The Iron Wagon: A Novel (Return of the…

The Iron Wagon: A Novel (Return of the Stranger)

by Al Lacy

36None311,154 (2.1)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Other Lacy books I've liked. This one just did not grab me. I plowed through it -- but I don't like when I have to force myself to continue reading. This won't remain on my shelves.
  Bandings | Oct 10, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't like the book. The main character was always telling some fool that if he pulled his gun he was going straight to hell because he was going to die. If that had only happened once it would have been bad enough, but to repeat it over and over was to much. Everybody was riding stallions, if you know anything about horses, you know most cowboys rode geldings, or mares. And in the book there are several mentions of "parking lots" (?) for the horses not corals or hitching posts/rails. I read lots of love Inspired religious fiction, but this book was so over the top and so preachy that it was unreal, and the main character kills multiple people. The first guy he shots in the back!! I find the book offensive on so many levels.
This was an ARC book , and you could not pay me to keep it. ( )
  Pebblesgmc | Sep 24, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
this story is about a young man named paul brockman who follows in his father's footsteps and becomes a U.S. marshal. with wisdom beyond his years and an abundance of courage paul prooves that he can measure up to the legend of his well-known father. paul asks God to send him a woman in which to share his life and while on a mission to transport five evil outlaws to yuma prison, he meets up with Lisa Martin. she accompanies him on the trip to yuma and falls deeply in love with paul. when they return to denver, paul's hometown, they announce their engagement and plan a double wedding with Paul's sister and fiance'. ( )
  mookiekat | Mar 10, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book, according to the back cover, is about Deputy Paul Brockman, who transports some criminals across Arizona and finds love (very abbreviated version). However, Paul does not become a deputy until two-thirds of the way into the book and does not go to Arizona until there are only about 50 pages left. Instead, this book seems to be about the Brockman family and how they win almost everyone they come into contact with to Christ, with only a small portion at the end about Paul's adventure with Lisa.

While some background is commendable, the book seemed to be mostly background with the storyline tagged on at the end. In addition, there seemed to be too many unnecessary adjectives such as "sweet" and "precious" that began to wear on this reader.

I have enjoyed many of Mr. Lacy's books - especially the Mail Order Bride series - but would not recommend this particular book. ( )
  jenvorm | Dec 8, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have tried several times to get through this book. I have read other religious/inspirational based books. I have enjoyed many of them, but this one is so over the top with the preaching and soul saving hero that it gets in the way of any story that it might be trying to tell.
I will continue to try (and I will alter this review if I ever get all the way through it), but for now I can't finish it. I wanted and expected a story, not a collection of sermons, which is what it kind of felt like. ( )
  onyx95 | Nov 28, 2010 |
I very much enjoyed this book! It is the third book in a new series about John "The Stranger" Brockman. This book covers about 8 years in the lives of Brockman and his family. John Brockman is a US Marshall and his wife is a nurse. At the beginning of this story, Beanna (his wife) has been injured and is having to relearn how to walk. Their children are growing up and learning valuable lessons from their parents that will allow them to pursue their dreams.
The characters are well defined and very enjoyable. It is very easy to laugh and cry with them. I am sure if you read this book in context, it would be even more powerful, but it can stand alone.....although it has ME wanting to go out and find the other books in this series so that I can see what is happening in the lives of these people. The gospel story is told in several way on several occasions in this book and is very clear and consise.
I would give this book a 5/5. It is definately worth the read...while you are getting it, pick up the rest in the series!!

Five ruthless outlaws escape Yuma Prison but are soon captured, and Paul must transport them back to Arizona in an iron wagon. During the hazardous journey, Paul encounters Lisa Martin, whose parents were murdered by renegade Indians. The lovely young woman desperately needs his help and Paul is just the deputy to deliver Lisa to her destination. Could she be the answer to his prayers for a wife?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Iron Wagon by Al and Joanna Lacy was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible