Notes from the Cracked Ceiling: Hillary…

Notes from the Cracked Ceiling: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and What It…

by Anne E. Kornblut

332338,203 (3)None

I wanted to think this book was amazing. I agree with many of Kornblut's points: I think there is still a lot of sexism in politics (well, in American culture in general) and more specifically, I do think it makes it harder for women to be viable candidates.

However, she sort of lost me in the section about Hillary Clinton where she talked about the divide between young female voters and their mothers and grandmothers. I consider myself a feminist, and yes, I am part of the third wave, but I'm not going to vote for Hillary Clinton simply because she is a woman and it would be ground-breaking, which is the point that I felt Kornblut was trying to make. Kornblut seems to think that young women feel like feminism is over, that any woman could be elected president at any time, and we just, like, don't care. (Seriously. One of the TWO young women she interviewed happened to use "like" in a sentence similiar to what I stated and that's what she chose to include in her book.) Heaven forbid I, as a young feminist, be sick of the Clintons. I should have laid aside the fact, that for the first time ever in my life, I felt excited about a political candidate and not like I was trying to choose the lesser evil and voted for Clinton because it was a historic moment for women. I guess I need to turn in my feminist card then.

I can see why Kornblut chose to include the statistics about how there was a divide between feminists on who to vote for. I just think she should have expanded her pool of third wave feminists beyond two interviews. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book that is mostly about Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin could have been much better. A lot of what is writtten about the two women is neither flattering nor vetted as 100% true. Most of what is written will not be a surprise to any reader who has followed the 2008 presidential campaigns. A few other well-known political women are mentioned, such as Nancy Pelosi and Olympia Snowe, but in frustratingly little detail. The book overall seems to just skim the surface of all these very complicated women. I'm not sure what it says about the future of women who strive to reach the top but, in that regard, it was rather pessimistic. ( )
  kageeh | Mar 17, 2010 |

In the presidential election of 2008 America seemed ready to elevate a woman to the presidency or vice presidency and—with Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin—was on the verge of actually doing so. Words like inevitable and phenomenon were in the air and the political and cultural stars seemed to be aligned.

Why didn’t it happen? What will it take to make it happen soon?

In a probing analysis sure to ignite controversy, acclaimed White House correspondent Anne Kornblut argues that the optimists are blind to formidable obstacles that still stand in the way of any woman who aims for America’s highest political offices. And she makes clear exactly which strategies and common assumptions will need to change if a woman intends to break through the “highest, hardest glass ceiling” of all. Delving deep inside the Clinton and Palin campaigns, Kornblut reveals:

• the strategists’ mishandling of their candidates as women by failing to strike the right balance between femininity and toughness

• Clinton’s weathering of a series of stinging gender-based attacks, until accusations of “pimping out” her daughter, Chelsea, finally brought her to tears

• that Barack Obama was celebrated for his “historic”win in Iowa, even though it was not the first time an African American had won a caucus, but few noticed when Clinton became the first woman to  win a primary in New Hampshire

• that Palin was chosen solely by men, none of whom had experience in running women for office

Drawing from exclusive interviews with prominent women in both parties, Kornblut pinpoints where politically ambitious American women have gone wrong and what it will take to put them on track to the ultimate prize: the presidency. Former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice asserts: “We crossed the bar on African Americans some time ago. I’m not quite sure we’ve crossed it on women.” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi remarks on the “suit of armor” women must don to survive the sexism and viciousness of politics. Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano confronts the false rumors that she is a lesbian and reveals what an invigorating “kick in the pants” it is to be in politics. And California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman, the former head of eBay, compares politics to business: “It feels to me, thus far, as less of a meritocracy and more of a popularity contest. More of a little bit of an old boys’ club.”

Kornblut identifies the surprising realities of gender politics, such as the harsh treatment female candidates often receive from women voters, the gap between the United States and other countries when it comes to the electability of women, the “mommy penalty” that handicaps women candidates with young children, and the special appeal that women with law enforcement backgrounds have with voters.

Notes from the Cracked Ceiling reveals that the highly touted new era of gender-equal politics never got as far as was commonly perceived and is now in full retreat. It is essential reading for anyone who cares about politics and the limits for women that persist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible