First Light by Rebecca Stead

First Light (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Rebecca Stead

Member:annie-b
Title:First Light
Authors:Rebecca Stead
Info:Yearling (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:juvenile fiction, antarctic, science fiction, overdrive ebook

First Light by Rebecca Stead (2007)

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: similar culture underground

What an amazing story. Covers so many topics, from family relationships to our environment. I was glued to the story from beginning to end! ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
I loved this book and how believable the storyline was despite its clear fantasy genre. I loved that nothing happened because of magic or without an explanation. I also loved the characters and found them to be very believable. I loved the world painted in this novel as well; thinking about a world completely under ice was a wonderful idea that really made my imagination come alive. I also really appreciated the way that explanations of concepts like global warming and DNA were integrated into the storyline in such a cool way, making the book interdisciplinary in a delicious way. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jun 14, 2015 |
Peter is thrilled to join his parents on an expedition to Greenland, where his father studies global warming. He will get to skip school, drive a dogsled, and –finally- share in his dad’s adventures. But on the ice cap, Peter struggles to understand a series of visions that both frighten and entice him.
Thea has never seen the sun. Her extraordinary people, suspected of witchcraft and nearly driven to extinction, have retreated to a secret world they’ve built deep inside the arctic ice. As Thea dreams of a path to Earth’s surface, Peter’s search for answers brings him ever closer to her hidden home.- FROM BACK COVER
Great combination of arctic science, landscape, and detail. Alternating narration – Thea & Peter, both realistic young teens. Reading level 5.6; I’d recommend for 6-9th graders. ( )
  BDartnall | Apr 23, 2015 |
Rebecca Stead does it again! This was actually her first book. I was introduced to her with When You Reach Me. I have loved everything I have read of hers. I look forward to anything she writes. I'm a fan! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Liked, didn't love, and didn't find enough *content* in Thea's world to call this dystopian, or post-apocalyptic. Also, I called the Big Reveal the instant they found the tunnel, and by that point I was only half-paying attention to the story.

Readalikes: The White Darkness, City of Ember.

My first ebook from Overdrive, though, and that process was far less painful than I'd anticipated. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
For my mother, Deborah, whose loving heart could warm even the coldest places, and for my father, David, true believer
Most boys his age had never touched paper.

PETER IS THRILLED to leave New York City to accompany his parents on an expedition to Greenland to study global warming. There he has visions of things that should be too far away for him to see.

Generations ago, the people of Thea’s community were hunted for possessing unusual abilities, so they fled beneath the ice. Thea needs help that only Peter can give. Their meeting reveals secrets of both their pasts, and changes the future for them both forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Peter and his family arrive in Greenland for his father's research, he stumbles upon a secret his mother has been hiding from him all his life, and begins an adventure he never imagines possible.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,439,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible