dismiss

13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale by Shannon…

13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale (edition 2010)

by Shannon Delany (Author)

Everything about Jessie Gillmansen's life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing. Mysterious dark things are happening. All she wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she's about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent--he's a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie's small town.… (more)
Member:Rempala
Title:13 to Life: A Werewolf's Tale
Authors:Shannon Delany (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: 1, 320 pages
Collections:2019

13 to Life by Shannon Delany

Recently added byrena75, hixxup79, hivetrick, Nany.Diaz

I want to preface this review with a statement: A lot of people seem to really not like this book. I guess I can see why, but I did enjoy it.

Plot: 3/5
Even though it was obvious throughout the entire book to anyone who wasn’t an idiot that Pietr was a werewolf and yet the MC remained clueless, I did enjoy what went on here.
So, plotwise, there wasn’t anything over-arching, in that this book felt very episodic. Like, something happened in each chapter, but nothing happened through out the book. That sounds really bad, but it’s not.
There was a lot of mysteries that were unraveled. Like ‘what happened in June’. And there was some stuff about werewolves the Russian mafia. I think we’ll go deeper into that in future books.

Characters: 3.5/5
Pietr: Okay, so, I recently starting watching this TV show called Heroes. One of the Main Characters is named Peter. He’s also my newest fictiona boyfriend. So when we met Pietr in this book and his name was spelled Peter, he had, like, ten points on arrival because of my new Hero BF Peter. And then he just continued racking in the points.
Jess: Okay, I just have to address her cluelessness here. With most characters, I would at least understand such cluelessness. But Jess is a fellow reader. She reads books similar to the one she stars in. SHE SHOULD’VE RECOGNIED THE SIGNS. I don’t care if she reads more vamps than weres, if you’ve read vamp books, there have inevitably been weres in them, and SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SO STUPID.
Besides that, I did enjoy her voice and her as a character. There was one ine that I reall liked:
Jess and Pietr are talking. Jess asks Pietr what he wants. Pietr say “Understanding.”
Jess says: “Your accents not bad at all. I’m sure plenty of people understand you.”

That is the general gist of the quote, but I Jess’s response, because, oh, the wit! I love me some wit.
Amy: Again, a TV character influenced my initial reaction to her. Along with watching Heroes, I’ve been re-watching Buffy, and I’m at season six, right about when Willow was able to Amy Madison back from being a rat (Don’t worry if you haven't seen Buffy, that’s no a big or important spoiler) And I’ve always like Amy Madison, and that did give Amy some points on arrival. She gathered some more as the book continued, but not as many as Pietr.
Sarah: I’m pretty sure Sarah is my favorite character at this point. I don’t believe it’s any secret that I like villains, and to me, it feels like Sarah’s being set up to become a villain, and I really like the way it’s being done.
Annabelle Lee: is Jess’s little sister. And EVERY TIME Jess talks to her, she addresses her as ‘Annabelle Lee.’ No way any real person I would know would call a sibling ‘Annabelle Lee’. There are too many syllables there. I ended up shortening it to Anna, because who has time to think out Annabelle Lee whenever she enters a scene?
Derek: I really hope something happens with him in future books to make it plain that he was NOT just there to create pointless drama. For instance, I would not be opposed to him being: an FBI agent, a member of the Russian Mafia, a vampire, a werewolf, one of the more main characters long-lost brother, etc.

The Romance: 4/5
As I said, Pietr just kept on racking in the points as it went on, and I liked the way he and Jess interacted.

10.5/15
Okay, I know that looks like a C (not that I bothered to do math or anything), but this book was actually B quality.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This was a re-read for me. I read this book when it first came out. I couldn’t remember what happened in it, just that I really liked it. Now that I’ve read it again, I can say that I still enjoyed it, but I had to drop it down to three stars because I wanted to smack the main character pretty much the entire time I was reading.

My biggest problem with this book is the fact that Jessie and Pietr like each other, but Jessie says she can’t be with him because Sarah likes him and she can’t do that to her friend. Yet she doesn’t seem to have any problem kissing him behind her friends back every single chance she gets.

That is pretty much my only real complaint about this book. I enjoyed everything else and I’m looking forward to finally reading the next book in the series, Secrets and Shadows. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Mar 6, 2018 |
Slow to start but what a finish! Holy cow! I bit my lip in angst as I was coming to the end, knowing I was going to be left wanting more, and I was bloody right! Ugh.

The beginning started off very [b:Vampire Kisses|263147|Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)|Ellen Schreiber|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PZ8ZQV9NL._SL75_.jpg|255085] with a hint of [b:The Awakening|395922|The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)|L.J. Smith|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266542802s/395922.jpg|1659113], and I worried it was gonna get ugly despite the high praise it's received by many all ready but thankfully it didn't descend into to dull, wishy washy YA drivel. It was smart and understanding albeit slightly confusing until the tidal wave of a big reveal, then all of those hints and comments made a whole lot more sense.

Jessica is a good person, so good it hurts her. She's a saint-turned-martyr as Amy says. I loved my namesake. She was forthright and didn't hesitate to rip right into her BFF to get her to see the truth of things concerning Sarah and Sarah's struggle to remain new-kind-Sarah who's slipping back into pre-amnesia-old-and-very-mean-Sarah. Once you learn of Pietr's real situation you can't help but sympathise with him. His actions take on a whole new meaning when you realise what he's facing.

The question "what's next?" is hanging over the heads of the characters, most of whom have suffered through so much. Jessica and her family (especially her father) are the ones I'm worried about. Jessica has so many reasons to feel guilty, I just know she's going to be beating herself her up over her actions.

I don't know too much about this series but it has the feel of a trilogy about it, one that I eager to continue. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This book had an interesting premise, an uneven execution, and a rushed, cliff-hanger ending. I was worried that book 2 would revolve around a Heathers-esque, psychotic friend, but the last chapter hurridly added some other elements to the plot. Will definitely pick up book 2. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
A new boy, Pietr, comes to her small town and Jessie is the one who is chosen to guide him around the school. She soons realizes that he is different than the other kids. He is a werewolf. She has always had a crush on the football hero, Derek, but she finds herself falling for Pietr. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 5, 2013 |
Dedicated to my mother, Cecile Plott Reinbold, and bold and humble women like her everywhere. Cancer may have stolen your life, but it could never dim your spirit. Your strength, wit, faith, and courage in the face of adversity inspired me.
Then. Now. And Always.
Rio stiffened beneath my touch, striking a glossy hoof against the floor.

"What, girl?" I asked, still fighting the tangle that snarled her ebony mane. She snorted, nostrils turning the red of fresh blood.

Something strange is stalking the small town of Junction...

When junior Jess Gillmansen gets called out of class by Guidance, she can only presume it’s for one of two reasons. Either they’ve finally figured out who wrote the scathing anti-jock editorial in the school newspaper or they’re hosting yet another intervention for her about her mom. Although far from expecting it, she’s relieved to discover Guidance just wants her to show a new student around—but he comes with issues of his own including a police escort.

The newest member of Junction High, Pietr Rusakova has secrets to hide--secrets that will bring big trouble to the small town of Junction—secrets including dramatic changes he’s undergoing that will surely end his life early.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shannon Delany's book 13 to Life was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Shannon Delany is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,649,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible