Assassin's creed : renaissance by Oliver…

Assassin's creed : renaissance (edition 2009)

by Oliver Bowden (Author)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Assassin's creed : renaissance
Authors:Oliver Bowden (Author)
Info:London : Penguin, 2009.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, november, library, qq, historical, historical fiction, assassin, templars

Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden

Recently added byaryadeschain, areadingmachine, Binderman, fmcdonald1044, aruthane, Jess91, private library

Assassin's Creed is easily one of my favorite games ever. As someone who has played the four main games in a row (aside from Bloodlines, Discovery and Altaïr's Chronicles), I thought that reading the books was essential for a full understanding of the game's story, regardless of all the reviews stating that the books suck. It happens that it isn't. Nevertheless, I didn't think it was THAT bad.
I have to agree with several comments saying that some important details have been grotesquely changed, like the fact that Ezio's Hidden Blade is used on the right arm rather than in the left arm (and indeed, there is a whole symbology behind this small detail). And I also have to admit that I expected much more of the story, specially regarding the historical facts. Instead, I found myself reading a book that is pretty much the game's script, which isn't completely bad since there were a couple of parts in the game I didn't fully understand and I thought that reading the book would be better than replaying the whole game all over again. Still, if I had to choose between replaying the game and reading this book, I would choose the first option. After playing the games, reading the book is a relatively dull experience. The action scenes' descriptions are not as epic as living the whole thing. Knowing a couple of Ezio's feelings is nice, but in the end the book doesn't give you a brand new experience of the Assassin's Creed's story. Moreover, the lack of the Animus parts does make the last part of the book senseless. I would say that people who have not played the game would feel lost.
One interesting aspect of the book is that the content that is originally on the game's downloadable contents (The Battle of Forlì) has been inserted into Renaissance. I didn't play the DLC, so it was nice to read about one of the best fights of lady Caterina Sforza. It's also worth mentioning that Cristina's memories, which only show in the game Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is present in this book, so you might want to finish the game before reading this book lest you want to be spoiled.
Assassin's Creed: Renaissance is, at least for the ones who have been following up with the games, an interesting book. But if you're looking for a solid book that guides you through the History of Italy and the influence of the Templars in it, then you might want to skip this one. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
A rica história do jogo Assassin´s Creed II foi transformada em uma narrativa pobre e linear. Uma pena pois a quantidade de detalhes, de personagens ricos e possíveis narrativas paralelas foram totalmente ignorados. ( )
  Binderman | Aug 16, 2014 |
18-year-old Ezio Auditore da Firenze's father is betrayed by the ruling families of Italy. Ezio thought he was just a banker, but in reality he was part of an assassin's group trying to stop the Knights Templar from taking over the world. Whilst on the run Ezio witnesses his father and brother's death sentences. Vowing revenge, he turns to the path of the assassin as he joins the race to find an ancient technology called the 'Apple'.

The storyline showed a lot of promise but was events were so hastily delivered that it was disappointing. There was no depth of character growth, no real emotional involvement in the story. ( )
  boppisces | May 24, 2014 |
While one should never expect too much from a media tie-in - in this case, a book based on the video game - this one delivers such promise. But not the product.
The book is - no more, no less - a novelization of the game. There's no extra prologue. No additional extrapolation. And that is where the book's promise was, in filling out characters, expanding on story aspects. These were never delivered. Each chapter read like a level of the game.
It was well novelized, however, with 'authentic' Italian phrases peppered throughout.
Unless you enjoyed the game, this novel has little to offer you. Fans of historical fiction will find even less enjoyment. ( )
  paulrharvey3 | Jun 24, 2013 |
I'm sure I would have reviewed this differently if I hadn't played the games. As it is, the bulk of this book is simply a retelling of the events that happened in Assassin's Creed II and some of the memories in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and having played those, reading the book after the fact proved to be a vastly inferior experience.

This is why I don't usually read direct novelizations of movies or games, etc (with the exception of Star Wars: Ep. 1-6, but that's more about collecting the hardcovers more than anything). Why bother, when it's usually so much more satisfying to play the original video game, especially in the case of the action/adventure-oriented AC series? When I read video game tie-in novels, I expect more than just a rehash of events; I expect additions to the lore or the setting, even if they have to focus on other characters. Think the Mass Effect series or the Dragon Age series.

Otherwise, this book was relatively well-written. Oliver Bowden does a good job bringing the story to life with words, though the pacing felt a bit off. However, I can't fault the author much for story or plot decisions, as I'm guessing he had to stay as faithful as he could to game (another downside of direct novelizations), not to mention likely deal with a multitude of restrictions from Ubisoft.

My opinion? Skip this if you've played the game. Though, I have to say after reading this, I've gained a deeper appreciation for video-game storytelling. The industry has certainly come a long way in this regard, when the events of a game can actually be adapted into a realistic, legitimate and more than acceptable full-length novel. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 9, 2013 |
While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
- Leonardo da Vinci
Torches gleamed and flickered high on the towers of the Palazzo Vecchio and the Bargello, and just a few lanterns shimmered in the cathedral square a little way to the north.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441019293, Mass Market Paperback)

View our feature on Oliver Bowden’s Assassin's Creed.

“I will seek vengeance upon those who betrayed my family. I am Ezio Auditore Da Firenze. I am an assassin…”

Betrayed by the ruling families of Italy, a young man embarks upon an epic quest for vengeance. To eradicate corruption and restore his family’s honor, he will learn the art of the Assassins.

Along the way, Ezio will call upon the wisdom of such great minds as Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavello—knowing that survival is bound to the skills by which he must live.

To his allies, he will become a force for change—fighting for freedom and justice. To his enemies, he will become a threat dedicated to the destruction of the tyrants abusing the people of Italy.

So begins an epic story of power, revenge and conspiracy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:54 -0400)

Betrayed by the ruling families of Italy, Ezio vows to exact his revenge and restore his family's honor by using the skills he has learned from such great minds as Da Vinci and Macchiavelli to become a righteous assassin.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,244,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible