Assassin's creed : renaissance by Oliver…

Assassin's creed : renaissance (edition 2009)

by Oliver Bowden (Author)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Assassin's creed : renaissance
Authors:Oliver Bowden (Author)
Info:London : Penguin, 2009.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, november, library, qq, historical, historical fiction, assassin, templars

Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden

Recently added byJess91, private library, WhiteGalaxy, dm13, Nocta4, marchee

18-year-old Ezio Auditore da Firenze's father is betrayed by the ruling families of Italy. Ezio thought he was just a banker, but in reality he was part of an assassin's group trying to stop the Knights Templar from taking over the world. Whilst on the run Ezio witnesses his father and brother's death sentences. Vowing revenge, he turns to the path of the assassin as he joins the race to find an ancient technology called the 'Apple'.

The storyline showed a lot of promise but was events were so hastily delivered that it was disappointing. There was no depth of character growth, no real emotional involvement in the story. ( )
  boppisces | May 24, 2014 |
While one should never expect too much from a media tie-in - in this case, a book based on the video game - this one delivers such promise. But not the product.
The book is - no more, no less - a novelization of the game. There's no extra prologue. No additional extrapolation. And that is where the book's promise was, in filling out characters, expanding on story aspects. These were never delivered. Each chapter read like a level of the game.
It was well novelized, however, with 'authentic' Italian phrases peppered throughout.
Unless you enjoyed the game, this novel has little to offer you. Fans of historical fiction will find even less enjoyment. ( )
  paulrharvey3 | Jun 24, 2013 |
I'm sure I would have reviewed this differently if I hadn't played the games. As it is, the bulk of this book is simply a retelling of the events that happened in Assassin's Creed II and some of the memories in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and having played those, reading the book after the fact proved to be a vastly inferior experience.

This is why I don't usually read direct novelizations of movies or games, etc (with the exception of Star Wars: Ep. 1-6, but that's more about collecting the hardcovers more than anything). Why bother, when it's usually so much more satisfying to play the original video game, especially in the case of the action/adventure-oriented AC series? When I read video game tie-in novels, I expect more than just a rehash of events; I expect additions to the lore or the setting, even if they have to focus on other characters. Think the Mass Effect series or the Dragon Age series.

Otherwise, this book was relatively well-written. Oliver Bowden does a good job bringing the story to life with words, though the pacing felt a bit off. However, I can't fault the author much for story or plot decisions, as I'm guessing he had to stay as faithful as he could to game (another downside of direct novelizations), not to mention likely deal with a multitude of restrictions from Ubisoft.

My opinion? Skip this if you've played the game. Though, I have to say after reading this, I've gained a deeper appreciation for video-game storytelling. The industry has certainly come a long way in this regard, when the events of a game can actually be adapted into a realistic, legitimate and more than acceptable full-length novel. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 9, 2013 |
Now I've never played the game so I have no idea how it compares but this was a sometimes rushed romp through Renaissance Italy with secret Assassin and Templar groups and Leonardo da Vinci feature and romp through the book.

It's not the worst I've read but it's not that compelling. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 21, 2012 |
I didn'tplay the game but I still appreciate the book.
Lot of action, many punches, characters are deep, writting is good and easy to read.

A good book for a young adult who have to start reading!
If this young adult had played the game, this book have no interest as it seems to be too close to the game ( )
  Gluk | Dec 19, 2011 |
While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
- Leonardo da Vinci
Torches gleamed and flickered high on the towers of the Palazzo Vecchio and the Bargello, and just a few lanterns shimmered in the cathedral square a little way to the north.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019293, Mass Market Paperback)

View our feature on Oliver Bowden’s Assassin's Creed.

“I will seek vengeance upon those who betrayed my family. I am Ezio Auditore Da Firenze. I am an assassin…”

Betrayed by the ruling families of Italy, a young man embarks upon an epic quest for vengeance. To eradicate corruption and restore his family’s honor, he will learn the art of the Assassins.

Along the way, Ezio will call upon the wisdom of such great minds as Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavello—knowing that survival is bound to the skills by which he must live.

To his allies, he will become a force for change—fighting for freedom and justice. To his enemies, he will become a threat dedicated to the destruction of the tyrants abusing the people of Italy.

So begins an epic story of power, revenge and conspiracy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:54 -0400)

Betrayed by the ruling families of Italy, Ezio vows to exact his revenge and restore his family's honor by using the skills he has learned from such great minds as Da Vinci and Macchiavelli to become a righteous assassin.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible