Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century…

Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Ken Follett

Member:revslick
Title:Fall of Giants: Book One of the Century Trilogy
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Signet (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 960 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013 read

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (2010)

Winter of the World by Ken Follett (WiJiWiJi)
    War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk (mcenroeucsb)
    The Winds of War by Herman Wouk (mcenroeucsb)
    All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (mcenroeucsb)
    Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie (ddelmoni)
    ddelmoni: Non-fiction that reads like a novel.
    World's End by Upton Sinclair (marieke54)
    marieke54: Volume 1 of Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series (that ends in the middle of the Cold War), a project similar to Follett's intended Century Trilogy.

English (129)  Spanish (10)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  Japanese (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (155)
Schitterend boek dat je meeneemt naar de vooravond van de Eerste Wereldoorlog en doet kennis maken met sterke personages. Historische meeslepende boeken zijn het handelsmerk van Ken Follett. En vergis je niet: dit boek is echt wel goed. Toch ergerde het me soms dat Follett iets te veel wilde dat zijn personages de grote gebeurtenissen van '14-'18 van dichtbij beleefden of zelfs sleutelrollen in laten spelen. Jammer want zo krijg je als lezer enkel perspectief van de Duitse elite via het personage Walter Von Ulrich.
Het was een plezier om te lezen, vooral omdat het een prachtig beeld geeft van de diplomatische kant van de oorlog. ( )
  pieterserrien | Aug 16, 2014 |
A lot of research went into writing this book which told the story of characters in Russia, England, America and Germany. The book begins prior to the first world war and finishes prior to the second world war. You see some of the pivotal events of that time period through the eyes of the characters. It is extremely well written. I look forward to reading or listening to book two. ( )
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |
I seemed to have settled into historical fiction being one of my favorite genres and this book was a page turner for me. Set in the WW1 era, it tells the story of several families of different nationalities and how their lives converge.

This is Book One of the Century Trilogy and have books two (Winter of the World) and three (pre-ordered for September delivery) queued up. ( )
  azrowan | Jun 25, 2014 |
I found myself flying through this book too quickly. My book club doesn't meet to discuss it until this coming Monday, and I was at risk of finishing it at Christmas time. So I put it on hold for a slimmer book to take on my plane rides for the holiday.

When I came back to the book with about 300 pages left, I found that I'd lost momentum, but I think that's more my fault than Follett's.

I was never much of a history student. If my textbooks had as much sex in them as Follett injects into his characters in Europe during World War I, I might have felt differently.

He puts the war and its lead-up in perspective, from the points of view of Brits, Germans, Americans and Russians. Perhaps the latter half gets more bogged down in the technicalities of the war, and that's why I lost momentum, but it's still a very exciting book with an intriguing cast of characters.

I'm looking forward to part 2, to see what happens to these characters during the second world war.
  keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
Trotz peinlicher Sexszenen auf Groschenromanniveau und wie Untertassen dahinfliegender Dialoge: Ken Folletts neuer Roman ist gut recherchiert und freundlich-sozialdemokratisch - einer Verfilmung im Öffentlich-Rechtlichen steht nichts im Weg.

Die Aufteilung von erfundenen Schicksalen und weltgeschichtlich verbürgten Ereignissen löst Follett perfekt.
added by lophuels | editFocus, Jobst-Ulrich Brand (Oct 12, 2010)

Overall, Follett is ­masterly in conveying so much drama and historical information so vividly. He puts to good use the professional skills he has honed over the years — giving his characters a conversational style neither pseudo-quaint nor jarringly contemporary. That works well. And for all his belief in the redemptive quality of liberal humanism, he makes sure not to endow his characters with excessively modern sensibilities. As for the occasional cliché — well, unless you’re Tolstoy, you’re not going to have the time or the ability to be original throughout your 1,000-page blockbuster. Ken Follett is no Tolstoy, but he is a tireless storyteller, and although his tale has flaws, it’s grippingly told, and readable to the end.
added by lophuels | editNew York Times, Roger Boylan (Sep 30, 2010)

Despite all this, "Fall of Giants" offers pleasures that more than compensate for its lack of literary finesse. Follett may not be Tolstoy, but he knows how to tell a compelling, well-constructed story. Once its basic elements are in place, the narrative acquires a cumulative, deceptively effortless momentum.

A lot happens on the first page of Ken Follett’s “Fall of Giants.” King George V is crowned at Westminster Abbey. A Welsh boy named Billy Williams turns 13 and begins his wretched life as a coal miner. And Mr. Follett, who was once a Welsh boy himself but grew up to become his generation’s most vaunted writer of colorless historical epics, kicks off a whopping new trilogy. His apparent ambition: to span the whole 20th century in blandly adequate novels so fat that they’re hard to hoist.

Follett, Kenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
AnuvelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mas, ElisendaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my parents, Martin and Veenie Follett.
On the day King George V was crowned at Westminster Abbey in London, Billy Williams went down the pit in Aberowen, South Wales.

In 1911 verandert de wereld voorgoed. Arbeiders laten zich niet langer onderdrukken, vrouwen eisen hun rechten op, de rijke aristocratie kan haar macht niet langer handhaven. En overal fluisteren diplomaten elkaar woorden in die het lot van miljoenen mensen over de hele wereld zullen veranderen.Aan de vooravond van de Eerste Wereldoorlog proberen acht mensen hun weg in deze roerige wereld te vinden: Gus Dewar, rechterhand van de Amerikaanse president; Lev en Grigori Pesjkov, twee arme Russische broers op zoek naar een beter leven; mijnwerker Billy Williams en zijn ambitieuze zus Ethel, huishoudster van de vermogende graaf Fitzherbert; de vrijzinnige lady Maud en haar geliefde, de Duitse diplomaat Walter von Ulrich.Terwijl hun levens elkaar kruisen, dragen deze mensen ieder op hun eigen manier bij aan een titanenstrijd die zijn weerga niet kent… Met Val der titanen, het eerste deel in de Century-trilogie, staat Ken Follett garant voor levensechte personages, een feilloos historisch decor en een onvergetelijke leeservaring.
***************

A thirteen-year-old Welsh boy enters a man's world in the mining pits; an American law student rejected by love finds a surprising new career in Woodrow Wilson's White House; a housekeeper for the aristocratic Fitzherberts takes a fateful step above her station, while Lady Maud Fitzherbert herself crosses deep into forbidden territory when she falls in love with a German spy; and two orphaned Russian brothers embark on radically different paths when their plan to emigrate to America falls afoul of war, conscription, and revolution.

From the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty, Fall of Giants takes readers into the inextricably entangled fates of five families-and into a century that we thought we knew, but that now will never seem the same again.

[retrieved from Amazon 2/16/2012]

Follows the fates of five interrelated families--American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh--as they move through the dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women's suffrage.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,291,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible