Perchance to Dream: Theatre Illuminata #2 by…

Perchance to Dream: Theatre Illuminata #2 (edition 2010)

by Lisa Mantchev

Member:stephxsu
Title:Perchance to Dream: Theatre Illuminata #2
Authors:Lisa Mantchev
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2010), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:young adult, fantasy, magic, love triangle, fathers

Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev

Recently added byRachael_Reads, Alexiea, apostate, fierylibra, private library, RandomDSdevel, devafagan, EmFisher

English (23)  Swedish (1)  All languages (24)
A whirlwind of luscious prose and gorgeous images. And there's a circus!

I appreciated that the love triangle wasn't just about "which boy do I belong with" (or worse, to) as in some books/movies, but also made her ask "what is mine? who am I, myself?"

I look forward to seeing how it all wraps up in the third installment of this delightful series.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Eyes Like Stars was the first book in this series and I really got transported into the world that was like Toys Story world with plays all with a spunky teenger Bertie. The second book which I was very much looking forward to reading fell kind of flat. I looked back at the ratings felt kind of out of place amongst the high marks. The plot is creative, the characters are witty and fun, I just couldn't really get too much into the book. Thought finding out her father was a bird man creature really threw me off . I was routing for Ariel, but that might be because you got to know him a little more. ( )
  ottilieweber | Apr 24, 2014 |
I really can't say why I like this series so much. Heavy fantasy with a love triangle, shouldn't be that remarkable. But its so unique, the mixing of folktales and classic Shakespearean stories, the weaving of classic romance tropes with modern feminism. And it's just such a fun world where absolutely anything can happen. It reminds me a lot of Labyrinth so that could be part of it. And writing isn't too shabby.

"Seek out the company of those who will never ask you to jump," the earth advised.
Bertie remembered the rush of feather as she soared above the audience. "I can catch myself."
"Of those whose love will never fill your lungs with water - " the earth argued.
"But it did not kill me."
"There should be more to love," said the earth, "than 'it did not kill me.' More than 'I survived it.'" - pg 316 ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
I figured I might as well read the second book, since I read the first one and it was sitting right there. My reaction was pretty much the same as for the first book. [Nov. 2010] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
'Perchance to Dream' is the sequel to 'Eyes Like Stars'. Book two in the 'Theatre Illuminata' series, 'Perchance to Dream' was an enjoyable, fun read. Similar to my experience with 'Eyes Like Stars', I found that while I whipped through 'Perchance to Dream' and liked the story, I was still a bit confused during certain bits-- mostly action parts. There are a lot of inside jokes that pertain to plays, especially Shakespeare. Myself, I missed a lot of them because I'm not too into the Shakespeare/Classic play scene. Theater lovers should get the references right away, though.

MORE AT MY BLOG (Brookes Box of Books):
http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-perchance-to-dream-by-lisa.... ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Lisa Mantchevprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my husband, who not only learned the tango, but the waltz, the fox-trot, and the West Coast Swing
It s a truth universally acknowledged," Mustardseed said, flying in lazy loops like an intoxicated bumblebee, "that a fairy in possession of a good appetite must be in want of pie."

From the critically acclaimed author of Eyes Like Stars

We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

Act Two, Scene One

Growing up in the enchanted Thèâtre Illuminata, Beatrice Shakespeare Smith learned everything about every play ever written. She knew the Players and their parts, but she didn’t know that she, too, had magic. Now, she is the Mistress of Revels, the Teller of Tales, and determined to follow her stars. She is ready for the outside world.

Enter BERTIE AND COMPANY

But the outside world soon proves more topsy-turvy than any stage production. Bertie can make things happen by writing them, but outside the protective walls of the Thèâtre, nothing goes as planned. And her magic cannot help her make a decision between—

Nate: Her suave and swashbuckling pirate, now in mortal peril.

Ariel: A brooding, yet seductive, air spirit whose true motives remain unclear.

When Nate is kidnapped and taken prisoner by the Sea Goddess, only Bertie can free him. She and her fairy sidekicks embark on a journey aboard the Thèâtre’s caravan, using Bertie’s word magic to guide them. Along the way, they collect a sneak-thief, who has in his possession something most valuable, and meet The Mysterious Stranger, Bertie’s father—and the creator of the scrimshaw medallion. Bertie’s dreams are haunted by Nate, whose love for Bertie is keeping him alive, but in the daytime, it’s Ariel who is tantalizingly close, and the one she is falling for. Who does Bertie love the most? And will her magic be powerful enough to save her once she enters the Sea Goddess’s lair?

Once again, LISA MANTCHEV has spun a tale like no other—full of romance, magic, adventure, and fairies, too—that readers won’t want to put down, even after the curtain has closed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:34 -0400)

Bertie, who is blessed with word magic, and her fairy sidekicks seek to save Nate, who has been kidnapped by the Sea Witch, but Bertie is torn between Nate and Ariel, an air spirit who loves Bertie enough to die for her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,860,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible