The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar

The Art of Choosing (edition 2011)

by Sheena Iyengar

Member:vancouverdeb
Title:The Art of Choosing
Authors:Sheena Iyengar
Info:Twelve (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:non-fiction, psychology, choices

The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar

English (16)  Finnish (1)  All languages (17)
  Jway | Apr 18, 2016 |
Lot of useful insights and observations in this well written book. Some of them worth quoting. A few years after the fall of the Berlin wall, folks of the erstwhile East Germany were asked if life was better and surprisingly a lot of them pined for the good old days and wanted a return of the communist era, the reason, more choices but no money to avail of them. The constant refrain was, under communism we had more money but did not have a lot of goods to spend it on, whereas now we have all the goods that one can want but no money to buy them.

About scientific management as envisioned by F.W.Taylor. If a man feels that he is worth more and wants to be paid a significantly higher (60%) hourly wage, what should he do and here I quote "Well, if you are a high-priced man, you will do exactly as this man tells you tomorrow, from morning till night. When he tells you to pick up a pig and walk, you pick it up and you walk, and when he tells you to sit down and rest, you sit down. You do that right straight through the day. Adn what's more, not back talk..... Now you come on to work here tomorrow morning and I'll know before night whether you are really a high-priced man or not".
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |

kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
It's a wonderful book on decision theory and a good introduction. I am now ready for a more in-depth book that incorporates game theory and concrete decision strategies. ( )
  John.August.Gronau | Nov 8, 2015 |
I got about a quarter of the way through this, but the thing I didn't like was how some of the sections seemed a bit padded out - I wanted the author to get through some of the elementary points more quickly to get on to the interesting stuff. Maybe I'll pick this up again at some future date. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
What is freedom? Freedom is the right to choose: the right to create for oneself the alternatives of choice. Without the possibility of choice a man is not a man but a member, an instrument, a thing.
—Archibald MacLeish, Pulitzer Prize-winning American poet
To Dad, who told me anything was possible
To Mom, for being there every step of the way
What would you do?

Every day we make choices. Coke or Pepsi? Save or spend? Stay or go?

Whether mundane or life-altering, these choices define us and shape our lives. Sheena Iyengar asks the difficult questions about how and why we choose: Is the desire for choice innate or bound by culture? Why do we sometimes choose against our best interests? How much control do we really have over what we choose? Sheena Iyengar's award-winning research reveals that the answers are surprising and profound. In our world of shifting political and cultural forces, technological revolution, and interconnected commerce, our decisions have far-reaching consequences. Use THE ART OF CHOOSING as your companion and guide for the many challenges ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:01 -0400)

Sheena Iyengar's award-winning research reveals how and why we choose: whether or not choice is innate or bound by culture, why we sometimes choose against our best interests, and how much control we really have over what we choose.

121 wanted2 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,621,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible