Murder By the Glass: A Wine Lover's Mystery…

Murder By the Glass: A Wine Lover's Mystery (edition 2006)

by Michele Scott

1093163,124 (3)10
Member:jessit
Title:Murder By the Glass: A Wine Lover's Mystery
Authors:Michele Scott
Info:Berkley (2006), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:**

Murder by the Glass by Michele Scott

This story was chock-full of interesting developments - a murder of the bride directly after the I dos, a romantic triangle with the required amount of misunderstandings, complete confidence in the arrested friend's innocence, dysfunctional family members, and an entertaining resolution.

I wish there was more wine-related material, but it was fun. ( )
  cyderry | Sep 15, 2015 |
Isabel Fernandez is arrested for the murder of her ex-boyfriend's new bride where she is catering the wedding. Her friend Nikki Sands who works for Derek Malveaux's Vineyards is convinced that Isabel didn't do it. Because Isabel was an immigrant, the judge refuses bail. Lots of suspects; lots of revealed secrets; a romantic triangle; a predictable perpetrator. I enjoyed the first in this series much more than this installment.. ( )
  thornton37814 | Sep 4, 2011 |
When winery workers Nikki Sands’ friend Isabel Fernandez, restaurant owner and caterer, is arrested and jailed for the murder of her ex-lover’s new bride – just minutes after they say “I do” -- Nikki is certain she didn’t do it. With some offbeat and dubious sleuthing experience (being raised by her Aunt Cara, a police homicide detective, and acting in a TV cop show that bombed), Nikki sets out to find out who really killed Susan Jennings so Isabel can get out of jail.

Susan was a user – of drugs and people – and Nikki soon has a long list of suspects who had a much better reason to kill the bride than Isabel did. In addition to investigating the murder, Nikki deals with a confused romantic life. She’s drawn to two men: her boss Derek Malveaux and Isabel’s brother Andrés. Nikki has strong feeling for Derek, but he’s a bit aloof and mysterious and Nikki is not sure there’s anything there. The hunky Andrés is certain of his feelings for Nikki and isn’t afraid to say so, but she’s not sure he’s the one for her. Being in her mid-30s, Nikki and finds herself with a sudden and unexpected soft spot for babies and hears her biological clock ticking away in the background.

Billed as a “wine lover’s mystery” Murder by the Glass had the requisite recipes (with wine pairings) although I didn’t care for their placement between chapters, which I thought interfered with the book’s continuity. Considering the book’s heroine works at a winery, there was very little of what she actually DID there. Nikki might as well have worked somewhere else. I also prefer leaner writing than that in Murder by the Glass – I found myself mentally removing verbiage that seemed either redundant or totally unnecessary. Still, it was a strong story line and some good characters. I wish Nikki’s Aunt Cara would have played a role (beyond being mentioned) because she sounded very interesting.

First published in Mystery News, August-September 2006 edition. Used with permission. ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 26, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425210219, Mass Market Paperback)

The poisoning of a Napa Valley bride has oenophile Nikki Sands researching what may have been a killer bottle of wine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:20 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,357,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible