You only live twice by Ian Fleming
Member:agneson9
Title:You only live twice
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:London : AudioGO, 2012.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:grp-fiction, for-adult, grp-gen, series

You Only Live Twice by Ian Fleming

English (28)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (30)
This took forever to get going, first half full of japanese lifestyle, which while interesting, slowed any action to almost nil. Can see why the film plot bears little relation to the book! ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Feb 3, 2018 |
Rifarsi una vita

Un uomo che non è un uomo come tutti gli altri, ma stavolta, come tutti gli altri è caduto in un profondo abisso. La morte della sua Tracy, sposata da poche ore, ha distrutto quello che nessun potere occulto, nessuna mostruosità vivente, nessuna missione impossibile erano riusciti ad abbattere. James non è più lui e trascina le sue giornate senza trovarvi più una ragione, mettendo addirittura a repentaglio la vita di altri agenti nelle missioni. Ma M, ancora una volta saprà dove colpire. Una missione "suicida" riporterà l'uomo alla vita e alle gioie della semplicità, anche se non per sempre. ( )
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |
You Only Live Twice by Ian Fleming is the 11th novel featuring the famous British agent James Bond, 007. The book was published in 1964 and is the last one to be published while Mr. Fleming was still alive.

James Bond, a broken man, let his life and work slide but gets a last-chance to redeem his downward spiraling career by being assigned a diplomatic task. But nothing is simple in the Secret Service and Bond is handed an impossible assignment, to convince Tiger Tanaka, head of the Japanese Secret Service, to provide Britain with capture Soviet radio transmissions.

Bond soon finds out that he has nothing to bargain with his Japanese counterpart except his skills as an assassin, when Mr. Tanaka asks him to kill Dr. Shatterhand, who is a political embarrassment to Japan. Bond discovers that the doctor is his old enemy, Ernst Stavro Blofeld and gladly accepts the assignment.

You Only Live Twice by Ian Fleming is a sad book. Mr. Fleming realized that after World War II, England was no longer the world power it once was and lets it all out on the page in a dialog which must have been torturous to write between Bond and the head of the Japanese Secret Service.

The novel is the last one in the Blofeld Trilogy (along with Thunderball, and On Her Majesty’s Secret Service) and starts where On Her Majesty’s Secret Service ended, with Bond mourning the loss of Tracy, his wife. I can certainly forgive the preposterous plot and gloss over quips made during a different time, but there was one point which was so ludicrous I couldn’t ignore that, frankly, ruined much of the book for me. James Bond, meticulous specimen of England, goes successfully undercover as a Japanese man by… darkening his skin and shaving his eyebrows – even I couldn’t see that happening.

I feel as if in this novel, the reader got to know more about Bond than all the other ones combined. At first we meet a broken man, who turns into a ruthless killer bent on revenge, towards the end we read M’s touching obituary, in which we learn more about the character.

The book, once again, ends with a cliffhanger which actually made me want to start the next one almost immediately. Regardless of the issues, much like other books in the series, this one is also fun, but not as fast a ride as the others.

For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com ( )
  ZoharLaor | Nov 18, 2017 |
So much build-up for very little reward. This book was *mostly* James learning to hide himself via yellow-face in Japan and living an amnesia-tic double life with the Bond-girl du jour. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 16, 2017 |
Later Bond. Have been reading these in order, each year I take one on our winter vacation. Went to the local used book store last minute and this was the only one they had. I enjoyed this one a great deal. On the shorter side I believe, read quickly anyway. The usual issues to grapple with here, as always there is at least a hint of intolerance/stereotyping/racism in his books, but it usually seems like 'of the time' as they say. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 13, 2017 |
You only live twice:
Once when you are born,
and once when you look death in the face.
To Richard Hughes and Torao Saito, But for whom etc....
The geisha called 'Trembling Leaf', on her knees beside James Bond, leant forward from the waist and kissed him chastely on the right cheek.

The James Bond Adventure Novel that takes 007 to the exotic Orient... to the suicide gardens of the maniacal Dr. Shatterhand... and the arms of the most enticing heroine Fleming ever created, the delightful KISSY SUZUKI.

On the brink of becoming a security risk after the death of his wife, Secret Service agent 007 is sent to Japan and encounters an old enemy.

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,842,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible