Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Fall of Giants (edition 2010)

by Ken Follett

4,902229938 (4)146
Member:divio
Title:Fall of Giants
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:MacMillan (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 864 pages

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

English (197)  Spanish (10)  French (5)  Italian (5)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Japanese (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (228)
I enjoyed this book. It had the same narrator as the other books. If you are a WWI history buff, you will enjoy it more than I. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the culture of the times surrounding the different levels of society. The characters are vivid! Very easy to imagine. Where I lost interest was the details surrounding the war itself. there was sufficient information to write a term paper on the subject. Some of the characters needed to be included for history sake but only lent to overkill for me. Too many names that were not important to the plot. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Feb 20, 2017 |
2.5 stars but I always round up

I gave up at the halfway mark but at 960 pages, I made it through 480 pages before giving up. It's just not my cup of tea. I recently watched a documentary series, Apocalypse WWI, that was much more fascinating and informative than this fictionalized account with stereotypical characters inserted into history. I think I'll stick to NF for history. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I didn't think this book would be my cup of tea; I thought it would be too dry and dense with historical facts that sucked the life out of a story, but I really enjoyed this romp across Europe up to and including the first World War. Follett keeps the story ticking along and moving and I had the added side benefit of reading this while my son was devouring everything he could read on World War I, and so we were able to compare notes. Looking forward to grabbing the next in the series. ( )
  mhanlon | Jan 26, 2017 |
Fall of Giants is an epic novel which illuminates how war changes people's lives and futures, using compelling storytelling. Five families are used to characterize the gripping tales of the ordinary as well as the affluent. Real historical events are magnificently weaved into this historical fiction, and the reader is drawn in to watch the event alongside the character. Follett dramatizes the changes people go through using juicy plots, heineous spies, sordid affairs and more. An excellent last scene, Maude and Walter, in bed reading the paper, and famous last words,"Thank God that's over." Yes this is a long novel but worth the time spent. You will wish there to be more. . . ( )
  ElisabethZguta | Jan 23, 2017 |
This is a decent story but I was disappointed in the writing. My first Follet book didn't leave me wishing to read more of this author. I slogged through the book because a friend gave it to me, thinking I would like it because I like historical fiction. Some of the story was exceedingly hard for me to get through; I found it boring and slow, overly wordy and, well, slogging. The story seemed to have better written parts interspersed with poorly written parts. Overall, the story was flat due to the writing style.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. It's long and could have been a vibrant story but it just isn't. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Trotz peinlicher Sexszenen auf Groschenromanniveau und wie Untertassen dahinfliegender Dialoge: Ken Folletts neuer Roman ist gut recherchiert und freundlich-sozialdemokratisch - einer Verfilmung im Öffentlich-Rechtlichen steht nichts im Weg.

Die Aufteilung von erfundenen Schicksalen und weltgeschichtlich verbürgten Ereignissen löst Follett perfekt.
added by lophuels | editFocus, Jobst-Ulrich Brand (Oct 12, 2010)

Overall, Follett is ­masterly in conveying so much drama and historical information so vividly. He puts to good use the professional skills he has honed over the years — giving his characters a conversational style neither pseudo-quaint nor jarringly contemporary. That works well. And for all his belief in the redemptive quality of liberal humanism, he makes sure not to endow his characters with excessively modern sensibilities. As for the occasional cliché — well, unless you’re Tolstoy, you’re not going to have the time or the ability to be original throughout your 1,000-page blockbuster. Ken Follett is no Tolstoy, but he is a tireless storyteller, and although his tale has flaws, it’s grippingly told, and readable to the end.
added by lophuels | editNew York Times, Roger Boylan (Sep 30, 2010)

Despite all this, "Fall of Giants" offers pleasures that more than compensate for its lack of literary finesse. Follett may not be Tolstoy, but he knows how to tell a compelling, well-constructed story. Once its basic elements are in place, the narrative acquires a cumulative, deceptively effortless momentum.

La caída de los gigantes sumerge al lector en una historia cargada de épica. Ésta primera novela, que forma parte de una trilogía, sigue los destinos de cinco familias diferentes a lo largo y ancho del mundo. Desde América a Alemania, Rusia, Inglaterra y Gales, Follet sigue la evolución de sus personajes a través de la Primera Guerra Mundial, la Revolución Rusa y las primeras luchas por los derechos de la mujer.

Como siempre, Follet pone un especial interés por su tierra natal, Gales, al comenzar con la historia de Billy Williams, un sencillo minero; en América encontramos a Gus Dewar, un estudiante de derecho con el corazón partido por un desengaño amoroso. En Rusia, dos hermanos huérfanos, Grigori y Lev se ven en medio de una revolución que trastoca sus vidas y acaba por separar sus caminos. Como nudo entre las historias encontramos a la hermana de Williams, quien trabaja en Inglaterra como ama de llaves de Lady Fitzherbert, enamorada de un espía alemán, Walter von Ulrich.

Poco a poco estos personajes irán encontrándose a medida que la inmensa maquinaria creada por Follet avance, tan deprisa y violenta como el principio del siglo XX en el que se ven inmersos.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Follett, Kenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
AnuvelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mas, ElisendaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my parents, Martin and Veenie Follett.
On the day King George V was crowned at Westminster Abbey in London, Billy Williams went down the pit in Aberowen, South Wales.

In 1911 verandert de wereld voorgoed. Arbeiders laten zich niet langer onderdrukken, vrouwen eisen hun rechten op, de rijke aristocratie kan haar macht niet langer handhaven. En overal fluisteren diplomaten elkaar woorden in die het lot van miljoenen mensen over de hele wereld zullen veranderen.Aan de vooravond van de Eerste Wereldoorlog proberen acht mensen hun weg in deze roerige wereld te vinden: Gus Dewar, rechterhand van de Amerikaanse president; Lev en Grigori Pesjkov, twee arme Russische broers op zoek naar een beter leven; mijnwerker Billy Williams en zijn ambitieuze zus Ethel, huishoudster van de vermogende graaf Fitzherbert; de vrijzinnige lady Maud en haar geliefde, de Duitse diplomaat Walter von Ulrich.Terwijl hun levens elkaar kruisen, dragen deze mensen ieder op hun eigen manier bij aan een titanenstrijd die zijn weerga niet kent… Met Val der titanen, het eerste deel in de Century-trilogie, staat Ken Follett garant voor levensechte personages, een feilloos historisch decor en een onvergetelijke leeservaring.
***************

A thirteen-year-old Welsh boy enters a man's world in the mining pits; an American law student rejected by love finds a surprising new career in Woodrow Wilson's White House; a housekeeper for the aristocratic Fitzherberts takes a fateful step above her station, while Lady Maud Fitzherbert herself crosses deep into forbidden territory when she falls in love with a German spy; and two orphaned Russian brothers embark on radically different paths when their plan to emigrate to America falls afoul of war, conscription, and revolution.

From the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty, Fall of Giants takes readers into the inextricably entangled fates of five families-and into a century that we thought we knew, but that now will never seem the same again.

[retrieved from Amazon 2/16/2012]

Follows the fates of five interrelated families--American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh--as they move through the dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women's suffrage.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,679,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible