Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka

Batwoman: Elegy (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Greg Rucka, J. H. Williams III (Illustrator)

Member:scott_beeler
Title:Batwoman: Elegy
Authors:Greg Rucka (Author)
Other authors:J. H. Williams III (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2011), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2

Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka (2010)

Promethea, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both feature gorgeous art by J.H. Williams III.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: I enjoyed the back stories in both, seeing how regular people end up as costumed vigilantes.
    The Authority: Relentless by Warren Ellis (MyriadBooks)

Interesting origin with twists, I love her relationship with her father, but her skin is very strange. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 1, 2016 |
Gorgeous art, a fantastic, kick-ass protagonist, good writing. I'm a fan! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
BATWOMAN: ELEGY, written by Greg Rucka and illustrated by the fabulously talented J. H. Williams III, collects Detective Comics #854-#860 in one volume. It is the story of Batwoman’s battle with Alice, the High Madame, in protecting Gotham from Alice’s evil plot. Also included is the back-story of Kate’s growing up, her coming out at West Point and to her father, Colonel Kane, and the origins of her career as Batwoman. All of this is in one trade paperback!
Alice, the Lewis Carroll-quoting villain, not only has Gotham on the edge of destruction, she also has a secret for Kate.
I was a little confused sometimes when Alice would speak – apparently I’m not up to snuff on the story of Alice in Wonderland, even though I read the book six years ago. Not a big deal, the story is understandable and of course, the artwork is OUTSTANDING! I’m a huge fan of J. H. Williams III’s work. His detailing in this volume is, as always, amazing and the characterizing is powerful. You know exactly how the individuals are feeling.
I loved this collection and highly recommend it for others who enjoy graphic novels!
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that original Batwoman kind of maybe sucked a little bit. Not as strong as Batman mentally or physically and really only introduced as a love interest for Batman to dispel accusations of inappropriate relations between Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne. Eventually forced into retirement by Batman when Batman and Detective Comics sales flagged. Well this Kate Kane is kick completely kick butt. I love the toughness of her character and the art style in this book almost made me drool, even though sometimes I had trouble following the panels. The story had a great twist and I would love to see more from this Batwoman. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Greg Ruckaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, J. H., IIIIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maddow, RachelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uff huff uff uff uff

Kate Kane transforms herself into Batwoman and battles a madwoman who calls herself Alice, after the character Alice in Wonderland, and thinks that everyone in Gotham is expendable in the fairy tale she has created.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,367,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible