A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and…

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by George R.R. Martin

8,078289396 (4.03)2 / 376
Title:A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2011), Hardcover, 1040 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read, fiction, borrowed, john

A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, Jay-Freeman, Keehng96, cherobula, DanKoboldt, pierrenordmann
    Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (276)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (289)
Skimming thru earlier books in series; took so long to publish having to refamiliarize myself with the series. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Lacks resolution, doesn't move the main plot forward significantly, and it's a big, big book. On the other hand, it is incredibly well written and hugely enjoyable and does all sort of cool things. Great stuff. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
Seven. Bloody. Hells.
Thus far, I have been completely spoiler free when writing my reviews for these spoiler ridden books. It's been really really difficult, but I've found that concentrating on the character ARCs has made it a bit more reasonable....
... there are... like... 20 characters followed in this book. I swear, if you've heard this person name mentioned once in the series, then they have a chapter in this book. Or so it seems that way. Not that I'm complaining... It did seem a tad bit overwhelming at points, though. By this point in the series, though, it's assumed that you're able to keep up with all of the characters. Because, let's face it, if you couldn't, then you wouldn't have made it past the second book.
I don't even know where to begin with this book. There was so much. It was so big and so much happened and I just don't even know where to begin.
I can say that I started reading these during the summer, so I didn't have to wait during the time it took between A Feast for Crows and this book. I hear it was a long long time though, and I'm quite glad I didn't have to suffer through that (though who knows how long it will be until the sixth book.) With that said, hopes were high for this book and when expectations are raised, most people are disappointed.
Frankly, I think those most people were totally crazy. Yes, this book was long. Yes, there were points where I wanted certain chapters to just end already. Yes, there are a few things that I take issue with. Overall, though, this book was just... stunning. I feel like any complaints about it would come from the fact that there is a lot to follow in this book.
Another thing about it that was a tad bit confusing, is that for the first half of the book, it takes place at the same time as A Feast for Crows. About halfway through, you start noticing names reappearing from characters featured in AFfC so, you know that the timeline has moved past. It's still a little confusing at the beginning, though.
Of the story itself, at the beginning we're given characters that we didn't see in AFfC. So, Jon Snow, Daenarys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister, Asha Greyjoy, and then a host of other characters (also... really difficult to not be including spoilers what with the timeline and whatnot).
Every character ARC in this book was spectacular, except, I do have some minor complaints. Tyrion Lannister, a character that I thought was pretty great up until a certain point with a certain whore named Shae... Basically, I still do like Tyrion in... his own way. However, I was sick to death of his chapters by the end of this book. His character ARC didn't go anywhere at all in this book. It was all very irritating and I was tired of his drunken misogynistic adventures. (Because, although I do not think ASoIaF is misogynistic, I do think Tyrion Lannister is quite a bit and it was especially bothering me in this book). Also, every Tyrion chapter seemed to be purposefully placed right before the chapters of another character I really wanted to read about, so it made them even worse for me. Then again, in the same light, Tyrion's ARCs are definitely showing his degeneration as a character which is an intriguing matter altogether.
The other character ARC that just left me feeling flat was Dany's. I mean, this had nothing to do with her character at all. It was just that there was way too much focus on Dany's age and bad political choices. I feel like, although these things are important, there was too much and it was outweighing everything else that was going on in the book. That said, I still love Dany as a character, I just thought her ARC was dry as the setting she's been placed in.
The characters that really shown through in this book were Theon Greyjoy's, Jon Snow's, and Asha Greyjoy.I can't even talk about Theon's ARC. I can't do it. Partly because of spoilers and partly because I have so many emotions about it. Basically, if you weren't emotionally invested in Theon by this point (which... baffles me because I've loved him since the beginning.. but... oh well) then you will become emotionally invested in him during this book. I feel like support groups need to be started just for Theon's ARC. Love him or hate him, he will break your heart. Well, if you hate him, or heart my not be shattered like mine was, but you still have to appreciate his growth as a character during the course of the series. Because he's grown a lot and his chapters were easily my favourites in the book, though they were difficult for my heart to handle...
Jon Snow's progression as a character has been one of my favourites to read. Although he's a serious character in himself and remains so throughout the series, I love how strong he's grown from the beginning of the series to this point. His struggles at the Wall were the ones that troubled me the most, because with everyone else, there always seems to be some way out, but with Jon, every decision he is forced to make seems to lead to disaster...
Asha's ARC shined... but maybe that's because she's one of my favourite characters. She didn't have many chapters in comparison to her brother or the "main" characters like Jon and Dany, but the ones that she did just proved the fact that the women of this series are the strong ones.
No, honestly. Are there men in these books at all?
Then we had returning characters who were infuriatingly enough only given one chapter. We were only given one Jaime Lannister chapter (this is a travesty and a crime against humanity. and fangirls.) and his chapter ended on an incredibly frustrating note. We were only given one chapter with Arianne Martell and the Sand Snakes (also a travesty in my opinion. The Martell women are fantastic and deserve their own book). There were only a few Cersei chapters (honestly, the next book will be the Cersei show. I can't wait). There was only one Melisandre chapter (I mean, i've been waiting for her chapters since she was introduced, and we were only given ONE?) Arya got only a handful of chapters. Sansa got NONE. So, that was a bit frustrating.
This also seemed to be the book of hideous cliffhangers. I'm pretty sure only one ARC was closed enough to be considered a reasonable ending. Every character's ARC ended with some big gaping infuriatingly frustrating question. I mean, it's brilliant because there are going to be theories going until the next book comes out. But it's also awful because now we have to wait until the next book comes out.
Honeslty, I feel like this book rivals A Storm of Swords in its emotional depth. It has its dry patches. I mean, it's, like, a thousand pages, obviously it's going to have dry spots. But man, it is good. This story is just good. It's brilliant, actually, and I'm so happy that it's blown up in its popularity. GrrM deserves it because he's brilliant. However, one day he will have to atone for crushing my heart and soul so many times.
I mean, it gets a full rating from me. I just adored it, even with the irritations I had with a few of the characters, it was still amazing. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
""The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some..."" oh hang on...wrong series.

A Song of Ice and Fire is rapidly steering towards Robert Jordan territory.

In this monster of a book we jump from character to character as they do relatively little. They whinge a lot, a slew of new characters are introduced and frequently killed. We also get far too many cliffhangers and repetitions. We are treated to endless details about the world, which would be very useful if this was the supplement for a role-playing game and not a novel.

Jesus wept, this was a dull read.

1 vote StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
So this is the last in the series currently written. And it is true to Martin's form, he has great writing and an in depth character cast. The problem is that I lost momentum with A Feast for Crows. It focused too much on minor characters and was tedious to get through. And because of that I had no built up momentum to carry me through the start of this book, which felt dull and pointless to me, it took almost 600 pages to get to the new "combined" timeline. It was awful, I really had to force myself to read it, I had to twist my own arm. And there was still no story movement, two books and no closer to resolutions, just more cliff hangers, I hope the next one is good and we actually get movement, because if the story stands still for much longer I may not care enough about the ending to read a 7th book.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)
Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.
Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.
Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norey, VirginiaHeraldic Crestssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Jeffery L.Endpaper and interior maps bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible