A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and…

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by George R.R. Martin

6,598252573 (4.04)2 / 327
Member:Clersius
Title:A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam Books (2011), Hardcover, 704 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Read in 2012

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin (2011)

2011 (57) 2012 (39) A Song of Ice and Fire (274) adventure (31) currently-reading (31) dragons (133) ebook (101) epic (70) epic fantasy (98) fantasy (1,212) fiction (485) Game of Thrones (34) George R. R. Martin (32) hardcover (40) high fantasy (36) Kindle (98) magic (28) medieval (39) novel (61) politics (31) read (69) read in 2011 (44) read in 2012 (28) science fiction (32) series (98) sff (44) signed (30) to-read (259) unread (27) war (56)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.

English (239)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (252)
I read the first four books of GRRM’s epic Song of Ice and Fire series my first year in graduate school, back in 2005. I became obsessed - I couldn’t put the books down, I stayed up all night reading in the tub, I shirked important work to read just one more chapter. I finished all 4 within a week, and was so sad to learn that the next wasn’t out yet. But not to worry, it was due out that year!

Well I waited, and waited some more, but honestly by the time A Dance with Dragons came out in 2011 I didn’t really care to read it. Too many other great things out there, to waste time on a series that is unlikely to be finished any time in the next handful of years. Or ever, more likely. But coming back from a work trip this spring, I needed something to read, and there was GRRM in the airport bookstore. “What the hell?” I thought, and gave it a shot.

Well, what can I say? I tried to read it and enjoy it. I continued reading the book for a week or two after getting home from my trip. But all the magic that I’d associated with this series was gone. The book was boring. Nothing seemed to happen. I didn’t care about the characters or the story at all. I found myself preferring to watch TV than to read, because I just didn’t care to read this book. I don’t know if it’s due to the incredibly long gap between books, or the fact that the HBO series so completely turned me off with its blatant misogyny, or if it really is just a horribly-written, dull book in which absolutely nothing ever happens, but I couldn’t bring myself to waste any more of my evenings on it. I gave up after 350+ pages, and I won’t return to the series again. There are just too many other great things out there waiting for me to read them. So this is where the GRRM obsession ends for me. ( )
  philosojerk | Jul 19, 2014 |
There's a reason so many authors write trilogies. This series, which looks to go on forever, has definitely gotten too long. While I like following my favorite characters, it really irritated me that Martin now titles the chapters with descriptions [the blind girl, etc] instead of the character's name [Arya, Jon, Bran]. I think I would have been really annoyed to have waited 5 years for this book, which was supposed to conclude the story, only to find that things will go on .. and on ... and on. ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
The saga continues. I was hoping that Martin would end this, but he still continues to lead us on. Perhaps there are two more volumes! ( )
  creighley | Jul 11, 2014 |
Looking at some of others' reviews, I am not sure I agree with the lower-rated reviews. I was just as enthralled in this book as I was in books 1-4.

Some of my favorite people weren't mentioned, some were killed, and I am still dying to know what happens next.

One thing I'm for sure: I do believe that winter is here. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I am growing increasingly frustrated with this series, not because Martin takes a while to write them (as Neil Gaiman said, "George R. R. Martin is not your bitch"), but because of how much hooplah is in the books. I feel like not...that...much...happens? Like, seriously, this book is 1,000 pages, and I have no idea what was going on, aside from the Big Moments. Did books 5 and 6 really need to be split up. I mean, reeeeeally, George? I get so confused about who is who and who is mad at who and who is dead from book to book, even with the (overly long and not really all that helpful) guide to the families at the back of each book. However, true to form, Martin leaves his readers with a couple of Oh My God What The F*CK Just Happened?! cliff hangers, which leave me giddy and frustrated in the best possible way.

Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of the characters are interesting and I am SO EAGER to see how this all plays out, but I feel like these books could be cut in half and still tell the exciting stories. I'm glad I started reading these books 2 years ago when they were all out, and avoided the 5 or 6 year gaps in between them.

Winter is coming, people! ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Jul 7, 2014 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible