A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and…

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by George R.R. Martin

11,387377348 (4.04)2 / 418
Member:Foxsly
Title:A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 1040 pages

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin (2011)

Recently added byreading_wanderluster, JakeMo, BookHavenAZ, private library, Codonnelly, Magda596, DWTuatara, AsYouKnow_Bob, albzx6
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (363)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (377)
So after waiting 6 years for his book to be released, I wish I could say it's worth the wait, but unfortunately it's not even close. For being such a large book, not much actually happens here. Every character is pretty much in the exact same position they were in at the beginning until the last chapter of each POV, which means it drags on and on.

Another thing I have a problem with is how women are treated. Maybe I just don't remember it in the other books since it's been so long, but it seemed like here more than the rest of the series women are treated like whores and that's it. Plus, I swear every male character here talks about his junk in some fashion. It just felt too repetitive.

I'm hoping the problems Martin had getting this book out don't show up again for the next book. I want the series to get back on track to where it was before Feast. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Epic tale, the same time frame as the previous book but different groups of folks including Jon Snow and his sister, Mother of Dragons as well as many others. I'm ready for the conclusion of this story, it does go the way I want it to but I can't stop I need ot know how it ends.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
"A Dance with Dragons" is the fifth book of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series – known by television viewers as "The Game of Thrones". George Martin claimed in the epilogue of book 4 – "A Feast of Crows"- that all the primary characters would be back in A Dance with Dragons and he sure kept his promise… Daenerys, Tyrion, Stannis, Jon Snow, Theon, Cercei, Jaime, Arya and Bran Stark... they all still remain as principal characters and play a major role in the plot.

The best chapter of the book was Cercei’s ‘walk of shame’. Second to that was the Exhibition Tournament in which Daenerys outshines even the bravest competitors in the arena with her spontaneous courage and fearless loyalty. And Theon, poor Theon. Did he really deserve such a harsh punishment for his deceit and dreams of grandeur? George R. R. Martin shows no restraint having his villains commit heinous acts, or in dishing out punishment to those very same villains.

The fantasy element sometimes gets rather excessive. Dragons and sorcerers are one thing, but adding real Gods and creatures that can change skins and live forever is a little much for even the most die-hards of imagination. In some ways the series is starting to resemble Homer’s classic Greek epic "Iliad" and "Odyssey"... although Martin’s Gods are neither sitting in heavenly clouds bickering over what is happening on earth nor do they resemble the human species. It is continuously debatable which eternal being will hold the most power.

Who will win the Game of Thrones? That is the ultimate question. There are still several competitors – Daenerys with her Dragons and Aegon Targaryen, Jon Snow with his Wildlings, Bran and Arya with their strange super-natural powers. The Greyjoys with their Drowned God. Stannis with his Red Witch. The Others. Personally, I’m still hoping no matter who wins the Game of Thrones Tyrion finds happiness… and maybe will reunite with his one true love. After all, this is a fantasy story and anything can happen… right?

Perhaps George R. R. Martin has not even determined the real ending yet. The TV series is over and fans are not too happy with the way it concluded. I’ve heard so far 1.3 million fans have signed a petition to have the last season completely re-filmed. It’s hard to imagine how the TV Producers finished the series without the authors last 2 books which have not even been written yet. Perhaps the reading fans will have a more satisfactory conclusion.

""A Dance with Dragons is the best book of the series to date. I have now joined all the other fans patiently waiting for the grand finale of the last two books "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring". ( )
  LadyLo | Jun 5, 2019 |
I have to say, this was my least favorite book in the series so far (yes, I liked AFfC more than ADwD). A large chunk of this book is filler, proving that if "words are wind" (as we were told three million times in the book), GRRM is the biggest windbag of them all. He desperately needs an editor who will try to tame this unruly beast.

Tyrion's parts are incredibly slow and lagging, which sucked even more because I enjoy his character. Even Dany's story dragged a bit for me. The best chapters, in my mind, were Cersei's (that literal walk of shame was incredibly awkward in the television show, and it was pretty horrifying in the book as well) and Theon/Reek's.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series (if it is ever finished, which at this point, I have serious doubts), but I hope it is better than this offering was. ( )
  schatzi | Jun 2, 2019 |
The weakest book so far. More questions raised than answered. ( )
  darkness.visible | Mar 13, 2019 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norey, VirginiaHeraldic Crestssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Jeffery L.Endpaper and interior maps bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible