Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth…

Lilibet: An Intimate Portrait of Elizabeth II

by Carolly Erickson

1.5 stars Not well written. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
I was wandering about the library yesterday (like I do - often) when I saw this book, which I read over a year ago, and wondered if I had 'entered' it into Goodreads. Indeed I had not! A royal book, no less! So here it is. I liked it. I always find it a little weird to be reading unauthorized bios of people who are still alive, but it wasn't too scandalous. Phillip is kind of a jerk, but whatcha gonna do. I need to read the three or so royal books I own that I've been picking up slowly but surely at used book stores. At least it's winter (or, fall, or, whatever, it's raining today) - so more time for reading! ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
This book was exactly what I was looking for: an easy to read biography of the Queen. The prose read almost like a novel, making the book engaging and fun to read. My only concerns were regarding the veracity of her assumptions and stories. There were endnotes to the book, but not quite enough evidence for my liking. I suppose when you are writing a story about an elusive figure such as Elizabeth, rock solid evidence on her personal life is difficult to come by. All in all, an enjoyable and enlightening read. ( )
  haleyo | May 25, 2011 |

In Lilibet, master biographer Carolly Erickson turns her skill at writing un-put-downable narrative to telling the remarkable story of Elizabeth II, Queen of England.

With her customary psychological insight, historian Erickson traces the queen's gilded but often thorny path from her overprotected girlhood to her ascension to the throne at twenty-five to her personal and national difficulties as queen.

Lilibet shows us an Elizabeth we thought we knew-but shows her in a different light: as a small, shy woman with a sly and at times raucous sense of humor, a woman who appears stiff in public, but in private enjoys watching wrestling on TV. A woman most at home among her horses and dogs. And a woman long annealed to heartbreak and sorrow, who has presided over the decline of Great Britain and the decline in prestige of her own Windsor dynasty.

Far from being a light, gossipy treatment of a celebrity, Lilibet tells the queen's story from her point of view, letting the reader relive Elizabeth's long and eventful life with all its splendid ceremonies, momentous responsibilities and family clashes. Through it all we glimpse, as never before, the strong and appealing sovereign who has ruled over her people for half a century and more, a ruler of immense wealth, international esteem and high character whose daily life is grounded in the bedrock of common sense.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Presents an intimate study of Queen Elizabeth II, from her protected childhood, to her ascension to the throne at the age of twenty-five, to the personal and national challenges she has confronted during her fifty years on the throne of Great Britain.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,476,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible