Get Lucky

by Katherine Center

How do you change your luck? Katherine Center's marvelously entertaining and poignant new novel is about choosing to look for happiness--and maybe getting lucky enough to find it. nbsp; Sarah Harper isn't sure if the stupid decisions she sometimes makes are good choices in disguise--or if they're really just stupid. But either way, after forwarding an inappropriate email to her entire company, she suddenly finds herself out of a job.nbsp; nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; So she goes home to Houston--and her sister, Mackie--for Thanksgiving. But before Sarah can share her troubles with her sister, she learns that Mackie has some woes of her own: After years of trying, Mackie's given up on having a baby--and plans to sell on eBay the entire nursery she's set up. Which gives Sarah a brilliant idea--an idea that could fix everyone's problems. An idea that gives Sarah the chance to take care of her big sister for once--instead of the other way around. nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp; But nothing worthwhile is ever easy. After a decade away, Sarah is forced to confront one ghost from her past after another: the father she's lost touch with, the memories of her mother, the sweet guy she dumped horribly in high school. Soon everything that matters is on the line--and Sarah can only hope that by changing her life she has changed her luck, too.… (more)
    The Mommy Club by Sarah Bird (DDay)
    DDay: Both books feature surrogates in Texas who live with the intended parents during their pregnancy.

I just finished a more recent book by this author, which I liked a great deal. This one had me a bit more impatient as I read, skimming at times to get through portions, but found a similar message to the one that charmed me in the last book: "Dixie says when we comfort others, we comfort ourselves". It wasn't the final take home message of the book, but it felt like I stumbled on an old friend when I read it, though granted, Dixie is unlike any old friend I can recall. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 24, 2018 |
I was really on the fence between giving this three or four stars but went with four because it is an enjoyable distraction. Exactly what I need at times. This is definitely Chick Lit. It has some serious moments and many quirky funny moments. I can empathize and identify with the klutzy awkward mode that the main character Sarah often finds herself in. I enjoyed the relationship between the two sisters and thing the author was spot on with how the relationship progressed and evolved. The romantic interest part was interesting as well. I like the slant the story took when Sarah gets caught up in saving the library but the archaeology references did make me wander a bit. Most of the characters were interesting even the annoying ones. ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |
Sarah was a high level advertising executive who successfully created a national campaign which plastered pictures of breasts and bras all over the nation. After accidentally(?) sabotaging herself and getting fired the same day of her greatest success, Sarah escapes the city to return to her hometown, seeking refuge with her sister and husband in Texas. Sarah and her sister, Mackie, have always been best friends and so it seems like a great idea to offer herself up as a surrogate for Mackie and her husband, Clive, who are reeling from a series of failed pregnancies. Sarah underestimates the challenge, however, of carrying a pregnancy to term, particularly when her ex-boyfriend reappears in her life and her dad suddenly announces his love for a strange glittery middle-aged cowgirl, who is no replacement for their deceased mother. As her due date looms closer, Sarah has to make decisions about her life and role in her family and she realizes that surrogacy may have some unexpected consequences.

I enjoyed this book after I gave it a little time. After Sarah's boyfriend re-entered the picture, I enjoyed the "Mr. Darcy" aspect of the story a little more. A fun and quick beach read. ( )
  voracious | Jul 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was really surprised hwo much I liked this book! It's classic chick lit, but not as goopy as some of them are. The main chararcter is flawed (real) and while she tries to do the right thing, it's not always easy. Or possible.

This would be a great book to read on vacation, on a plane, or on a snowy afternoon. It's an easy read and pretty compelling. ( )
  sacrain | Oct 3, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
You know when a book starts with the above lines you’re in for a humorous ride – especially when said book was authored by Katherine Center, whose previous novel, Everyone is Beautiful, was one of my favorite reads of 2009. Sarah Harper did indeed e-mail a link to an inappropriate website to her entire company – but her heart was in the right place. Her intentions didn’t count with the higher-ups, however, and Sarah finds herself out of a job.

Sarah heads home to Houston to spend Thanksgiving with her sister, Mackie, and her father. After years of trying, Mackie and her husband, Clive, have given up on having a baby. Sarah, newly adrift and looking for a purpose, offers to be a surrogate mother for their baby. It seems like a wonderful decision, a selfless way for Sarah to give her sister what she wants more than anything else. What Sarah doesn’t know is that this offer will stretch her in ways she never imagined, wreak havoc on her relationship with Mackie, and change the direction of her life.

Ms. Center has a gift for capturing the interior world of her characters and as I read, I groaned with Sarah over her mishaps, cried with her when she was missing her mother, and rejoiced over her triumphs. As a woman with three sisters, I could relate to the complicated closer-than-friends relationship that sisters share – a relationship that is full of as much frustration as it is love, but one that will stick around for life.

There are a few authors who are able to find the perfect balance of humor and authenticity when writing fiction for women, and Katherine Center is one of them. She has become one of my must-read authors. ( )
  nnjmom | May 14, 2011 |
For my amazing sisters: Elizabeth Ann Pannill and Shelley Pannill Stein. I don't know who I'd be without you.
First: I got fired.
I know she saw herself as protecting our tenuous little family unit -- protecting all of us from a threat she hadn't even defined yet, but that had something to do with change, and how change always leads, in its way, to loss.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Center's book Get Lucky was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,430,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible