When I thought exciting things were just around the corner, the next page said "Epilogue" at the top. I was annoyed most of the book hoping for character stories to get fulfilled, and at the end it was more like anger as if my time had been betrayed. Sure, there is a setup for a sequel, but I already read through like 2,000 pages of what felt like PRETENSE! I'm done.

Silver lining: Books 1-3 are amazingly good. Just don't read 4 or 5 and save yourself some remorse. ( )
  014 | May 4, 2020 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norey, VirginiaHeraldic Crestssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Jeffery L.Endpaper and interior maps bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.

Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,744,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible