St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves…

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves (2006)

by Karen Russell

Let me say straight out that I love Karen Russell’s use of language and her knack for creating these magical tales. St Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves is full of inventive and fun stories. Whether her characters are wrestling alligators or navigating giant conch shells or awkwardly watching women in Yeti costumes skate on ice with orangutans, it is easy to enjoy the imaginative images and play.

Initially, I loved this collection, but the further along I got into it, the more it became a chore to read. Yes, it’s whimsical and entertaining, but strip that away and there’s not much left. Most of the characters lack depth. The stories largely center around a similar moment of epiphany for our protagonists. And is it just me, but are most of these stories really about sex? (and if not, what does that say about me?) Frankly, I grew tired of the formula.

So I’d definitely read Karen Russell’s work again, but maybe something with a larger scope. I could’ve liked these stories had they been developed more, but as they stand, I thought they were just okay. ( )
  chrisblocker | Oct 17, 2014 |
This book was original, and funny and poignant and great. The stories were like nothing I've ever read in their (sort of) magical realism. I usually don't make a point of reading short stories, but this was our September pick for book club, and I couldn't put it down. I woke up an hour early this morning so I could make sure I finished it for the meeting tonight. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
Though many of these short stories make promises they don't keep (fantastic exposition / character development that ultimately falls short with a premature ending) their sheer innovative power is more than enough to make up for this shortcoming. The topics which preoccupy Russell (family relationships, adolescence, alienation, and grotesqueries of all kinds) are compelling even as she re-figures them in a number of ways. ( )
  milkyfangs | Jun 27, 2014 |
Narrated by strange, quiet children and nestled deep in the mystique of the Everglades, Karen Russell’s stories are unnerving, darkly funny, and immensely enjoyable. Their standard recipe takes a common coming-of-age theme—“my parents are lunatics,” “death is part of life,” “growing up is hard”—folds it into a surreal situation—“my dad is a Minotaur,” “I am trapped in a giant conch shell with a janitor,” “my 14 sisters and I were raised by werewolves and now nuns are trying to prepare us for life in polite society”—and tops it off with superb, efficient sentences.

Karen Russellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carson, Carol DevineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, VirginiaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom, Dad, Lauren, and Kent

A San Francisco Chronicle, Los Angeles Times, and Chicago Tribune Best Book of the Year

In these ten glittering stories, debut author Karen Russell takes us to the ghostly and magical swamps of the Florida Everglades. Here wolf-like girls are reformed by nuns, a family makes their living wrestling alligators in a theme park, and little girls sail away on crab shells. Filled with stunning inventiveness and heart, St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves introduces a radiant new writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:32 -0400)

In these ten stories, Karen Russell takes us to the ghostly and magical swamps of the Florida Everglades. Here wolflike girls are reformed by nuns, a family makes their living wrestling alligators in a theme park, and little girls sail away on crab shells.… (more)

577 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible