A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and…

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (original 2011; edition 2011)

by George R.R. Martin

Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: 1st, Kindle Edition, 1045 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Kindle
Rating:***
Tags:Roman, US

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin (2011)

Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (266)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (278)
My summary, in order to remember where the story was when the next book comes out. Too lazy to re-read something so painfully long. Private notes too short. Major spoilers ahead.

Bran, nothing, still with the tree. And we know nothing about the Others or what Sam is doing.
Stupid Dany still Queen of meeren,now in the dothraki sea going back.
Meeren in turmoil with freed dragons.
Connington and Aegon messing in Westeros. Charging towards Storm's end.
Varys killed Cersei's uncle and the old maester, they were righting Cersei's mess and he didn't like that.
Cersei to be tried, seems to have lost her pride. I don't believe that for one sec, she is surely acting. Let's see the disaster when she finds out the dead ones. Her champion seems to be The Montain Zombie that moves.
We don't know a thing about Rickon, he is in the bogs or something, Davos is going to search for him.
Theon is probably alive with Asha. I hope he survives, but since I pity him, he is surely going to die.
John dead,night's watch in turmoil 'cause stannis probably dead (maybe Ramsay was lying). Wonder what is the creepy red lady going to do, she deserves a slow death. Hope Ghost survives.
Arya, oh Arya, one of the best characters, I'm surprised you are not dead already. Still getting some weird-as-fuck training in the house of the god of many faces. I wonder if they are like the sorrowful brothers, training to kill. But since they don't take money...I don't think so. Where is Jaqen H'ghar? Could he be the Kindly man? don't think so either.
Jaime and Brienne gone after she said some stupid things; the Hound has Sansa? Right, since when? Little Finger has to die soon, but maybe he'll live some more and rape Sansa. Stupid trusting girl, after all that happened to her.
Loras should be some monster, but who knows.
The Wall will fall without John!!! what was that idiot thinking? after doing so much for his vows he threw them away because of some bastard's provocation!!!?
Tyrion and the idiotic bear knight are with sells-swords outside meereen. Since war is comming, by order of Barristan, maybe one of them will die. But I think Tyrion has to see dragons first...so maybe he'll live to see his sister's demise?
The saintly sand snake coming to council, she is arriving to the mess...we'll see.

aka_no_joou | May 19, 2015 |
Am I the only one who thinks books 1 through 3 are way better than the last two? This book was like 50 hours long and I was interested in maybe five hours of it. I'm frustrated because it's so much work to get through but I really want to know what happens and how it ends. I just need a long break before delving into the next one. I'm starting to feel like it's a massive homework assignment though. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 27, 2015 |
Very interesting. Tyrion is a great character and is really put through the wringer (in common with all the characters), You never know what's going to happen next (except that people will die!). Well worth the long read. ( )
  jerhogan | Apr 26, 2015 |
This was the most frustrating book of the series. The series started out strong with "A Game of Thrones" and is strong up until book four and now book five. This book is supposed to be taking place at the same time as book four. It is long. And I found my mind wandering as I read it. There were several parts and characters that I don't care about anymore. I ended up only caring about Arya's story. The rest I trudged through and was tempted of just skipping. I loved Tyrion but that love is starting to fade. Daenerys let me down for the entire book, but she starts to be who she should have been the whole time at the end. The ending is what I expected to see at the beginning of the book. This book made me quite angry because just as the book starts to get interesting, it ends. ( )
  SpencerwithanR | Apr 24, 2015 |
George R. R. Martin never disappoints! It is a mystery to me how he is able to come up with such complicated storylines and how clear is his vision of the universe he has created down to the smallest, seemingly unimportand details! As always, I enjoyed the most the points of view of Jon, Arya and Tyrion - they were my favorites from the beginning. Jon plays a very important role as a Lord Commander of the Wall and reading his POV I am always amazed how he tries to build a whole new world from ground up. Arya is desperate to find a place where she would belong, since her home and family are gone, and it is exciting to see where life takes her and sacrifices she has to make to find what she is looking for. Tyrion is always a smartass full of sarcastic and ironic commentary and a way out of every situation! I cannot wait to see where the story takes all of them in the next book! ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,172,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible