Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka

Batwoman: Elegy (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Greg Rucka, JH Williams III (Illustrator)

Member:scott_beeler
Title:Batwoman: Elegy
Authors:Greg Rucka
Other authors:JH Williams III (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2011), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2

Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka (2010)

Promethea, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both feature gorgeous art by J.H. Williams III.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: I enjoyed the back stories in both, seeing how regular people end up as costumed vigilantes.
    The Authority: Relentless by Warren Ellis (MyriadBooks)

This is the first Batwoman story I've ever read and with one minor quibble I was very, very impressed. With one exception I LOVED the art, that one exception is the extreme whiteness of her skin and the extreme red of her mouth. It was constantly distracting and for me detracts from the overall look of the character. I liked how the art styles were different between the past and present story lines though I definitely preferred the art in the present story, it has a very lush and Art Nouveau look to it that I felt worked especially well with the Alice character.
I found the story and mystery very compelling and I definitely want to read more to find out what happens next. This is an excellent book to introduce someone to the Batwoman character. ( )
  Kellswitch | May 10, 2014 |
A cracking deeper introduction to a character I'd only previously encountered in a supporting role, this fast-paced book took me from "Who is this person?" to "Holy balls, Kate Kane kicks arse!" in short order. The art is amazing - though there were a few distracting nipples early on, considering her suit is meant to be bullet-proof - and the script sizzles. Relationships are drawn, defined and destroyed in pages, with more emotional impact than some TV shows manage in an entire series. This is not a detective story, it's a war story, and one about loss and revenge. I want to read more about Kate Kane. ( )
  labcoatman | Feb 6, 2014 |
I first read Greg Rucka's stint on Batwoman in the Detective Comics #854-860, and I was truly excited to get it collected in this graphic novel. Because, like everyone else, I was truly impressed by the sheer originality and versatility in the art by J.H. Williams III, together with the beautiful coloring by Dave Stewart. Furthermore, I became in love with the thought-provoking take on the Batwoman character as written by Greg Rucka (hands down!). His storytelling is so rich with detail and humanity that, in turn, makes Batwoman so utterly likable and relatable due to her personality. In making the Batwoman lesbian (and giving her that cool and retro-rockabilly look as well), he truly scored with the realism which can be a rarity in superhero comics. In truth, Rucka understands female characters and I look so much forward to seeing more female creations from him. However, like everyone else, I was quite saddened when I heard that he would not continue on the Batwoman title, but would do creator-owned work. Something I can understand and support.

If you want to read one of the essential and most brilliant comic books to come out this year, then this is a must read.
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. The story, the genesis of the character, the absolutely exquisite artwork. This really is one of my favorite graphic novels ever. Kate Kane has the intensity, strength, drive and darkness to be a hero in Gotham and she is a character who is likely to be held in great affection by female readers encountering their first female superhero. I wish could be a teenager again and have this be my first foray into graphic novels - I would be giddy with glee (mind you, Death in the Family made a pretty huge impression of its own).

Great read. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was the first GN I had read about Batwoman. I enjoyed the strong character (former marine with a tragic past) and the storyline involving her twin sister. ( )
  District13 | Feb 13, 2013 |

Greg Ruckaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, J. H., IIIIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maddow, RachelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uff huff uff uff uff

Kate Kane transforms herself into Batwoman and battles a madwoman who calls herself Alice, after the character Alice in Wonderland, and thinks that everyone in Gotham is expendable in the fairy tale she has created.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible