Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century…

Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Ken Follett

Member:JanicsEblen
Title:Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Signet (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 960 pages
Rating:*****

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (2010)

Winter of the World by Ken Follett (WiJiWiJi)
    All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (mcenroeucsb)
    War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk (mcenroeucsb)
    The Winds of War by Herman Wouk (mcenroeucsb)
    Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie (ddelmoni)
    ddelmoni: Non-fiction that reads like a novel.
    Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett (WiJiWiJi)
    World's End by Upton Sinclair (marieke54)
    marieke54: Volume 1 of Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series (that ends in the middle of the Cold War), a project similar to Follett's intended Century Trilogy.

English (159)  Spanish (10)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (3)  Japanese (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (188)
I would not call this a literary masterpiece, but I really enjoyed the story. The first of a trilogy, this novel encompasses the stories of five different families from approximately 1910 to 1923 as they deal with local issues and world events. The families are from the United States, England, Wales, Germany and Russia. They represent all walks of life and come together in different ways as the world experiences World War I, revolutions, and issues of women’s rights and social justice. It is an historical novel and has an interesting blend of real and fictional characters. For example, one of the U.S. characters is a junior advisor to Woodrow Wilson and one of the Russians is involved with Lenin and the Bolshevik revolution. Since the story is told from the perspectives of all five families, it incorporates details that range from speaking in the British House of Lords to fighting in the trenches in France to dealing in illegal whiskey during Prohibition to working in the coal mines of Wales. These varying perspectives provided one of the more intriguing aspects of the novel. We see the precursors to war, the war itself and the aftermath of treaties from the point of view of both the winners and the losers. I realized that I knew very little about this period of history, and enjoyed learning much more. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history. I eagerly await the second volume of the trilogy. The author has set the stage for Part II with intermarriages and children who will most likely emerge as characters in the next novel. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I really enjoyed parts of this book. I like historical fiction, and I especially liked learning about the Russian Revolution and the labor movement in England. However, some of war scenes were SO long and boring, and I got really tired of reading about all international relations and political issues related to World War I. If some of that would have been cut out, I would have enjoyed the book a lot more.

I realized while reading this book that I have always pictured Lenin as a rather large statue, rather than a real person. Lenin is a character in this book, and all the sudden while reading one scene I realized that I was picturing this big stone statue leading a political conversation with all these normal sized people. It made me laugh. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
The print book is close to 1,000 pages which translates to about 30 hours of listening time. John Lee is one of my favorite readers, and he did a fine job with this book.

Follett has created a saga much like he did in Pillars of the Earth. Fall of Giants is first in his Century Trilogy, and takes place just before, during, and shortly after WWI. It takes on WWI, the Russian Revolution, and the fight for Women's right to vote. It is the story of 5 families of English, Welsh, German, Russian and American backgrounds who are connected in various ways throughout the story. I found it to be an interesting way to learn more about the background of the beginning of the war, and of the Russian Revolution. Follett will follow these families and their children through the other two books in the trilogy.

July 2014 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
If there is one thing that can be said about Mr. Follett it would be that he certainly does not shy away from epic topics. In this book he moves from the medieval world of his last two epics to tackle the world during WW1, the Russion Revolution and the beginning of the movement for women’s equality. We meet five families of varying nationalities and follow them as they live through these monumental times in history. Of course, eventually these families interact and that is the basis for the story, wrapped in the events of history.

This is a BIG book … workout or doorstop BIG! However, Mr. Follett’s particular talent lies in his ability to not lose his characters by getting bogged down in the history. This makes for a thoroughly enjoyable, and often accidentally informative, read. I am looking forward to the next installment in the “Century Trilogy”.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This is the fifth novel by Follett I've read and it is certainly the worst of the ones I've read. .The events of World War One referred to are dumbed down as if author assumed the reader was learning of the events for the first time.. The characters are unbelievably stick-;like.. Even when interesting things are discussed I found the language boring and inane. There is no danger I will read volume II of the trilogy. . ( )
2 vote Schmerguls | Jun 27, 2015 |
Trotz peinlicher Sexszenen auf Groschenromanniveau und wie Untertassen dahinfliegender Dialoge: Ken Folletts neuer Roman ist gut recherchiert und freundlich-sozialdemokratisch - einer Verfilmung im Öffentlich-Rechtlichen steht nichts im Weg.

Die Aufteilung von erfundenen Schicksalen und weltgeschichtlich verbürgten Ereignissen löst Follett perfekt.
added by lophuels | editFocus, Jobst-Ulrich Brand (Oct 12, 2010)

Overall, Follett is ­masterly in conveying so much drama and historical information so vividly. He puts to good use the professional skills he has honed over the years — giving his characters a conversational style neither pseudo-quaint nor jarringly contemporary. That works well. And for all his belief in the redemptive quality of liberal humanism, he makes sure not to endow his characters with excessively modern sensibilities. As for the occasional cliché — well, unless you’re Tolstoy, you’re not going to have the time or the ability to be original throughout your 1,000-page blockbuster. Ken Follett is no Tolstoy, but he is a tireless storyteller, and although his tale has flaws, it’s grippingly told, and readable to the end.
added by lophuels | editNew York Times, Roger Boylan (Sep 30, 2010)

Despite all this, "Fall of Giants" offers pleasures that more than compensate for its lack of literary finesse. Follett may not be Tolstoy, but he knows how to tell a compelling, well-constructed story. Once its basic elements are in place, the narrative acquires a cumulative, deceptively effortless momentum.

A lot happens on the first page of Ken Follett’s “Fall of Giants.” King George V is crowned at Westminster Abbey. A Welsh boy named Billy Williams turns 13 and begins his wretched life as a coal miner. And Mr. Follett, who was once a Welsh boy himself but grew up to become his generation’s most vaunted writer of colorless historical epics, kicks off a whopping new trilogy. His apparent ambition: to span the whole 20th century in blandly adequate novels so fat that they’re hard to hoist.

Follett, Kenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
AnuvelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mas, ElisendaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my parents, Martin and Veenie Follett.
On the day King George V was crowned at Westminster Abbey in London, Billy Williams went down the pit in Aberowen, South Wales.

In 1911 verandert de wereld voorgoed. Arbeiders laten zich niet langer onderdrukken, vrouwen eisen hun rechten op, de rijke aristocratie kan haar macht niet langer handhaven. En overal fluisteren diplomaten elkaar woorden in die het lot van miljoenen mensen over de hele wereld zullen veranderen.Aan de vooravond van de Eerste Wereldoorlog proberen acht mensen hun weg in deze roerige wereld te vinden: Gus Dewar, rechterhand van de Amerikaanse president; Lev en Grigori Pesjkov, twee arme Russische broers op zoek naar een beter leven; mijnwerker Billy Williams en zijn ambitieuze zus Ethel, huishoudster van de vermogende graaf Fitzherbert; de vrijzinnige lady Maud en haar geliefde, de Duitse diplomaat Walter von Ulrich.Terwijl hun levens elkaar kruisen, dragen deze mensen ieder op hun eigen manier bij aan een titanenstrijd die zijn weerga niet kent… Met Val der titanen, het eerste deel in de Century-trilogie, staat Ken Follett garant voor levensechte personages, een feilloos historisch decor en een onvergetelijke leeservaring.
***************

A thirteen-year-old Welsh boy enters a man's world in the mining pits; an American law student rejected by love finds a surprising new career in Woodrow Wilson's White House; a housekeeper for the aristocratic Fitzherberts takes a fateful step above her station, while Lady Maud Fitzherbert herself crosses deep into forbidden territory when she falls in love with a German spy; and two orphaned Russian brothers embark on radically different paths when their plan to emigrate to America falls afoul of war, conscription, and revolution.

From the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty, Fall of Giants takes readers into the inextricably entangled fates of five families-and into a century that we thought we knew, but that now will never seem the same again.

[retrieved from Amazon 2/16/2012]

Follows the fates of five interrelated families--American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh--as they move through the dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women's suffrage.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,017,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible