St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves…

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves (2006)

by Karen Russell

Recently added byXickie, private library, abbeyhar

This book was original, and funny and poignant and great. The stories were like nothing I've ever read in their (sort of) magical realism. I usually don't make a point of reading short stories, but this was our September pick for book club, and I couldn't put it down. I woke up an hour early this morning so I could make sure I finished it for the meeting tonight. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
Though many of these short stories make promises they don't keep (fantastic exposition / character development that ultimately falls short with a premature ending) their sheer innovative power is more than enough to make up for this shortcoming. The topics which preoccupy Russell (family relationships, adolescence, alienation, and grotesqueries of all kinds) are compelling even as she re-figures them in a number of ways. ( )
  milkyfangs | Jun 27, 2014 |
Every piece in this book is inventive, imaginative and energetic. But not every piece in this book feels like a short story.

The fault is partially that it begins with "Ava Wrestles the Alligator," which has subsequently been expanded into the excellent novel Swamplandia! Because I read Swamplandia! before the story, it felt more like a fragment. That impression cast itself over many, but not all, of the other pieces in the book.

But there is no short changing Russell's imagination. Most of the stories take place in island vacation spots, often featuring attractions that range from the more realistic (alligator wrestling) to the more imaginative (sledding on giant crab shells, a blizzard-filled skating rink, and a set of giant conches likened to Easter Island).

A few of the stories feature a combination of mythical and human, like the human daughter of a minotaur who used to work in rodeos and the girls raised by werewolves featured in the title story ("Our pack grew up in a green purgatory. We couldn't keep up with the purebred wolves, but we never stopped crawling. We spoke a slab-tonged pidgin in the cave, inflected with frequent howls. Our parents wanted something better for us; they wanted us to get braces, use towels, be fully bilingual.")

Nearly all of the stories are told in the first person from the perspective of a child (as many of them boys as girls), generally a coming of age story of a precocious, nearly-feral child. The child often has the run of whatever place is being described, in many cases with distant parents, step parents, or even no parents, but still has not mastered their surroundings.

My three favorites were "Haunting Olivia", "the Star-Gazer's Log of Summer-Time Crime" and "The City of Shells", although all of them were enjoyable and worthwhile reading. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Narrated by strange, quiet children and nestled deep in the mystique of the Everglades, Karen Russell’s stories are unnerving, darkly funny, and immensely enjoyable. Their standard recipe takes a common coming-of-age theme—“my parents are lunatics,” “death is part of life,” “growing up is hard”—folds it into a surreal situation—“my dad is a Minotaur,” “I am trapped in a giant conch shell with a janitor,” “my 14 sisters and I were raised by werewolves and now nuns are trying to prepare us for life in polite society”—and tops it off with superb, efficient sentences.

Karen Russellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carson, Carol DevineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, VirginiaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom, Dad, Lauren, and Kent

A San Francisco Chronicle, Los Angeles Times, and Chicago Tribune Best Book of the Year

In these ten glittering stories, debut author Karen Russell takes us to the ghostly and magical swamps of the Florida Everglades. Here wolf-like girls are reformed by nuns, a family makes their living wrestling alligators in a theme park, and little girls sail away on crab shells. Filled with stunning inventiveness and heart, St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves introduces a radiant new writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:32 -0400)

In these ten stories, Karen Russell takes us to the ghostly and magical swamps of the Florida Everglades. Here wolflike girls are reformed by nuns, a family makes their living wrestling alligators in a theme park, and little girls sail away on crab shells.… (more)

577 wanted3 pay2 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible