The Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver

The Burning Wire (2010)

by Jeffery Deaver

Series: Lincoln Rhyme (9)

English (43)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (46)
Lincoln Rhymes is a quadriplegic criminalist who lives in his mind once again matching wits with his nemesis, The Watchmaker. There is also a perpetrator attempting to bring an electrical company to its knees using electricity and arc flashes as his weapon of choice (particularly frightening when one considers that he attacks at random and his weapon (electricity) is in every home, office and commercial building). Added to the mix are some fairly interesting secondary characters like FBI agent Fred Dellray and inventor Charlie Sommers. Unfortunately, the story is cluttered with a plethora of peripheral information that inhibits its flow. Subjects like the electrical system in New York City, the use of regional grids, the symptoms and treatment of autonomic dysreflexia associated with spinal cord injuries, the pros and cons of "green energy", not to mention the repeated and never-ending practice of "walking the grid" and reviewing of evidence. Granted, little background information is always helpful, but Mr. Deaver has taken it to the extreme. After reading this book I could probably re-wire my house plus give a half way decent presentation on the care of spinal cord injury patients and the various treatments available to them.

Please Mr. Deaver in the future please give us more story and less instructional "filler". 3 stars because it had a promising storyline. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Having just finished this book, I have far more knowledge of electricity than I ever needed or wanted. However, it isn't a bad little thriller, with quite a few twists and turns, as the goodies race against time to stop the baddies from killing any more New Yorkers using their weapon of choice - electricity. One thing I did find interesting was that the hero, brilliant criminologist, Lincoln Rhyme, is a quadriplegic with minimal usage of his right hand. With "The Burning Wire" being the ninth book in the Lincoln Rhyme series, I never found out how he became a quadriplegic which I found a bit frustrating nor did I fully understand his relationship with police detective, Amelia Sachs. I think I'll have to read the first few books in the series. However, I do have a new respect for my hair-dryer having learned that it runs on 10 amps of electricity and it only takes half an amp to kill a person! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
exciting read and great twist! ( )
  yonitdm | Dec 10, 2015 |
exciting read and great twist! ( )
  yonitdm | Dec 10, 2015 |
It's been a while since I've really enjoyed the Lincoln Rhyme series. With the last 3, I seriously saw the plot twists coming way ahead and that hadn't usually been the case with Jeffrey Deaver.

The latest Rhyme/Sachs novel really captured my interest and attention, with the sick serial murderer using electricity and the electrical grid serving New York City as his weapon of choice. As with all the Rhyme series, there was much that was educational about The Burning Wire: I learned tons about electricity and wires and some about how NYC gets the electricity all its folks and services need.

It was good, again, to see all the characters from previous books, and with each book, they grow on the reader as we get to know them better.

Reading this book made me want to meet Lincoln Rhyme again for the first time. I am reading The Bone Collector again. ( )
  cjazzlee | Nov 13, 2015 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baiocchi, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tagliavini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Hell, there are no rules here. We're trying to accomplish something."
--Thomas Alva Edison, on creating
the first electric grid
For editor extraordinaire, Marysue Rucci
Sitting in the control center of Algonquin Consolidated Power and Light's sprawling complex on the East River in Queens, New York, the morning supervisor frowned at the pulsing red words on his computer screen.

Lincoln Rhyme is back, on the trail of a killer whose weapon of choice cripples New York City with fear.

The weapon is invisible and omnipresent. Without it, modern society grinds to a halt. It is the electrical grid. The killer harnesses and steers huge arc flashes with voltage so high, and heat so searing, that steel melts and his victims are set afire, or subtly reconnects a few wires in one's house or office so that the bathtub, the sink, the computer keyboard, the simple desk lamp can kill.

When the first horrific attack occurs in broad daylight, reducing a city bus to a pile of molten, shrapnel-riddled metal, officials fear terrorism. Rhyme, a world-class forensic criminologist known for his successful apprehension of the most devious criminals, is immediately tapped for the investigation. Long a quadriplegic, he assembles NYPD detective Amelia Sachs and officer Ron Pulaski as his eyes and ears and legs on crime sites, and FBI agent Fred Dellray as his undercover man on the street. As the attacks continue across the city at a sickening pace, and terrifying demand letters begin appearing, the team works desperately against time and with maddeningly little forensic evidence to try to find the killer. Or is it killers....?

Meanwhile, Rhyme is consulting on another high-profile investigation in Mexico with a most coveted quarry in his cross-hairs: the hired killer known as the Watchmaker, one of the few criminals to have eluded Rhyme's net.

Juggling two massive investigations against a cruel ticking clock takes a toll on Rhyme's health. Soon Rhyme is fighting on yet another front -- and his determination to work despite his physical limitations threatens to drive away his closest allies when he needs them most.

Quadriplegic forensic criminologist Lincoln Rhyme leads his team--NYPD detective Amelia Sachs, officer Ron Pulaski, and FBI agent Fred Dellray--to find and stop a killer who uses electricity as modus operandi. Meanwhile, Rhyme is consulting on another high-profile investigation in Mexico with a most coveted quarry in his crosshairs: the hired killer known as the Watchmaker, one of the few criminals to have eluded Rhyme's net.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible