The Best Nest by P. D. Eastman

The Best Nest

by P. D. Eastman

This is a wonderful little story (see I am not always harsh when it comes to Children's books) about two birds who decide that they no longer like their old house (or at least the woman doesn't, the man is perfectly happy to sit on top of his house and sing his song all day about how his nest is the best nest) and go on a quest to find a new house. However every house they find is either occupied (by a foot, or some letters) or has hidden traps (such as the steeple tower). What is interesting is that this book, unlike others, has a story to it, and flows like the typical story.
Basically they start off with a goal, and when they think they have achieved that goal something bad happens and Mr Bird is wondering around the town, and at the darkest point in the story the clouds gather and it starts to rain. However, quite by luck, though not to the extent that you would call it a deus ex machina, the problems are solved and everybody ends up living happily ever after.
I guess the theme of this story is that there is no place like home. At the beginning one of them becomes sick of her home and wants something better, however it turns out, at the end, that the best place was actually the place that you originally started from. However the thing that comes down to this realisation is that sometimes you have to lose something because you realise the value of that something in the end. Here it is that the best home was in their original home.
That is not always the case though because I moved 700 km from where I grew up to a new city, and now, on my second visit back to Adelaide this year I have come to realise that I actually miss my new home. Granted I like being around my parents, but I guess I have reached that age (at least with our Anglo-saxon mindset) where I prefer the independence of my new home, and also the friendships that I am beginning to build. However, I suspect that there may have been other reasons above and beyond Mrs Bird's reason for wanting a new home that caused me to move interstate. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Apr 2, 2014 |
The book The Best Nest by P.D Eastman is an entertaining and relatable tale that exemplifies the age old saying “there’s no place like home.” By usage of simplistic dialogue, the story flows smoothly and is an easy read for all ages. Colorful illustrations perfectly pair with the text to make this cute story come to life. This modern fantasy is entertaining for all. ( )
  arodri13 | Mar 25, 2014 |
I gave this story a three out of five stars because it would be a great read for a beginner reader, but it didn't necessarily catch my interest. I can see this book being more of a, "practice" book for readers to refine their reading skills and comprehension.This book is appropriate from kindergarten to first grade. It has a cute story with big and bright illustrations of a bird who wants to find a new nest for his family, but in the end he realized that the best nest was the one he left. In the end the bird proclaimed, "I love my house. I love my nest. In all the world my nest is the best!" This leads to the central message of the story of not taking what you have for granted, and that new isn't always better. ( )
  BeckieZimmerman | Mar 12, 2014 |
This is a book about a family who leaves their nest trying to find a better one, but in the end, their original nest was best. Appropriate for grades K-3.
  ashley19738 | Dec 11, 2013 |
Mrs. Bird hate her next so her and Mr. Bird went to search for a new one. They found one they loved in a church, but when they bell rang it destroyed their nest. They ended up living in their old "perfect" nest. I would use this book as it teaches kids to be happy with what they have instead of always wanting something new. This book would be good for grades pre-k-1.
  hartung_r | Oct 12, 2013 |

Illus. in full color. Mr. and Mrs. Bird's search for a "better" nest leads them to some peculiar spots.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:29 -0400)

Mr. and Mrs. Bird search for a place to build a new nest only to discover their old one is better.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,376,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible