You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles…

You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles After the Breakup (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Peter Doggett

Member:JustinTheLibrarian
Title:You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles After the Breakup
Authors:Peter Doggett
Info:Harper (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Music, The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, John Lennon, Yoko Ono, George Martin, Linda McCartney

You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles After the Breakup by Peter Doggett (2009)

What is a times informative, fascinating read into the financial and personal histories of the Beatles post-breakup degrades into a Goldman-esque clobbering of all involved, even when it criticizes Goldman. A reheated souffle. ( )
  bontley | Aug 24, 2013 |
A compelling and insightful book but also sad in so many ways. Doggett vividly chronicles the disintegration of one of the greatest creative partnerships of all time, the fraying of longtime friendships,and the petty bickering over business and personal matters. So many missed opportunities for reunion and making amends. A good book for people like me who are interested in reading this sort of thing. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Quite an interesting read that focuses on the sordid details of The Beatles from 1969 onwards. I found myself glued to the page (or in my case, the Kindle and iPad) awake at an ungodly hour hoping to learn more about "The Threetles" and just how many lawsuits our fab four were involved in (SPOILER: THERE WERE A LOT).

The author hints many times in the book that in the 70's the band were always just a step away from reuniting. However, at the last minute one of them backed out or said something that blew it. It makes you think what would've happened if they did get back together. Would it have lived up to the hype? We'll never know.

As a Beatles fanatic, this book was a great read for me. I was born in 1980 so I missed out on a lot of this stuff. The book really filled in the details for me. ( )
  JustinTheLibrarian | Sep 1, 2010 |
ou Never Give Me Your Money is one of those books that if you pick it up at 9PM you'll find yourself at 2AM fighting to keep your eyes open but refusing to release them from the page. It is definitely essential, required reading for any Beatlemaniac, but be forewarned: Pepperland was one sordid, messed up disaster socially, spiritually, financially and personally.

Dogget's well-researched book covers all the ins and outs of the 1968-70 Beatle breakup does a great job explaining the financial and contractual details and how interpersonal conflict played a part in the McCartney/Eastman vs. Fab 3/Klein split. It then provides a synopsis of the post Beatle careers to the present and of course covering Lennon's assassination.

Dogget's description of the Apple offices awash in marijuana, malt whiskey and maudlin, hippy sensibility are funny in a "Oh I can't believe I'm watching this train wreck sort of way." Clearly, good vibes do not a business make. He is very fair to Yoko, I am pleased to write, although he does not gloss over her own foibles.

I think the greatest eye opener for me was what I'll call the standard amazon.com reviewer "they were only human" escape clause. Yes John, Paul, George and Richard (DON'T call him by his stage name; he hates that) were human. But they were pretty miserable, horrible humans - not just to themselves but to all those around them. I guess one could charitably put it as their fame and celebrity was incredibly damaging to their personalities, and their Beatles phase of their lives was so colossal that it was difficult for them to move forward. Even Harrison, the most "spiritual" Beatle, frequently comes across as a guy who used mantras little more than as a means to avoid responsibility (especially in his personal relations) and eagerly tracked every sterling pound of royalties that came in from sales of "My Sweet Lord."

All of them descended into substance abuse problems, but its Richards transformation into a pathetic drunk and Lennon's (a.k.a. "Johnandyoko") 1969-1973 ***hole antics made me root for the INS to deport him!

Ultimately, I don't believe in this "they were human" escape clause. Dogget makes clear that the various Beatles made very cogent, willing decisions that illustrate little more then their petty selfishness. It reminded me of Jerry Garcia's daughter's simple and devastating eulogy: he was a great musician and a shitty father."

And somehow, despite all, the music DOES transcend, as the book points out. It's a testimony to their phenomenal talent that 4 guys who pretty much loathed each other could still record Abbey Road. ( )
  madcatnip72 | Jun 23, 2010 |
An absorbing, forensically detailed account about the break up of the Beatles and the legal and financial problems which followed. ( )
  andy475uk | Mar 24, 2010 |

Journalist Peter Doggett charts the Shakespearean battles between Lennon and McCartney, the conflict in George Harrison's life between spirituality and fame, and the struggle with alcoholism that threatened to take Richard Starkey's life. This is a compelling human drama and a rich and absorbing story of the Beatles' creative and financial empire, set up to safeguard their interests but destined to control their lives.… (more)

Peter Doggett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible