The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar

The Art of Choosing (edition 2011)

by Sheena Iyengar

Member:vancouverdeb
Title:The Art of Choosing
Authors:Sheena Iyengar
Info:Twelve (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:non-fiction, psychology, choices

The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar

English (12)  Finnish (1)  All languages (13)
I got about a quarter of the way through this, but the thing I didn't like was how some of the sections seemed a bit padded out - I wanted the author to get through some of the elementary points more quickly to get on to the interesting stuff. Maybe I'll pick this up again at some future date. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
Sheena Iyengar's award-winning research reveals how and why we choose: whether or not choice is innate or bound by culture, why we sometimes choose against our best interests, and how much control we really have over what we choose.
  AhalyaLiteraryAngels | Nov 27, 2013 |
It is more heavy on insight side about choices, their effects, but when it comes to wisely choose our steps or to offer advice, it chooses not to dwell on that path. ( )
  kushal.gupta | Aug 4, 2013 |
This book, about how we choose, is a good combination of science and interesting stories. Anyone who likes science will probably think this is not really detailed enough, but for the rest of us, it give a really good understanding of the science behind what our brain does when we are faced with a decision. ( )
  buildingabookshelf | May 29, 2012 |
The book is really interesting. I learned a lot about choices and biases, and was quite surprised about the results of some studies. The downside was the feeling that i was readiing a series of articles than a coherent narrative by the author. May be i should read it once more to find that. Also the author was more interested in presenting the dilemmas and how people behaved in those situations rather than giving us some direction for better choices. May be it was author's intention to just present these and leave the conclusions or lessons to the reader. Overall, a good book worth reading. ( )
  sundaraz | Mar 4, 2012 |
What is freedom? Freedom is the right to choose: the right to create for oneself the alternatives of choice. Without the possibility of choice a man is not a man but a member, an instrument, a thing.
—Archibald MacLeish, Pulitzer Prize-winning American poet
To Dad, who told me anything was possible
To Mom, for being there every step of the way
What would you do?

Every day we make choices. Coke or Pepsi? Save or spend? Stay or go?

Whether mundane or life-altering, these choices define us and shape our lives. Sheena Iyengar asks the difficult questions about how and why we choose: Is the desire for choice innate or bound by culture? Why do we sometimes choose against our best interests? How much control do we really have over what we choose? Sheena Iyengar's award-winning research reveals that the answers are surprising and profound. In our world of shifting political and cultural forces, technological revolution, and interconnected commerce, our decisions have far-reaching consequences. Use THE ART OF CHOOSING as your companion and guide for the many challenges ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:39 -0400)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,929,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible