A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and…

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (original 2011; edition 2011)

by George R.R. Martin

7,689280438 (4.04)2 / 368
Member:JeffV
Title:A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2011), Hardcover, 1040 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin (2011)

Dune by Frank Herbert (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similarly concerned with the politics of power and survival.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's the first in the series and all should be read.

English (268)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (280)
Check out my blog, Rachael Reads, for reviews!

https://rachaelsbookshelf.wordpress.com/2015/05/23/hello-world/ ( )
  Rachael_Reads | Jun 12, 2015 |
As always, what works in these novels is the characterization. No one writes more complex and diverse female characters in the fantasy genre than Martin. OR has a better grasp of warfare. And Martin does manage to pull off a few things that are quite difficult to do. 1) Write from the perspective of multiple characters and multiple points of few. 2) Tell a story out of chronological order.

That said, I'd have cut 60-75% of this book. It's overlong, repetitive, and meanders. A lot of the chapters don't really go anywhere or further the plot. The writer feels the need to give us multiple perspectives on the same series of events, often grounding the plot to a halt in the process. Each chapter ends on a cliff-hanger, but it takes far too long to get to the individual resolutions and sometimes they aren't resolved at all or resolved as an after-thought in the pov of a character who doesn't care all that much.

Of the books, A Dance With Dragons is better than Feast of Crows and Clash of Kings, but not nearly as good as Game of Thrones or Storm of Swords. There's a lot of build-up or set-up for the next book, Winds of Winter - which has yet to be published, and no clear publication date has been set. This book was published July 2011, it's been four years. Normally, Martin publishes one every 5-7 years. And I usually finish the last one just a few months before the next one gets published. So we shall see.

The fact that a lot of this is set-up explains the pacing issues, it's slow and I did a lot of skimming. Martin spends a lot of time getting his characters where they need to be for the next one. This is similar to Clash of Kings which was basically just set up for Storm of Swords, by far the best in the series from a plot perspective.

There's a couple of characters whose fates are undetermined at the end of the story. One that surprised me and I honestly can't see how he could have survived. Shame, I was just starting to really like him. His potential death - which felt abrupt and odd, does make me wonder if anyone in the series will make it out alive and if I really want to continue with it. Also, it's probably not a good sign that I spent a majority of the book worrying about the fate of the dragons - at times even more than the characters, since they are the only innocents in the series.

cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Another great instalment in the Song of Ice and Fire series. I liked it more than Feast since it has more POV characters that I care about. The book reads like a train and twists the plot in impossible ways. I love the setup made for the 6th book and can't wait to read it. I am still mourning and very angry with George for what he did with some of the characters though. Without giving away too much detail: how can you build up a character in over 5000 pages and then have it killed in 4 sentences or less? Crazy... ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
My summary, in order to remember where the story was when the next book comes out. Too lazy to re-read something so painfully long. Private notes too short. Major spoilers ahead.

Bran, nothing, still with the tree. And we know nothing about the Others or what Sam is doing.
Stupid Dany still Queen of meeren,now in the dothraki sea going back.
Meeren in turmoil with freed dragons.
Connington and Aegon messing in Westeros. Charging towards Storm's end.
Varys killed Cersei's uncle and the old maester, they were righting Cersei's mess and he didn't like that.
Cersei to be tried, seems to have lost her pride. I don't believe that for one sec, she is surely acting. Let's see the disaster when she finds out the dead ones. Her champion seems to be The Montain Zombie that moves.
We don't know a thing about Rickon, he is in the bogs or something, Davos is going to search for him.
Theon is probably alive with Asha. I hope he survives, but since I pity him, he is surely going to die.
John dead,night's watch in turmoil 'cause stannis probably dead (maybe Ramsay was lying). Wonder what is the creepy red lady going to do, she deserves a slow death. Hope Ghost survives.
Arya, oh Arya, one of the best characters, I'm surprised you are not dead already. Still getting some weird-as-fuck training in the house of the god of many faces. I wonder if they are like the sorrowful brothers, training to kill. But since they don't take money...I don't think so. Where is Jaqen H'ghar? Could he be the Kindly man? don't think so either.
Jaime and Brienne gone after she said some stupid things; the Hound has Sansa? Right, since when? Little Finger has to die soon, but maybe he'll live some more and rape Sansa. Stupid trusting girl, after all that happened to her.
Loras should be some monster, but who knows.
The Wall will fall without John!!! what was that idiot thinking? after doing so much for his vows he threw them away because of some bastard's provocation!!!?
Tyrion and the idiotic bear knight are with sells-swords outside meereen. Since war is comming, by order of Barristan, maybe one of them will die. But I think Tyrion has to see dragons first...so maybe he'll live to see his sister's demise?
The saintly sand snake coming to council, she is arriving to the mess...we'll see.

aka_no_joou | May 19, 2015 |
Am I the only one who thinks books 1 through 3 are way better than the last two? This book was like 50 hours long and I was interested in maybe five hours of it. I'm frustrated because it's so much work to get through but I really want to know what happens and how it ends. I just need a long break before delving into the next one. I'm starting to feel like it's a massive homework assignment though. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 27, 2015 |
It's terrible. Martin has taken the concept of the pot-boiler to an extreme — it's a novel where nothing happens other than continual seething, roiling turmoil. He whipsaws the reader through a dozen different, complex story lines where characters struggle to survive in a world wrecked by civil war — one other problem is that I'd hit a chapter about some minor character from the previous four books, and struggled to remember who the heck this person is, and why I'm supposed to care — and again, nothing is resolved. Well, not quite: major characters are brutally killed, if they're male, and graphically and degradingly humiliated into irrelevance if they're female. I guess that's a resolution, all right — perhaps the last book will be a lovingly detailed description of a graveyard, draped with naked women mourning?
added by jimroberts | editPharyngula, PZ Myers (Jul 28, 2011)

Martin remains boundlessly creative, sketching out intricately realized new civilizations, societies, religions, and factions on one continent while continuing to complicate the established political agendas on another. No part of his world ever feels like an afterthought or an easy fantasy cliché.

Even so, “A Dance With Dragons,” for its bounty of adventure, is more about Mr. Martin marshaling his forces in anticipation of the cycle’s final two books.

Was "A Dance With Dragons" worth the six-year wait? Absolutely.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce volume est pour mes fans

pour Lodey, Trebla, Stego, Pod,
Caress, Yags, X-Ray et Mr. X,
Kate, Chataya, Mormont, Mich,
Jamie, Vanessa, Ro,
pour Stubby, Louise, Agravaine,
Wert, Malt, Jo,
Mouse, Telisiane, Blackfyre,
Bronn Stone, Coyote's Daughter
et le reste des cinglés et des folles furieuses de
la Confrérie sans Bannières

pour les sorciers de mon site web
Elio et Linda, seigneurs de Westeros,
Winter et Fabio de WIC,
et Gibbs de Dragonstone, à l'origine de tout

pour les hommes et les femmes d'Asshai en Espagne
qui nous ont chanté un ours et une gente damoiselle
et les fabuleux fans d'Italie
qui m'ont tant donné de vin

pour mes lecteurs de Finlande, Allemagne,
Brésil, Portugal, France et Pays-Bas
et tous les autres pays lointains
où vous attendiez cette danse

et pour tous les amis et les fans
qu'il me reste encore à rencontrer

Merci de votre patience
The night was rank with the smell of man.
"Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies .... The man who never reads lives only one."
Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.
Give me priests who are fat and corrupt and cynical ... the sort who like to sit on soft satin cushions, nibble sweetmeats, and diddle little boys. It's the ones who believe in gods who make the trouble.
There are ghosts in Winterfell. And I am one of them.
Little plot progress
Dragons? Dany? Others? Imp?
Do nothing at all
(amweb)

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . . .

Dubbed “the American Tolkien” by Time magazine, George R. R. Martin has earned international acclaim for his monumental cycle of epic fantasy. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author delivers the fifth book in his spellbinding landmark series--as both familiar faces and surprising new forces vie for a foothold in a fragmented empire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:56 -0400)

New threats emerge to endanger the future of the Seven Kingdoms, as Daenerys Targaryen, ruling in the East, fights off a multitude of enemies, while Jon Snow, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, faces his foes both in the Watch and beyond the great Wallof ice and stone.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,866,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible