The White Reign, Book 1 of The Wild Throne…

The White Reign, Book 1 of The Wild Throne series

by D. L. Johansen

551,436,638 (4.5)None
Recently added byDalziel, LeighLock, Ambivalent, Dandeleo

I read a lot of this guy's books and everyone of them is written differently and has different reasons to like them. This one is more like those old fantasy world books you used to read like tolkein, but this is much easier to read. Its the start of a series about the rule of the white lion kings of Rossus, although in this book they are still princes being brought up in pretty f***d up ways by their advisors. Petereit is beautiful and insecure and is constantly being pushed and beaten by his regent to make him tougher, Alexander is a sickly science lover who wants to be as pious as his regent but can't. The two are possibly a new breed of lion with magical abilities that makes them blasphemous creations. Their journey from boys to men and the changes in their character are really interesting, more than I would have thought, and it doesn't look good for the next books when these two become kings and start to look to rebuild the kingdoms and seek revenge. Not usually my cup of tea but this was really good. ( )
  Ambivalent | Jun 10, 2012 |
The start of an epic saga of magical white lions ruling the kingdom of Rossus against the rival Renmairk throne. ( )
  Dalziel | Jun 10, 2012 |
A sprawling kind of epic fantasy but in a more modern style. The beginning of the new rulers of the thousand year old kingdom of Rossus, with the two orphaned princes being trained up to become the kings. After their parents are killed by the rival Renmairk kings, the Rossus princes, Peter and Alex, are raised by the court especially Amzel the advisor Exarch and Graaf Duchovni the warrior advisor. The princes start as young, insecure things and are made into enemies, then friends by the nature of their training and lives. Peter is handsome and insecure, charming and deeply troubled and looking for acceptance. Alex is shy, sickly, trying to be religious, bookish and intrigued by the new science of magic, even though it goes against their religion. How these two change and adapt and become the characters they end up being at the end is fascinating and setting up the next books in the series as the princes are crowned in the end of this book and become the kings that their advisors never thought they'd be. Can't wait to see them come up against the characters introduced in this book when they are princes, to see them take control when they are kings. should be a bit of payback in the wings. ( )
  LeighLock | Jun 10, 2012 |
I got a whole bunch of this author's books for Christmas and I've so enjoyed reading them I can't wait to find more. This is a real epic thing set in a past alternate world about 18th century, with an intelligent animal society intermingled with our own. This book is about the rise of two white lion princes in a superstitious and strange world where their parents have been killed and they are being groomed to be the best kings ever to take back their lost kingdom lands from the enemy Renmairk throne. Quite dark and nasty in places, but very interesting in it's ideas and the way things play out. really good. ( )
  Dandeleo | Dec 28, 2009 |
I'm finding all the firsts in this author's series' and I'm hoping to get the rest because they're all very different from each other. This is set in an alternate past 17th century with kingdoms of animals squeezed in and competing with our human world. The two white lion princes are orphaned by a rival kingdom an undergo a harsh upbringing to make them strong enough kings to take control of the worldwide Alphan Kingdom, the Wild Throne. As prince Alexander overcomes his consumption and Petereit deals with abuse and mental instability, they both find they have the ability they call magic. But their white fur and manipulation of magic makes them a target for zealous religious empires following the One True God of Many Names. It's interesting to try and pick the locations of the kingdoms - Japan, Africa, Madagascar and Italy are my bets, but also South America I think is the heart of the Saint Lands and the Inquisitors. Despite the fact it's about talking animals dressed in frock coats and robes, this is not a kids book and Petereit's mental and physical abuse from the lion supposedly protecting him almost says something about the author! Interesting to see what happens in the second book, 'cause I don't think as kings Petereit is going to be too stable, and Alexander won't put up with his behaviour against the Winter Throne. There's a showdown coming! ( )
  Dalziel | Dec 12, 2009 |
To Dad, the first of the Rossus kings
'How embarrassing. I was saved by a harp orchestra.'

'They are a very good harp orchestra.'
‘Where are his family now?’

‘Dead.’

The lion was taken aback. ‘What? You gave your word…’

Albrecht smiled smugly. ‘Uncle. I am only a child. Why should anyone take my word?’

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible