Perchance to Dream: Theatre Illuminata #2 by…

Perchance to Dream: Theatre Illuminata #2 (edition 2010)

by Lisa Mantchev

Member:stephxsu
Title:Perchance to Dream: Theatre Illuminata #2
Authors:Lisa Mantchev
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2010), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:young adult, fantasy, magic, love triangle, fathers

Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev

Recently added byprivate library, dm13, agriffey, ManthaLockett, brainx, Brittany.Marie.Ellis, Destiny_Burns
12+ (1) 2010 (2) 2010-08 (2) adventure (3) Ariel (2) ebook (5) faerie (5) Fair Folk (1) fairies (5) fantasy (41) fathers (2) fiction (13) hardcover (2) Home Library (1) library (2) lisa mantchev (2) magic (9) Nate (2) read in 2010 (2) romance (6) series (6) Shakespeare (13) signed (2) teen (2) theatre (12) Theatre Illuminata (3) to-read (12) trilogy (3) YA (22) young adult (20)

Eyes Like Stars was the first book in this series and I really got transported into the world that was like Toys Story world with plays all with a spunky teenger Bertie. The second book which I was very much looking forward to reading fell kind of flat. I looked back at the ratings felt kind of out of place amongst the high marks. The plot is creative, the characters are witty and fun, I just couldn't really get too much into the book. Thought finding out her father was a bird man creature really threw me off . I was routing for Ariel, but that might be because you got to know him a little more. ( )
  ottilieweber | Apr 24, 2014 |
I really can't say why I like this series so much. Heavy fantasy with a love triangle, shouldn't be that remarkable. But its so unique, the mixing of folktales and classic Shakespearean stories, the weaving of classic romance tropes with modern feminism. And it's just such a fun world where absolutely anything can happen. It reminds me a lot of Labyrinth so that could be part of it. And writing isn't too shabby.

"Seek out the company of those who will never ask you to jump," the earth advised.
Bertie remembered the rush of feather as she soared above the audience. "I can catch myself."
"Of those whose love will never fill your lungs with water - " the earth argued.
"But it did not kill me."
"There should be more to love," said the earth, "than 'it did not kill me.' More than 'I survived it.'" - pg 316 ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
I figured I might as well read the second book, since I read the first one and it was sitting right there. My reaction was pretty much the same as for the first book. [Nov. 2010] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
'Perchance to Dream' is the sequel to 'Eyes Like Stars'. Book two in the 'Theatre Illuminata' series, 'Perchance to Dream' was an enjoyable, fun read. Similar to my experience with 'Eyes Like Stars', I found that while I whipped through 'Perchance to Dream' and liked the story, I was still a bit confused during certain bits-- mostly action parts. There are a lot of inside jokes that pertain to plays, especially Shakespeare. Myself, I missed a lot of them because I'm not too into the Shakespeare/Classic play scene. Theater lovers should get the references right away, though.

MORE AT MY BLOG (Brookes Box of Books):
http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-perchance-to-dream-by-lisa.... ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Brought to you by TeamNerd Reviewer Annabell Cadiz

Perchance to Dream is the second installment in the Theatre Illuminata Trilogy. Bertie has left the enchantment of the Theatre in order to rescue Nate. But she hasn’t gone alone, the irresistible Ariel and as always her four faithful fairy companions: Moth, Peaseblossom, Cobweb, and Mustardseed, have tagged along on the adventure. And true to form, they manage to get themselves in all sorts of wild and entertaining predicaments.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the four fairies. They are just too funny and oh so much fun to read! From their crazy antics and pranks to their outlandish sayings, you will find yourself laughing out loud throughout most of the book. One of my favorite parts is when Peaseblossom thinks she’s finally fallen in love, you won’t believe who she chooses! Cobweb, Mustardseed, and Moth are as always: crude, jokesters, and hungry! They manage to get themselves (along with Bertie and Ariel) into a heap of trouble when they come upon a wedding FULL of food. Oh boy!

A new character makes his way into Bertie’s adventure: Waschbar, the sneak-thief. Waschbar turns out to be just as clever as the fairies but with a good heart and better logic. He joins Bertie and her crew when Bertie uses The Book (the one that holds the origins of every Player) to help get her and the others out some dangerous trouble.

Bertie manages to get herself and her band of interesting sidekicks into a lot of trouble on her own though. Still not use to being the Mistress of Revels, The Teller of Tales, every time she writes something new in The Book, something always seems to go wrong and turns everything topsy-turvy.

Ariel is still determined to keep Bertie safe (and all the while greasing on his charm and sexiness)– which Bertie finds herself drawn to more and more.

Even from the Sea Goddess lair, Nate is still very much alive in Bertie– well, in her dreams that is. Bertie’s guilt continues to magnify the more she dreams of Nate because he is fading, and quickly, there is only so much time left for her to save him.

Perchance to Dream was DELICIOUS, VIVID, AND HILARIOUS! Bertie is strong willed and stubborn and loyal– a beautiful heroine girls of any age will love to read and find a connection with.

If you haven’t read Eyes Like Stars and Perchance to Dream than you are missing out on two of the best young adult novels out there! Full of beautiful fantasy, rowdy characters, a sassy lead heroine, and crazy antics– you will find yourself devouring every word of the Theatre Illuminata Trilogy. ( )
  TeamNerdReviews | Jul 2, 2012 |

Lisa Mantchevprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my husband, who not only learned the tango, but the waltz, the fox-trot, and the West Coast Swing
It s a truth universally acknowledged," Mustardseed said, flying in lazy loops like an intoxicated bumblebee, "that a fairy in possession of a good appetite must be in want of pie."

From the critically acclaimed author of Eyes Like Stars

We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

Act Two, Scene One

Growing up in the enchanted Thèâtre Illuminata, Beatrice Shakespeare Smith learned everything about every play ever written. She knew the Players and their parts, but she didn’t know that she, too, had magic. Now, she is the Mistress of Revels, the Teller of Tales, and determined to follow her stars. She is ready for the outside world.

Enter BERTIE AND COMPANY

But the outside world soon proves more topsy-turvy than any stage production. Bertie can make things happen by writing them, but outside the protective walls of the Thèâtre, nothing goes as planned. And her magic cannot help her make a decision between—

Nate: Her suave and swashbuckling pirate, now in mortal peril.

Ariel: A brooding, yet seductive, air spirit whose true motives remain unclear.

When Nate is kidnapped and taken prisoner by the Sea Goddess, only Bertie can free him. She and her fairy sidekicks embark on a journey aboard the Thèâtre’s caravan, using Bertie’s word magic to guide them. Along the way, they collect a sneak-thief, who has in his possession something most valuable, and meet The Mysterious Stranger, Bertie’s father—and the creator of the scrimshaw medallion. Bertie’s dreams are haunted by Nate, whose love for Bertie is keeping him alive, but in the daytime, it’s Ariel who is tantalizingly close, and the one she is falling for. Who does Bertie love the most? And will her magic be powerful enough to save her once she enters the Sea Goddess’s lair?

Once again, LISA MANTCHEV has spun a tale like no other—full of romance, magic, adventure, and fairies, too—that readers won’t want to put down, even after the curtain has closed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:34 -0400)

Bertie, who is blessed with word magic, and her fairy sidekicks seek to save Nate, who has been kidnapped by the Sea Witch, but Bertie is torn between Nate and Ariel, an air spirit who loves Bertie enough to die for her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,499,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible