Danza de dragones (Vintage Espanol) (Spanish…

Danza de dragones (Vintage Espanol) (Spanish Edition) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by George R.R. Martin

7,490275461 (4.04)2 / 364
Member:joaba
Title:Danza de dragones (Vintage Espanol) (Spanish Edition)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Vintage (2012), Edition: Tra, Paperback, 1000 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin (2011)

Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (263)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (275)
This was the most frustrating book of the series. The series started out strong with "A Game of Thrones" and is strong up until book four and now book five. This book is supposed to be taking place at the same time as book four. It is long. And I found my mind wandering as I read it. There were several parts and characters that I don't care about anymore. I ended up only caring about Arya's story. The rest I trudged through and was tempted of just skipping. I loved Tyrion but that love is starting to fade. Daenerys let me down for the entire book, but she starts to be who she should have been the whole time at the end. The ending is what I expected to see at the beginning of the book. This book made me quite angry because just as the book starts to get interesting, it ends. ( )
  SpencerwithanR | Apr 24, 2015 |
George R. R. Martin never disappoints! It is a mystery to me how he is able to come up with such complicated storylines and how clear is his vision of the universe he has created down to the smallest, seemingly unimportand details! As always, I enjoyed the most the points of view of Jon, Arya and Tyrion - they were my favorites from the beginning. Jon plays a very important role as a Lord Commander of the Wall and reading his POV I am always amazed how he tries to build a whole new world from ground up. Arya is desperate to find a place where she would belong, since her home and family are gone, and it is exciting to see where life takes her and sacrifices she has to make to find what she is looking for. Tyrion is always a smartass full of sarcastic and ironic commentary and a way out of every situation! I cannot wait to see where the story takes all of them in the next book! ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
What more is there to be said once you get to the fifth book of a series that is supposed to be seven books long? If there is some seismic change in the approach (and there isn't – that's a good thing), then the only alternatives are that the series continues the same, grows even stronger, or begins to slack off.

Unfortunately, the last of these choices seems to be what is happening. That isn't to say that the book is bad. It has all of the things you would expect from this series – intrigue, dragons, good being treated badly, bad being treated badly, both being treated as well as you would hope or hope not to happen, and some shocking twists/deaths/etc. (I'll just say that, about the time I was thinking some people were safe, they were not.)

But Martin is beginning to fall too in love with the details. And while his writing lends itself well to catching up on each character – that is, being able to catch the reader up on where the character was and will now move forward from – it is all becoming a bit tedious.

And, to be honest, I am really learning to care less and less about the composition of their meals.

It reminds me of Stephen King as he reached the end of the Dark Tower series. That is, where's a good, honest, brave editor when you need one. Ultimately, so much detail that I'm not sure we needed four and five to be so long. Cut some of the detail, make it one book, and you lose none of the verisimilitude.

However, it is all there and, while it may be more work, that doesn't make this a bad book. The story continues and the reader's investment in the characters continues to pay.

And it does little to dissuade me from wanting the next book in the series.

And I do, so, want to know what happens next. ( )
  figre | Apr 11, 2015 |
A Dance with Dragons is the fifth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, and you really need to start with the first book, Game of Thrones, and read them all in order. Trust me, you’ll be completely lost otherwise. If you’ve been through the first few books, you should know by now that this series is R rated and full of trigger warnings.

A Dance with Dragons fills in what the characters missing from A Feast for Crows were up to and continues to overall story a little past that. But while events may have advanced a tad, it feels like they’ve hardly moved at all from previous books. Ultimately, it felt like it was just leading up to the next book, and there wasn’t even really a climax to the book – there were a bunch of cliffhangers instead.

A Dance with Dragons is so packed with characters that some’s story lines are barely or not at all furthered. Why do we even need all these POV characters? Many of them could easily have been cut either shorter or left out entirely. Tyrion’s sections where full of him traveling from one place to another. While some useful information was learned here, his travelings could easily have been shortened. There was also, as usual, filler regarding the history of the world and the houses, much of which was not at all necessary.

Despite all that, I continue to care enough about the series. If there’s one thing he’s good at, it’s pacing. A Dance with Dragons was gripping enough that I read this 1,000+ page monster of a book in one weekend.

I’m still not convinced that this series will maintain the quality of the previous books, but I think it’s still worth reading on to find out.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Apr 6, 2015 |
So I'm at last caught up with the published works of A Song of Ice and Fire. Unbelievably, five tomes into the series Martin is still introducing new major characters and plots. So it drags it times and can be hard to keep up. But largely this is still a compelling story and it is good to catch up on the stories of characters like Daenerys, Jon, Tyrion, Theon, and Arya. And there's a really cool part with a dragon. Now I join the rest of the world in waiting for the next novel. My theory is that Martin has actually written material for several new books and is constantly rearranging chapters, unable to cut anything, and introducing entirely new families and storylines. ( )
  Othemts | Apr 1, 2015 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,723,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible