Assassin's creed : renaissance by Oliver…

Assassin's creed : renaissance (edition 2009)

by Oliver Bowden

Title:Assassin's creed : renaissance
Authors:Oliver Bowden (Author)
Info:London : Penguin, 2009.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, november, library, qq, historical, historical fiction, assassin, templars

Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I'll just admit it up front: Assassin's Creed II is one of my favourite games. I mean, it completely had me at renaissance Italy.

This book is quite literally the game, but then written down. Even all the complete uses exercises/lessons in the game have somehow made it into the book. Remember a task where all you need to do is carry a crate? No? Trust me, that's a task and it's in the book as well. Oh, Ezio, could you not find me more of this codex pages? It's in there.

There isn't too much to say about the story, since it's the game. I don't know if I would recommend this to someone who doesn't have nice memories to the game, because the writing is at best not really good. It feels weird, not fluent and the events are sometimes kind of thrown together. I think this would probably be due to the fact that their were very few new elements in the story. At times I cringed and even more times I just smiled, for as I realised I was reading a bad book, I couldn't stop but liking it. A lot.

And if you just don't have too much expectations, and just want an easy read, this might be a very enjoyable read. I will be reading at least the next book in the series. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
Ezio Auditore ages quickly throughout the book, and readers get to witness his growth and maturity. Being a person who played this game, I found the book to be a bit boring at times since I already knew the story, but being able to experience Ezio's inner thoughts about events were refreshing. The pace at which years would pass between chapters would sometimes be hard to keep up with though. Ezio is much older and more experienced by the end of the novel though his work is farm from being done. The fact that he never runs out of enemies can become a bit tiring as well, but the book is well worth the read for avid fans of the franchise that don't mind dealing with a retelling of a story they already know all too well. ( )
  AlphaHikar | Jan 1, 2015 |
Assassin's Creed is easily one of my favorite games ever. As someone who has played the four main games in a row (aside from Bloodlines, Discovery and Altaïr's Chronicles), I thought that reading the books was essential for a full understanding of the game's story, regardless of all the reviews stating that the books suck. It happens that it isn't. Nevertheless, I didn't think it was THAT bad.
I have to agree with several comments saying that some important details have been grotesquely changed, like the fact that Ezio's Hidden Blade is used on the right arm rather than in the left arm (and indeed, there is a whole symbology behind this small detail). And I also have to admit that I expected much more of the story, specially regarding the historical facts. Instead, I found myself reading a book that is pretty much the game's script, which isn't completely bad since there were a couple of parts in the game I didn't fully understand and I thought that reading the book would be better than replaying the whole game all over again. Still, if I had to choose between replaying the game and reading this book, I would choose the first option. After playing the games, reading the book is a relatively dull experience. The action scenes' descriptions are not as epic as living the whole thing. Knowing a couple of Ezio's feelings is nice, but in the end the book doesn't give you a brand new experience of the Assassin's Creed's story. Moreover, the lack of the Animus parts does make the last part of the book senseless. I would say that people who have not played the game would feel lost.
One interesting aspect of the book is that the content that is originally on the game's downloadable contents (The Battle of Forlì) has been inserted into Renaissance. I didn't play the DLC, so it was nice to read about one of the best fights of lady Caterina Sforza. It's also worth mentioning that Cristina's memories, which only show in the game Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is present in this book, so you might want to finish the game before reading this book lest you want to be spoiled.
Assassin's Creed: Renaissance is, at least for the ones who have been following up with the games, an interesting book. But if you're looking for a solid book that guides you through the History of Italy and the influence of the Templars in it, then you might want to skip this one. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
A rica história do jogo Assassin´s Creed II foi transformada em uma narrativa pobre e linear. Uma pena pois a quantidade de detalhes, de personagens ricos e possíveis narrativas paralelas foram totalmente ignorados. ( )
  Binderman | Aug 16, 2014 |
While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
- Leonardo da Vinci
Torches gleamed and flickered high on the towers of the Palazzo Vecchio and the Bargello, and just a few lanterns shimmered in the cathedral square a little way to the north.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019293, Mass Market Paperback)

View our feature on Oliver Bowden’s Assassin's Creed.

“I will seek vengeance upon those who betrayed my family. I am Ezio Auditore Da Firenze. I am an assassin…”

Betrayed by the ruling families of Italy, a young man embarks upon an epic quest for vengeance. To eradicate corruption and restore his family’s honor, he will learn the art of the Assassins.

Along the way, Ezio will call upon the wisdom of such great minds as Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavello—knowing that survival is bound to the skills by which he must live.

To his allies, he will become a force for change—fighting for freedom and justice. To his enemies, he will become a threat dedicated to the destruction of the tyrants abusing the people of Italy.

So begins an epic story of power, revenge and conspiracy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:58 -0400)

Betrayed by the ruling families of Italy, Ezio vows to exact his revenge and restore his family's honor by using the skills he has learned from such great minds as Da Vinci and Macchiavelli to become a righteous assassin.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,801,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible