A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and…

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by George R.R. Martin

6,927258522 (4.04)2 / 341
Member:kristykay22
Title:A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2011), Hardcover, 1040 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read, fiction, borrowed, john

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin (2011)

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.

English (245)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (258)
This series definitely got progressively less interesting. I kept hoping something great would happen (it didn't) and that the only character I really still liked (Arya) would get interesting (she didn't). ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Listening to the Audible audio version. Enjoying getting back to Martin's world, but honestly this is taking a back seat to Jim Butcher's latest Harry Dresden novel. I wouldn't have predicted that ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Good lords, compared to all other books, this one is the one that took me longer to read. While I do like pretty much all the characters in the series, my favorite ones showed up more frequently in A Feast for Crows, so the reading of A Dance With Dragons was awfully dragged back. Absolutely NOTHING seemed to happen until near the end of the book, and compared to the previous books, even the occurrences of the end of the book don't really seem as shocking as the end of A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows. For several pages, it felt like the author was just filling the pages with trifle things (specially banquet descriptions. Seriously, whenever I read any chapter that has banquets in it, it feels like he wrote that when he was absolutely starving). In a way, it's good, it helps you to picture the whole scenario quite better. But after this has been going on for over a thousand pages, it starts getting very tiring.

Nevertheless, I never felt so glad to finish reading a book. I'm finally free from heavy spoilers for another while. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
More of a 3.5, rounded down because I'm reflecting my declining love of this series. It started out great, but grew too large & is now choking in its own waste of words. It didn't move along at anything like the pace of the first 2 books. There were long chapters set too close together, improperly titled, & riddled with cliff hangers. The gritty realism is descending into gross for its own sake. Not all the time, but consistently enough that it is wearing.

My biggest complaint is that many of the characters have gone from logical constructs to caricatures. In the previous books, people have been stupid, greedy, & vain, but they had reasons for their actions. In this book, most of them just seemed to act the way they did because they needed to further the plot. Others were on the scene simply because they needed to be. I thought the whole death of the Onion Knight was iffy, but really didn't care for Cat's (Rob's mother) or young Aegon's appearance at all. Unfortunately, neither was particularly surprising. I expect Jon will live similarly to Cat. Yawn. What happened to the ruthless writer who killed off Ned? The prince of Dorne was just awful. On the one hand he was supposed to be serious, his father's son, yet he acted like a complete idiot the few times he actually did anything.

No, I'm not happy with the direction the series has taken. I'll read the next book, but no longer have any worries about HBO handling the large books in a season. A couple of pictures can certainly use up several thousand of these words.

Still, I did get to catch up with some favorite characters & the story was interesting, what there was of it. There were quite a few interesting developments & the world has grown even more. Martin holds a lot of promise in his hands. This can still turn around & I sincerely hope that it does. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,483,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible