13 to Life by Shannon Delany

13 to Life (edition 2010)

by Shannon Delany

Member:TheReaderBee
Title:13 to Life
Authors:Shannon Delany
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read

13 to Life by Shannon Delany

Slow to start but what a finish! Holy cow! I bit my lip in angst as I was coming to the end, knowing I was going to be left wanting more, and I was bloody right! Ugh.

The beginning started off very [b:Vampire Kisses|263147|Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)|Ellen Schreiber|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PZ8ZQV9NL._SL75_.jpg|255085] with a hint of [b:The Awakening|395922|The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)|L.J. Smith|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266542802s/395922.jpg|1659113], and I worried it was gonna get ugly despite the high praise it's received by many all ready but thankfully it didn't descend into to dull, wishy washy YA drivel. It was smart and understanding albeit slightly confusing until the tidal wave of a big reveal, then all of those hints and comments made a whole lot more sense.

Jessica is a good person, so good it hurts her. She's a saint-turned-martyr as Amy says. I loved my namesake. She was forthright and didn't hesitate to rip right into her BFF to get her to see the truth of things concerning Sarah and Sarah's struggle to remain new-kind-Sarah who's slipping back into pre-amnesia-old-and-very-mean-Sarah. Once you learn of Pietr's real situation you can't help but sympathise with him. His actions take on a whole new meaning when you realise what he's facing.

The question "what's next?" is hanging over the heads of the characters, most of whom have suffered through so much. Jessica and her family (especially her father) are the ones I'm worried about. Jessica has so many reasons to feel guilty, I just know she's going to be beating herself her up over her actions.

I don't know too much about this series but it has the feel of a trilogy about it, one that I eager to continue. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This book had an interesting premise, an uneven execution, and a rushed, cliff-hanger ending. I was worried that book 2 would revolve around a Heathers-esque, psychotic friend, but the last chapter hurridly added some other elements to the plot. Will definitely pick up book 2. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
A new boy, Pietr, comes to her small town and Jessie is the one who is chosen to guide him around the school. She soons realizes that he is different than the other kids. He is a werewolf. She has always had a crush on the football hero, Derek, but she finds herself falling for Pietr. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 5, 2013 |
I’d been meaning to read 13 to Life for so long, I kept seeing people mention it and it seemed like I was one of the few that hadn’t read it yet lol. I finally got around to it though and for the most part I liked it.

The writing itself was well done and I loved the foreshadowing in the beginning, it built up the curiosity a bit and kept me wondering. But the twists in the plot towards the end kind of lost me, I can’t really go into detail because it would give away spoilers and if there’s anyone who hasn’t read it I’d hate to ruin it for them. But I’ll just say that it came off a bit… unbelievable I guess, bordering on cheesy. But that may just be my opinion. *shrugs*

As for the characters, I loved Pietr. He was really likable, genuinely sweet, kind, and protective, and not to mention swoon worthy lol. Jessie was a really likable character and I liked the fact that she didn’t give in and pull the tragedy card even though she easily could have and at times it seemed that was what people expected her to do, I think that showed her strength as a person. Although I do have to say I didn’t get the whole martyr thing, especially since the person she kept sacrificing for was a royal b*tch. Sarah, (the afore mentioned b*tch) Is one character I didn’t like in the books, she pretends to be all innocent but you can tell there’s evil lurking under the surface with her and I personally can’t wait to see her get what’s coming to her.

Overall I enjoyed the book, it was a quick read and kept me interested until the end and there were some good action parts in it. I’ve actually just started reading the second book, although, I’m still not totally sure how well I like the plot twist but I’m hoping it’ll play out well and still be engaging. This one was average for me, not outstanding, but not bad either. ( )
  Taylor_Alyse | May 27, 2012 |
I read a lot of YA and I really enjoy the YA Paranormal novels. This one didn't work for me on many different levels. The story is about a grieving girl, Jessica, who is dealing with her mother's death. She takes on a great deal of responsibility in her family. When Pieter starts attending her school, Jessica is given the job of being his guide. He immediately ticks her off and thus begins a brief love-hate relationship. The book is very slow to get going. Only in the last fourth of this book does anything important begin to happen. Jessica also wins a nomination at least for the TSTL (too stupid to live) character of the year. She loves reading paranormal books about vampires and is up on her werewolf lore as she has studied a major case of a bizaree wolf attack in Farthington, where Pieter is from. Pieter is sniffing clothes, using his sniffer to find people, being attacked randomly by dogs and much more and TSTL Jessica can't figure out he is werewolf. At one point Pieter says "I'm a werewolf" and Jessica is like, "Stop Playing Pieter". Ugh, this made me frustrated to no end.

I was also annoyed that Jessica pushes Pieter into a relationship with her crazy 'best' friend and then the two of the sneak make out sessions and whispers of love. Anyone with an eye can see they are hot for each other and that they keep playing like there is nothing between them publicly was just really silly. I did like the little bits of history that we found out about Pieter's family and their past. I enjoyed that the story was about a family of werewolves but I was caught off guard by the mafia connections and struggled to make sense of some of these.

What can make a book most successful in my mind is having developed, endearing characters and a well thought out plot with some twists and turns. 13 to Life had neither.

Certainly there are worse books out there, but this one just didn't work for me. The content if fairly clean and I wonder if it might work better for the pre-teen market. ( )
  pacey1927 | May 13, 2012 |
Dedicated to my mother, Cecile Plott Reinbold, and bold and humble women like her everywhere. Cancer may have stolen your life, but it could never dim your spirit. Your strength, wit, faith, and courage in the face of adversity inspired me.
Then. Now. And Always.
Rio stiffened beneath my touch, striking a glossy hoof against the floor.

"What, girl?" I asked, still fighting the tangle that snarled her ebony mane. She snorted, nostrils turning the red of fresh blood.

Something strange is stalking the small town of Junction...

When junior Jess Gillmansen gets called out of class by Guidance, she can only presume it’s for one of two reasons. Either they’ve finally figured out who wrote the scathing anti-jock editorial in the school newspaper or they’re hosting yet another intervention for her about her mom. Although far from expecting it, she’s relieved to discover Guidance just wants her to show a new student around—but he comes with issues of his own including a police escort.

The newest member of Junction High, Pietr Rusakova has secrets to hide--secrets that will bring big trouble to the small town of Junction—secrets including dramatic changes he’s undergoing that will surely end his life early.

Everything about Jessie Gillmansen's life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing. Mysterious dark things are happening. All she wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she's about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent--he's a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie's small town.… (more)

Shannon Delany is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

13 to Life by Shannon Delany was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible