The Pain Chronicles by Melanie Thernstrom

The Pain Chronicles (2010)

by Melanie Thernstrom

Recently added byprivate library, cassea.leavitt, vrullan, SEG_Libraries

The story of a woman's journey to discover the cause of her own chronic pain, and a history of pain itself - how it has been explained and treated through history. Sympathetic insight for the healthy and the healers. Comfort and revelation for those suffering from chronic pain themselves. ( )
  gratefulyoga | Feb 9, 2012 |
Certainly interesting and some useful info. A bit dated on medications and not too specific on side effects. What really bothered me was this chatty journo speak. I mean why do we readers need to know that doctor X has a finely chiselled chin or that patient Y has dark auburn curls. That just diminishes the sincerety for me.
  allsun | Nov 7, 2011 |
This combines a first person account tracing the origins of the author's chronic pain with the history and philosophy of pain. It may open readers' eyes about the plight of people with chronic pain, making it all too real. Leaves one with empathy and a sense of the hopelessness some feel with lack of diagnosis or treatment options. ( )
  sleahey | Sep 6, 2011 |
Some useful info. ( )
  pilarflores | Dec 23, 2010 |
Fascinating. Learned a lot. I'll have to see if my physical therapist has read it. ( )
  glitrbug | Dec 5, 2010 |

Each of us will know physical pain in our lives, but none of us knows when it will come or how long it will stay. Today as much as 10 percent of the population of the United States suffers from chronic pain. It is more widespread, misdiagnosed, and undertreated than any major disease. While recent research has shown that pain produces pathological changes to the brain and spinal cord, many doctors and patients still labor under misguided cultural notions and outdated scientific dogmas that prevent proper treatment, to devastating effect.

In The Pain Chronicles, a singular and deeply humane work, Melanie Thernstrom traces conceptions of pain throughout the ages—from ancient Babylonian pain-banishing spells to modern brain imaging—to reveal the elusive, mysterious nature of pain itself. Interweaving first-person reflections on her own battle with chronic pain, incisive reportage from leading-edge pain clinics and medical research, and insights from a wide range of disciplines—science, history, religion, philosophy, anthropology, literature, and art—Thernstrom shows that when dealing with pain we are neither as advanced as we imagine nor as helpless as we may fear.

Both a personal meditation and an intellectual exploration, The Pain Chronicles illuminates and makes sense of the all-too-human experience of pain—and confronts with extraordinary grace and empathy its peculiar traits, its harrowing effects, and its various antidotes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:53 -0400)

Interweaving first-person reflections on her own battle with chronic pain, incisive reportage from leading-edge pain clinics and medical research, and insights from a wide range of disciplines--science, history, religion, philosophy, anthropology, literature, and art--Thernstrom shows that when dealing with pain we are neither as advanced as we imagine nor as helpless as we may fear.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,364,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible